RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Obsidian a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 03:38 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obsidian a mistake?

Alright guys, I'm on a mission for a new RX. After looking at almost every color combination, I decided on Obsidian. However, one dealer told me that Obsidian is not clear-coated (which it may be clear-coated, but just single stage or whatever - that's not my debate here). He's pushing me towards Stargazer, but I think it has too many metallic flakes in it for my liking.

My question is how many of you out there have a black lexus and how difficult is it to keep it looking good (swirl marks, etc). I honestly will take the best care of it that I can, but I bet that'll last about 6 months, then I'll just take it to a detailer to wash it. I'm just way too busy to take the time once/twice a month to properly wash and wax my car. The little down time I have, I prefer to relax and do nothing. Yes, I know I should find time to always take proper care of the exterior of my car especially spending that much money on a car; however, I know I won't religiously do it (don't judge me).

I will be driving this car most days so it will be used quite a bit. I'd like to know if you really have to take the extra time and use very special care to prevent the swirl marks, or do most of you seem to have no issues with it taking it to a detailer, or what's the perfect key that I MUST do to properly care for it (as in I must use a clay bar, or I must wax it every 2 weeks, etc). OR am I asking too much and black is always going to show swirl marks no matter what.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-13, 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The Obsidian is one of the harder blacks to care for, and black in general is hard to care for. If you plan on having a professional detailer care for it, you might be okay. But one improper wash will swirl the hell out of obsidian paint.

BTW, "single stage" means no clearcoat.
Old 10-10-13, 05:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Discussed before. Read this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-issue.html
Old 10-10-13, 09:21 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Obsidian is the best looking color IMO, however the most difficult to maintain. I had my obsidian IS350 detailed by a professional detailer, swirls removed (not just covered with wax) and then opticoated. Results were great. Avoid brush car washers, If you like to wash your car yourself, use 2bucket method and real clean microfiber clothes. I am planning on putting an opticoat on my RX soon. I think it works great.
Check out the video of my IS350 the detailer made awhile back:
Old 10-10-13, 11:41 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I would get the stargazer black instead. the metallic hides the swirls better
Old 10-11-13, 05:59 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
I'm just way too busy to take the time once/twice a month to properly wash and wax my car. The little down time I have, I prefer to relax and do nothing. Thanks!
This pretty much answers your question for you. Anything other than Obsidian will be less work.
Old 10-11-13, 06:41 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got the stargazer, because I thought it would hide the swirls better. Looks pretty decent so far.
Old 10-11-13, 06:45 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had an Obsidian (down home we just call it black) Lexus since 2001, and find that proper care is not burdensome and worth the effort. Using wax requires a lot more time in the long run than a polymer finish, which gives a better look anyway. This photo was taken about 3 years ago. But if you just want to catch up on your sittin' around time, then skip the dark color cars and go for something in the beige area, as they are close to the color of road dust and do not conspicuously display the effects of inattention.
Attached Thumbnails Obsidian a mistake?-sc430-trunk.jpg  
Old 10-11-13, 07:02 AM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

Black is not a color, it's a part time job. If you enjoy finish correction, waxing and buffing- go for it. If you use automated or drive-through car washes, get used to swirls. When properly cared for, black is a good as it gets for a car; if not, it can be years of frustration, especially if someone buffs it out without using a DA polisher and gives you holograms in the finish. I see those everyday driving around L.A.
Old 10-11-13, 07:38 AM
JoeV
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 RX was Obsidian w/ parchment interior, and now I have the 2013 in the Stargazer w/black interior. It's definitely a "part time" job if you're **** about the appearance of you car as I am . I enjoy washing and detailing my cars, I'm retired and my cars never go through the car wash, except in winter, and then it's a hand wash car wash. After three years with the obsidian I gave it back to Lexus without any swirls, and a friend of mine bought it the day I gave it back. I found that keeping the parchment interior leather nice more of a pain than the obsidian.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-11-20)
Old 10-12-13, 07:34 AM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

I have to say Lexus has the softest paint of any vehicle I've ever owned; I don't know if this issue is with Fire Agate only or across their entire spectrum. I've owned BMW, Infiniti and GMC vehicles in the last ten years and none of them scratched as easily as my RX does.
Old 10-12-13, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Lexus paint is VERY soft overall. The downside is it scratches easily, the upside is it polishes out easily.
Old 10-12-13, 03:38 PM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Default Black paint survival guide

1- every few months take one step back from the car - it should look the same as before.
2.- Try not to use the car mid day. Early morning , dusk, and evening are best.
3.- always park with the passenger side facing the sun.
4.- Park across the street when visiting friends & relatives.

Black was a mistake - but I'm leasing for only 27 months.
It is the best color for the F Sport though.

Seriously ,
I purchased a Spotless water de-ionizer from Costco - I rinse the car and walk away - it really works.

Charlie
Old 10-14-13, 02:36 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I would get the stargazer black instead. the metallic hides the swirls better
I totally agree !
Old 10-14-13, 06:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll never own a black car again. Thirty minutes after a detail it would be covered with a layer of dust. Drive it anywhere and I'd have ugly bug splatter everywhere. Try to gently remove them and I'd have have swirls. Ditto for bird droppings. Drive it in the rain and it's a total mess. Then, if you live in the snow belt where salt is used, you may as well give up the thought of driving a shiny black car for several months.

Granted, nothing looks nicer than a freshly detailed black car, yet many other colors look good and don't require the same intense level of care to keep them looking good. IMHO, a slightly dirty Nebula Grey Pearl looks much nicer than a slightly dirty Obsidian. And face it, you very likely will not have an impeccably clean Obsidian car 90% of the time. I hated my black car when it was not just freshly detailed, which was most of the time as I had a real job and couldn't afford to just detail the car daily.

Finally, a note about paint softness. Black is the softest paint there is. Especially true when the black is not clear-coated. My black car was single stage and while correction was easy as the paint was really soft, I swear it would get swirls just by looking at it wrong.

Is Obsidian a mistake? For me the answer is a resounding YES.

Quick Reply: Obsidian a mistake?