RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lane Departure Warning System

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 05:20 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane Departure Warning System

This option is not available for Lexus RX vehicles. I am looking at aftermarket units on the internet (eBay). Has anyone installed one of these in their Lexus RX? Do you have any brand recommendations?

Thanks,

Neal
Old 10-11-13, 07:42 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Neal, it would be a significant project and retrofit if there is one.

FWIW, I ordered my MBZ with this feature (they call it Lane Keeping Assist) and it involves an integrated camera behind the rearview mirror that has continuous software detecting and monitoring lines in the road ahead, attempting to distinguish between the type of lines (as well as using the vehicle ahead of you if there is one, but no lines) and if it finds a situation where you are going outside your lane, it will physically vibrate my steering wheel for a short period -- sort of like going over those white road bump button thingees. The "adaptive" setting of the feature which I keep turned on, is further integrated with other vehicle systems to prevent more false alarms by knowing if the turn signals are on or not, if other safety systems (ABS, etc) are engaged, if the vehicle is accelerating or braking hard or is being steered actively, e.g. swerving to avoid an obstacle -- all so the vibration/notification won't go off when it shouldn't. A very nice refinement.

If an after-market version is available, I'd inspect it thoroughly before putting my money down to understand how it really functions. IMHO, if it is not integrated well enough with your other vehicle systems, the false alarms an after-market solution would produce would be an annoyance, likely causing you to just turn it off all-together or slowing your reaction if a real situation occurs one day since you may just think it's another "false alarm". Good luck on your pursuit!
Old 10-14-13, 11:40 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, Bert. Looks like no one else is going to chime in here. While doing my research on the lane departure system, I read an article which stated that cars with the feature experienced more accidents than those without. I guess I'll just continue trying to concentrate on keeping the RX in the lane.

Neal
Old 10-16-13, 03:52 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

check this out http://www.mobileye.com
Old 10-17-13, 05:14 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Thank you!