RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

musty vents...ugh

Old 10-04-13, 06:27 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default musty vents...ugh

Maybe someone has a solution? I have a 2013 and after it sits for a day especially when it's warm the AC vents put out a moldy smell when starting. I've heard all the ideas of Turing off AC before shouting down engine but that shouldn't required for a Lexus of all cars. The dealer ran a refresh we thru the systems that helped for a few days but that was it. I've never had this problem with my 2004 RX. I also replaced the cabin filter with a charcoal based one. Seems a $45,000 vehicle shouldn't have this type of problem
Old 10-04-13, 07:41 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's normal. Try and turn recirculate off as this will help.
Old 10-04-13, 08:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Topic of previous discussion:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...the-vents.html
Old 10-07-13, 07:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Get this and follow the instructions. It works as advertised. I have 2 bottles in reserve...
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html
Old 10-07-13, 06:01 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i actually took it in and lexus used their 2 stage product...was nice for a few days and now back to musty...washoping someone had a solution that really figured out to solve once and for all...sounds like have to live with it...
Old 10-08-13, 07:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Get a can of spray Lysol in your favorite scent. Run the A/C at full blast in fresh air mode Spray Lysol into vents at base of windshield (outside of car) so it gets sucked into the system until you smell it or see it coming out the inside vents Shut off car and wait an hour or so for it to dry This is what dealers did back before the invention of the specialty car A/C smell removal products I know the local Honda dealer did this back in the nineties when I had a Honda
Old 10-08-13, 08:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I use a cleaner at least once a year and change the cabin filters every few months. No problems with smells for me. I've kept the default AC on setting too. Clutchless makes a good recommendation with spraying the outside vents. I'm sure it'll dissipate as you turn on the heat with it getting cooler. Good luck.
Old 10-08-13, 02:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
I use a cleaner at least once a year and change the cabin filters every few months. No problems with smells for me. I've kept the default AC on setting too. Clutchless makes a good recommendation with spraying the outside vents. I'm sure it'll dissipate as you turn on the heat with it getting cooler. Good luck.
Anita, you feel it necessary to change the cabin filter every few months? Seems a bit excessive. Perhaps every six months?
Old 10-08-13, 06:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Anita, you feel it necessary to change the cabin filter every few months? Seems a bit excessive. Perhaps every six months?
Well, I have a few more seasons than you I change the cabin filter every 4-5 months, not really that often. It catches crap and all, figure why not. And they're cheap enough.
Old 10-08-13, 10:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
Well, I have a few more seasons than you I change the cabin filter every 4-5 months, not really that often. It catches crap and all, figure why not. And they're cheap enough.
I still maintain a place up in PA and head there for a bit each year during the holidays as a reminder what real weather is like. There is only so much beach weather one can take before it becomes necessary to go somewhere which is grey and dreary.

My routine is to vacuum the cabin filter quarterly and replace yearly. I also spray the exterior vents with Lysol Crisp Linen in the Spring and Fall.
Old 10-09-13, 02:36 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no excuse for having to live with that. If your state has a lemon law, then take it in for the required time and have it declared a lemon. Others are not complaining that much. If you lived in Florida, you wouldn't have anywhere to go to have drier weather! If it was a problem with all Rx's then people in the south would be screaming!
Old 10-09-13, 03:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bextreme1
There is no excuse for having to live with that. If your state has a lemon law, then take it in for the required time and have it declared a lemon. Others are not complaining that much. If you lived in Florida, you wouldn't have anywhere to go to have drier weather! If it was a problem with all Rx's then people in the south would be screaming!
The problem I have with going that route in this case is that I do not believe it is possible to make a case for such. According to the MA Lemon Law web site:

The law defines a lemon as a new or leased motor vehicle that has a defect which substantially impairs the use, market value, or safety of the vehicle, and which has not been repaired after a reasonable number of attempts.

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/a...lemon-law.html

Has this problem substantially impaired the use or safety of the vehicle? More proof would need to be accumulated to make a case for such. Is it just a smell or is there a dangerous cause for the smell? Is this causing a medical problem? Where are the medical records and test to prove such?

Easy to wave the Lemon Law banner around but this case is much harder to prove than a mechanical problem. Continued pressure on the dealership and Lexus Customer Service for a solution may be the only course of action.
Old 10-09-13, 03:16 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Good luck on lemon law for that. Generally they only get it repurchased when it's something that affects vehicle safety. That being said, I've heard that Lexus won't even let a car go to lemon law and instead opt to terminate the vehicle agreement or move the customer to a different car.

It sounds more like the dealer isn't sufficiently treating the problem or there is some other variable at play. I've seen the odor, but it also seems much less of an issue or not even present when you run the car in the fresh air mode and turn off the re circulate option entirely a little ways before reaching your destination. But even at its worst, it's been minor.
Old 10-09-13, 04:03 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

What people in the lower states deal with and what people of upper states deal with is different, thats what my SA explained to me. He said especially being in Texas, and dealing with the crazy humidity our cars get that moldy smell much quicker then states up north. My other cars have this smell/ issue also. Nothing we can do i guess besides what has already been mentioned before.
Old 10-12-13, 02:25 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

My solution is move Would rather live further north anyways. TX is kinda flat and not as much to do unless you go even further south where the humidity is higher. More of a mountains person myself or large open fields with an actual fluctuation in seasons. We see so much heat and too little cold for my taste. But to each their own.

Anyone live in Boulder or Washington State?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: musty vents...ugh