RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Strange beep every 15 minute or so

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 10:36 AM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange beep every 15 minute or so

Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2011 RX 350 AWD SFP w/ ebony interior for the wife. She loves the car and it drives like a dream.

However lately there's been a weird single beep that occurs every 15 minutes or so. I've tried replacing the key fob battery, making sure no interior/exterior lights are on, and making sure all doors/sunroof are closed. I tried locking the door to see if it works as well but no help. It doesn't affect anything in anyway as everything is operating as it should. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Bruce
Old 10-18-13, 11:37 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify, what does the beep sound like? Is it the same sound as when you lock/unlock your doors? Is it from the car or heard through the speakers? I don't think I'll be much help; however, I thought I'd get more information for those who know something. Things on the top of my head: is the parking brake fully released? I wonder if it has something to do with the security system not getting the right signal or something like that.
Old 10-18-13, 11:58 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's maybe your cell phone beeping, mine did the same thing when I rejected to synchronize the contact with my RX 450H, my cell phone beep every xx minutes until I syncrhonized the contacts couple of days later.
Old 10-18-13, 12:23 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Yeah - that's why I asked if it was coming through the speakers. I don't know if the "check my mail every 15 minutes" thing would come through the speakers or just the phone.
Old 10-18-13, 12:44 PM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mors
Yeah - that's why I asked if it was coming through the speakers. I don't know if the "check my mail every 15 minutes" thing would come through the speakers or just the phone.
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, it's a single beep that sounds similar to when you unlock/lock the vehicle. The engine & power is completely off so I don't think it's coming from the speaker. The wife's phone successfully transferred the contact from her cell to the vehicle so I don't think it's related to that.

A typical scenario of it happening is she'll drive the vehicle into the garage and shuts off engine like she normally would. Then about 15 minutes later the single beep will occur. I'm not sure if it continues indefinitely cause I've never kept track but it doesn't beep when the vehicle is driven or on accessory mode.
Old 10-20-13, 07:38 PM
Mors
Pole Position

I'm going to take another crack at this. The "one beep" makes me think of your doors locking. When you get home, do you lock the car? If not, after 15 minutes, wait for it to beep, then go check if your car is locked. I may be wrong, but I believe some Lexus vehicles had/have an automatic lock function on them when you walk away from the car and leave it unlocked. I wouldn't think it'd be 15 minutes, but if it's programmable, then it may. I didn't think RX's ever had this, but I could be wrong. Let me know what you find. My other thought would be - how close is your key fob to the car after you park it? I think the car and key fob continue to "communicate" with each other for a while if it's within 10 feet or so. And finally, does it have any aftermarket accessories installed? Remote Start?

Last edited by Mors; 10-20-13 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 09:40 AM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mors
I'm going to take another crack at this. The "one beep" makes me think of your doors locking. When you get home, do you lock the car? If not, after 15 minutes, wait for it to beep, then go check if your car is locked. I may be wrong, but I believe some Lexus vehicles had/have an automatic lock function on them when you walk away from the car and leave it unlocked. I wouldn't think it'd be 15 minutes, but if it's programmable, then it may. I didn't think RX's ever had this, but I could be wrong. Let me know what you find. My other thought would be - how close is your key fob to the car after you park it? I think the car and key fob continue to "communicate" with each other for a while if it's within 10 feet or so. And finally, does it have any aftermarket accessories installed? Remote Start?
I'm not sure if the beep occurs because the doors are unlock. I know she doesn't lock her car when it's in the garage and that's when the beep occurs. If that was the case, wouldn't a lot more owners bring up this topic if it was the case.

Over the weekend, I tried to pinpoint where the sound of the beep came from and it looks like it's coming from the driver's side rear quarter panel from inside the vehicle. In any case, I will do an experiment by locking her vehicle and see if the beep continues.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 10-21-13, 09:53 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Check where your spare tire is and those empty spaces. Maybe the previous owner left something in there thats causing the beep?
Old 10-21-13, 10:06 AM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Check where your spare tire is and those empty spaces. Maybe the previous owner left something in there thats causing the beep?
I'm not sure if I'll find anything because the beep just started happening a week ago (at least I discovered it). It doesn't hurt to check though so I will scavenge around around the trunk area to see if I can find anything. I'll try this and locking the doors, if all else fails I might just have to resort to the dealer since I'm still under warranty.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-13, 12:30 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

There is a way of saving location in the Nav and have it make an audible sound every time you get close to it. I set one for my work address and had it make a ding noise every time i get close.I've been just too lazy to turn it off. maybe your issue.
Originally Posted by titomang
Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2011 RX 350 AWD SFP w/ ebony interior for the wife. She loves the car and it drives like a dream.

However lately there's been a weird single beep that occurs every 15 minutes or so. I've tried replacing the key fob battery, making sure no interior/exterior lights are on, and making sure all doors/sunroof are closed. I tried locking the door to see if it works as well but no help. It doesn't affect anything in anyway as everything is operating as it should. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Bruce
Old 10-24-13, 04:00 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Auto-locking occurs, if you have it set up in the customization settings, when you unlock the car and you do not open a door. The car will relock after a set period of time. The max is 120 seconds.
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf

Yes, you can set locations in the nav to ding or beep when you get close, but I don't think that would happen with the car turned off.

The comment about the third party remote start is interesting. If the car has something third party, be it remote start or security, that could be the source of the 15 minute beep.
Old 10-24-13, 08:57 AM
titomang
Rookie

So I tried locking the doors w/ the mirrors folding in and so far I haven't heard the beep since. I'm going to do some experiment this weekend while washing the car while the car is lock/unlock to see if I hear the beep. We'll see I guess.

I checked in the trunk area and there's no other device or anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think the beep is related to the auto lock feature since it doesn't lock after a certain amount of time. Also, I don't recall my wife or myself setting up the destination reminder feature as well. I'll report back what I find though.

Thanks again.
Old 10-29-13, 03:04 PM
titomang
Rookie

Ok, so I know people hate threads where an OP ask a question and people chime in to help out but OP never post solution/update....I'm not like that.

I feel like a complete idiot...LOL. So I was detailing the RX over the weekend and had my music on so I didn't pay attention to the beep whatesoever. My wife said she needed to go to the grocery store and decided to take the RX. I figured I would just detailed my RL, all of a sudden while detailing my car I hear the beep. I was like I must be going out of my mind. I waited for the sound again and it turns out it just the freakin sprinkler system control unit in the garage next to where my wife parks her car. The beep indicated a low battery warning and I changed it.

And to think I was going to bring it to the dealer too... Well, there you have it folks. Thanks everyone for chiming in w/ potential solutions, it made me work harder than I really had to.
The following users liked this post:
ADStotts (05-05-20)
Old 10-29-13, 05:07 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds all too familiar. Smoke detector in my mother's house lead a merry chase once. She had new ones installed and she put an old one on a shelf in a closet.

Thanks for reporting back !!
Old 10-29-13, 05:10 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First, THANK YOU for following up and being honest with what the real problem was.

...honestly though, I just laughed out loud so long and so much that my dog woke up and came over to stare at me. Thanks for that!!! Glad "the problem", wasn't a big one. Enjoy that RX!

Quick Reply: Strange beep every 15 minute or so