RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Programming the garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 06:11 AM
ownerrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming the garage door opener

I have a Liftmaster 1280LMC-r garage door opener installed in my garage. I tried both methods listed in the RX350 manual to program the vehicle's remote. One method is to use an existing remote that came with the garage door opener to make the RX350 'learn' the code. The other is to use the "Learn" button on top of the garage door opener. Both methods are not working. Any tips or pointers?
Old 10-08-13, 07:06 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are other threads here you may want to check out -- do a quick search and you'll find them. Net likely is, Liftmaster made a change to some models a while back, and if you call their customer service number, you may well find they need to send you a repeater to convert signals from your new Liftmaster to what most cars like your Lexus can transmit. The Liftmaster website may also prove valuable.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-13, 01:26 PM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by ownerrx350
I have a Liftmaster 1280LMC-r garage door opener installed in my garage. I tried both methods listed in the RX350 manual to program the vehicle's remote. One method is to use an existing remote that came with the garage door opener to make the RX350 'learn' the code. The other is to use the "Learn" button on top of the garage door opener. Both methods are not working. Any tips or pointers?

this might work...
Old 10-13-13, 10:17 AM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi ownerrx350; try looking at other threads for more tips. I recall writing in one where my RX does not communicate with LiftMaster door opener. Lexus found that its system is not compatible with 433MHz frequencies. Thus, I still use my handheld opener.
Old 10-13-13, 12:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a pair of LiftMaster 2575's in my garage. It took me multiple attempts but eventually got them programmed. I repeated the programming procedure exactly the same way, repeatedly, to get them to work. It might be a timing issue but finally the settings were accepted. I recall having these same issues when setting up Homelink in my last Lexus.

The procedure:
1. Press and release the Learn button on the motor. The green learn light will light for 30 seconds.
2. Get back to the car and press and hold the Homelink button until the lights on the motor unit flash twice.

Again, I had to repeat this procedure multiple times and eventually it took.
Old 10-14-13, 11:24 PM
ownerrx350
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your responses. I got the following procedure from Chamberlain Liftmaster Support which worked for me. So I am posting it for the benefit of others who may face the same issue. Steps 1,2 and 4 are inside the car. Step 3 is on the Liftmaster opener.

The manual makes it sound like their are two methods to programming, but it is actually The first part of training and then the next part. After you do the part with the remote, you then go to the learn button and do the second part of training. I have included the instructions below.
-You should be parked right outside.
-Vehicle needs to be running or in the accessory position.

1. Press and hold the 2 outer Homelink buttons (1 & 3) release both buttons when the indicator light changes from a solid light to a rapid flash (this will take approximately 20 seconds). NOTE: Do not repeat this step to program additional Homelink buttons.

2. Position the hand-held remote as close as possible to the Homelink button you would like to program. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired Homelink button and the hand-held remote button. Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.

3. Press and release the "smart" or "learn" button once. Do not hold this button down. NOTE: Holding this button down too long will erase all devices programmed to your garage door opener.

4. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the programmed Homelink down for 3 seconds, 2 separate times.

Thanks again, to all those who replied, for taking the time to respond.
Old 10-15-13, 12:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you for your persistence and for coming back to post a resolution which worked for you to aid others who may follow in your footsteps.
Old 10-23-13, 08:43 AM
Who_Me
Rookie

At first, I had a problem programming my Liftmaster. The procedure for the hand-held remote opener just wouldn't work, so I tried setting it from the control head. That too didn't work from outside the garage. However, I pulled in the garage and stood in the car's driver side floor board and hit the "Learn" button on the control head and then jumped back in the car and it worked. When I went to program the second button to open my Daughter's Liftmaster, I was able to do it from outside the garage, with no problem. Go figure.
Old 10-23-13, 03:05 PM
redhead111
Driver School Candidate

