RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any 2014 owners use Siri Eyes Free yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 04:08 PM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 2014 owners use Siri Eyes Free yet?

Are there any 2014 owners out there that have used the new Siri Eyes Free yet? I've seen one or two comments but otherwise not much. I'm curious how well it works in the RX in case Lexus does let 13' owners upgrade (although everything I've heard from my dealer friend is "keep dreaming" ).
Old 10-17-13, 05:48 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Originally Posted by Snype
Are there any 2014 owners out there that have used the new Siri Eyes Free yet? I've seen one or two comments but otherwise not much. I'm curious how well it works in the RX in case Lexus does let 13' owners upgrade (although everything I've heard from my dealer friend is "keep dreaming" ).
My wife took delivery of her 14 RX today and said Siri works as advertised.. She is very pleased!
After I got home today, she took me to dinner in it and demonstrated Siri sending texts, reading texts etc. My 13 LX will read texts to me, but it doesn't work the same as her new car.
Old 10-17-13, 06:37 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sidgriggs
My wife took delivery of her 14 RX today and said Siri works as advertised.. She is very pleased!
After I got home today, she took me to dinner in it and demonstrated Siri sending texts, reading texts etc. My 13 LX will read texts to me, but it doesn't work the same as her new car.
Same with the 2013 RX, text will be read. And you can respond using one of the 15 available text messages like " I'm driving, i will call you later"

You can edit these responses as well to fit your lifestyle.

We played a prank to one of our colleagues. " im on my way to my girlfriend's house." So excited!
His wife didn't find it funny at all

Anyway, to all iphone owners here, how many use SIRI? I had my iphone 5 for over a year now and i find it faster using spotlight or going directly to where i want to go in terms of apps.
I enjoyed SIRI for a week or two but i can't remember the last time i have used HER.
Old 10-17-13, 07:43 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, I dont use siri at all. I tried to make reservations through open table with her but it kept going in circles. Plus, something changed in IOS7 and it keeps telling me that she cant set my alarm when I know she can. Total DISOBEDIENCE
Old 10-18-13, 07:29 AM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by sidgriggs
That's great! I use Siri mainly for sending messages, checking scores and calling. I figure since it's got such a huge server farm for voice it'd be better than the standard Lexus VR.
Old 10-18-13, 07:31 AM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
Same with the 2013 RX, text will be read. And you can respond using one of the 15 available text messages like " I'm driving, i will call you later"
Doesn't work for iPhone's. Thanks for that Apple.
Old 10-18-13, 10:05 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Snype
Doesn't work for iPhone's. Thanks for that Apple.
do you have Verizon?
i have AT&T and i think it's working.
( unless i'm remembering The experience from my Toyota RAV4 EV which is basically the same system)

i will double check.
Old 10-18-13, 11:00 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Txt responses do not work on any '13 model with a iPhone. It will only read. Several 2013 models will be able to upgrade the software to take advantage of Siri eyes free. It just hasn't rolled out officially yet.
Old 10-18-13, 11:14 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Siri Eyes Free is the specific reason I waited for a 2014 to come out. Right now, I use Siri too much as it is while driving to read and send text messages (via my Bluetooth earpiece). With siri reading email messages now (finally), I think i'll use that feature too. Any and all cellphone usage in my town is illegal unless it's handsfree. I haven't picked up my 2014 yet (still waiting for the right color combo to come along and I didn't want to special order one). At any rate, I think I'll be happy with it once I get one. Sure I can get a 2013 for $5000-$6000 off, but I don't want to settle. I've waited awhile now - I'm sure I can hold out a bit longer. As far as I know, there hasn't been any concrete evidence that Lexus will upgrade the software on the 2013's, and I'm not taking that chance.
Old 10-18-13, 12:05 PM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Txt responses do not work on any '13 model with a iPhone. It will only read. Several 2013 models will be able to upgrade the software to take advantage of Siri eyes free. It just hasn't rolled out officially yet.
Right. Apple doesn't allow replies from the vehicle in their Bluetooth MAP implementation. Though, everything I've heard is that the 13's can't be updated.
Old 10-18-13, 12:52 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Here you go.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...avigation.html
Old 10-19-13, 07:41 AM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mors
Siri Eyes Free is the specific reason I waited for a 2014 to come out. Right now, I use Siri too much as it is while driving to read and send text messages (via my Bluetooth earpiece). With siri reading email messages now (finally), I think i'll use that feature too. Any and all cellphone usage in my town is illegal unless it's handsfree. I haven't picked up my 2014 yet (still waiting for the right color combo to come along and I didn't want to special order one). At any rate, I think I'll be happy with it once I get one. Sure I can get a 2013 for $5000-$6000 off, but I don't want to settle. I've waited awhile now - I'm sure I can hold out a bit longer. As far as I know, there hasn't been any concrete evidence that Lexus will upgrade the software on the 2013's, and I'm not taking that chance.
Could not have said it better myself. This is why I purchased the 14.
Old 10-23-13, 08:31 AM
Who_Me
Rookie

I use Android, so Siri doesn't work on my 2014 RX. However, I receive text message on the Nav Display and can send about 20 "canned" texts, while driving. I can also edit the canned texts, to suit my liking.

There are a lot of things on my 2014 that I don't like. The spare tire is a compact spare and located in the cargo area, taking up what I used to have as storage space. Side pockets for storage is significantly reduced. Center console doesn't slide forward/backward and storage is less. The "Door Ajar" warning light only tells you a door is ajar. My 2007 displayed which door was ajar, so I didn't have to walk around to see which one was ajar. My 2007 had the Mark Levinson sound system, which was far better than the premium sound in the 2014. The seats in my 2007 were far more comfortable than the 2014. The glove box on the 2014 is smaller. Mine doesn't have the small box at the mirror for sunglasses (it is taken up by the SOS button).

I still don't like the fact that most of the "Personalized Settings" have to be done by the Dealer. They should be be able to be changed by Owner.

All-in-all, I liked my 2007 much better than my 2014.
Old 11-01-13, 05:40 PM
Snype
Rookie

Any other 14' owners out there try this out yet?
Old 11-01-13, 08:58 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Who_Me
I use Android, so Siri doesn't work on my 2014 RX. However, I receive text message on the Nav Display and can send about 20 "canned" texts, while driving. I can also edit the canned texts, to suit my liking.

There are a lot of things on my 2014 that I don't like. The spare tire is a compact spare and located in the cargo area, taking up what I used to have as storage space. Side pockets for storage is significantly reduced. Center console doesn't slide forward/backward and storage is less. The "Door Ajar" warning light only tells you a door is ajar. My 2007 displayed which door was ajar, so I didn't have to walk around to see which one was ajar. My 2007 had the Mark Levinson sound system, which was far better than the premium sound in the 2014. The seats in my 2007 were far more comfortable than the 2014. The glove box on the 2014 is smaller. Mine doesn't have the small box at the mirror for sunglasses (it is taken up by the SOS button).

I still don't like the fact that most of the "Personalized Settings" have to be done by the Dealer. They should be be able to be changed by Owner.

All-in-all, I liked my 2007 much better than my 2014.

Check the hidden compartments inside the center console.
for lack of a better word, it's like a trap door that leads to a HUGE opening downward and forward.

Quick Reply: Any 2014 owners use Siri Eyes Free yet?