This goes under it can only happen to me probably... Got 2 new Liftmaster installed today...installer tried to link...he thought it would not work since I have a 2006 moidel...but he tried.. Didn't work, so he suggested an extra remote and or a repeater...took the extra remote for now...good deal right? Well an hour later I go to start the car and the Smart key does not work.. Worked 5 minutes before the garage door tech guy tried to program...but now neither smart key fob works... I can start with the dead battery procedure...but remote doesn't work, the locks don'e work and as a I say..no Smart key functions at all... Go figure I guess it is off to Toyota?
Old 10-23-13, 03:22 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redhead111
This goes under it can only happen to me probably... Got 2 new Liftmaster installed today...installer tried to link...he thought it would not work since I have a 2006 moidel...but he tried.. Didn't work, so he suggested an extra remote and or a repeater...took the extra remote for now...good deal right? Well an hour later I go to start the car and the Smart key does not work.. Worked 5 minutes before the garage door tech guy tried to program...but now neither smart key fob works... I can start with the dead battery procedure...but remote doesn't work, the locks don'e work and as a I say..no Smart key functions at all... Go figure I guess it is off to Toyota?
Welcome to CL!

Try a new battery in your key first... Hopefully all a coincidence. You may also want to search on the 2nd Gen forum for your 2006 (3rd gen 2010+ folks are in this forum), but I don't remember any sort of programming that was customer-accessible in my 2006 RX400h key... I assume your garage door guy didn't tinker or manhandle your keys either! GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-30-13, 01:20 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

It may be helpful to look at this thread on Liftmaster's garage opener with the Security+2.0:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ity-2-0-a.html

Anyway, my take away from the experience is that 2010/2011 RX cannot communicate with Liftmaster's garage openers with Security+2.0 anti-theft technology. I choose not to use a repeater or program through the wireless keypad as those are work around solutions. My solution is to replace my entire '11 RX map light/Homelink unit with a 2012 equivalent.
Old 03-18-14, 06:02 PM
POZEST
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you all for your responses. I got the following procedure from Chamberlain Liftmaster Support which worked for me. So I am posting it for the benefit of others who may face the same issue. Steps 1,2 and 4 are inside the car. Step 3 is on the Liftmaster opener.

The manual makes it sound like their are two methods to programming, but it is actually The first part of training and then the next part. After you do the part with the remote, you then go to the learn button and do the second part of training. I have included the instructions below.
-You should be parked right outside.
-Vehicle needs to be running or in the accessory position.

1. Press and hold the 2 outer Homelink buttons (1 & 3) release both buttons when the indicator light changes from a solid light to a rapid flash (this will take approximately 20 seconds). NOTE: Do not repeat this step to program additional Homelink buttons.

2. Position the hand-held remote as close as possible to the Homelink button you would like to program. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired Homelink button and the hand-held remote button. Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.

3. Press and release the "smart" or "learn" button once. Do not hold this button down. NOTE: Holding this button down too long will erase all devices programmed to your garage door opener.

4. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the programmed Homelink down for 3 seconds, 2 separate times.

Thanks for posting these steps. AFter spending 30 minutes following the manual and my Liftmaster manual I came to this forum and found this thread & this post: It worked for me. Thank you so much. Hopefully I don't have to come back to this thread to post that something fell out of sync.
Old 03-19-14, 10:31 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I think when you hit the 2 outer homelink buttons you are erasing the old stored codes which is necessary to program in the new codes. You cannot program the new until the old is erased unless you use a different button.
Old 04-19-14, 03:46 AM
GeorgHH5
Driver School Candidate

Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.
if you have kept them pressed till LED light starts to rapidly flash - it means vehicle's remote red the code from hand remote - it must work... Maybe erase old data as Clutchless said and do it again. May be that will help: http://wnet.name/content/visor_compact_prog.html
Old 04-19-14, 03:04 PM
svidas
Rookie

I had to get a repeater to dumb down the signal from the new Liftmaster so it would work with our 2010 RX450h. The outside keypad also had to be replaced with a newer, compatible unit. Liftmaster has better security but it doesn't work for cars unless they are new enough to have the changes built in.

Quick Reply: Programming the garage door opener