RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Costco Michelin Latitude Tour HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 04:36 AM
Ichthys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costco Michelin Latitude Tour HP

Costco has a price of $1,003.96 for four 235/60R18 Michelin Latitude Tour HP, installed, for my RX350AWD.

My dealer's Service Manager and Service Advisor criticized Costco by saying their Michelin Latitude Tour HP sku number reveals the "belt structure" and "belt configuration" and speed rating are infererior to the dealer's Michelin Latitude Tour HP. And because of that they charge $1,200 to install four.

Is there any truth that the Michelin Latitude Tour HP at Costco or Discount Tire or Sears have inferior quality to another Michelin Latitude Tour HP at the dealer?

Or is it just another dealer tactic to overcharge?

And what about the TPMS seal? Is there anything "extra" that has to be done when installing new tires? Or is this another gimmick?

And how often should these new tires be rotated?
Old 09-06-13, 05:45 AM
Hawkeye70
Driver School Candidate

I doubt seriously that the two tires are different. If they are, then, whoa...so called outlet tires are different than those from a "dealer"??? Find this hard to believe.

Second, don't worry about the rotation. Part of Costco's price includes lifetime rotation. They will inform you when you buy the tires when they should be rotated.

As for TPMS, the only thing you may have to perform is a "reset" of the TPMS system. That's it...unless of course the system is malfunctioning which I assume it is not. I also know they can address any value issue involving the TPMS if there are any(I am referring to the need to replace the valve stem assembly which the TPMS module attaches to. When Costco installed tires on my other vehicle, they recommended a new valve stem assembly (my recollection is that the cost per tire was around $14). .
Old 09-06-13, 06:42 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye70
I doubt seriously that the two tires are different. If they are, then, whoa...so called outlet tires are different than those from a "dealer"??? Find this hard to believe.

Second, don't worry about the rotation. Part of Costco's price includes lifetime rotation. They will inform you when you buy the tires when they should be rotated.

As for TPMS, the only thing you may have to perform is a "reset" of the TPMS system. That's it...unless of course the system is malfunctioning which I assume it is not. I also know they can address any value issue involving the TPMS if there are any(I am referring to the need to replace the valve stem assembly which the TPMS module attaches to. When Costco installed tires on my other vehicle, they recommended a new valve stem assembly (my recollection is that the cost per tire was around $14). .
Definitely NOT true; my Lexus dealer immediately looks at Discount Tires website, and offered me the tires for $258 a piece to match their price....I went to Discount tire instead;;;lifetime rotation and balancing!! As DT said, Let Lexus take care of the engine, let us take care of the tires; threw in free road hazard also; a major add on to Lexus!!
Old 09-06-13, 07:41 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

A dealer not telling the truth? Isn't that novel. Have had arguments with my dealer on a number of occasions over such things as why they did not perform a five tire rotation as described in the Owner's Manual. Was told the manual was wrong.

It is true that the original tires put on your vehicle by Lexus from Michelin at the factory my be unique and not the same sold at retail. I have seen this over the years when having a single tire replaced on a relatively new vehicle. What is sold through the retail channels is not exactly the same tire put on at the factory. Many reasons for this which I will not go into here but the practice is more rare these days. What is important is that your Lexus dealership is getting its tires from the same distribution system as everyone else. They do not have access to any special tire not available to every other tire shop in your area.

I went and had a look at Tire Rack to see what it said. They actually have four Michelin Latitude Tour HP listed for the P235/60R18 size. Two are 103H rated and the other two are V rated. The H rated tires seem to have similar specs. The two V rated do not with one having a Load Index of 102 and the other 103. The 102V is listed as an OEM tire with no Green X rating while the 103V is not listed as an OEM but does have a Green X rating as do the two H rated tires. All are 440 AA for tire wear, temperature and traction. Go to Tire Rack, look up your vehicle and have a look for yourselves.

So, which one of the lot is the one at Costco? If it is the same one as on their web site it is the OEM 102V rated tire.

There truly is additional information found on the sidewall of the tires which indicates construction. Have a look here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

Now, is one superior to another? If we are comparing all four available there are differences as you can see from the Tire Rack details though I am loathe to say any are bad choices and that any one is vastly superior. I would make sure you are getting one of the V rated tires as best possible. Not because you will ever go those speeds but because V rated tires are usually constructed stronger than H rated tires and that is what came on your RX. Which means the Costco tire is a very appropriate selection. Is it the same as the one your dealer is trying to sell you? Would be hard to say. If it is rated 102V it is the same. If it is the 103V then it is slightly different and that may be what they are touting due to its higher Load Rating.

BTW, starting yesterday there is a $70 rebate back from Costco on the Michelin tires. Just started in the new flyer.
Old 09-06-13, 07:42 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SKU number may be different at Costco, but that doesn't mean anything. Many products offered at Costco have a different model or sku number than you'd find at another retailer but the product is identical. That happens a lot with TVs and such. It's sort of like the mattress game where no two dealers ever had the same mattress "name" so it made comparing and price matching very difficult. There is no way the Costco variant of Michelin tire is inferior. If you need assurance, compare treadwear, temp, and any other rating on the two tire and you'll see they are the same. I hate these dealer tactics.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-06-13, 07:46 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

As for tire rotation, every 5K miles is recommended. If you drive less that 5K miles per year then you should have them rotated yearly as a precaution. This also allows for inspection during the rotation process.
Old 09-06-13, 09:31 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Be watchful when going to places like Discount Tire when it comes to rotation. The RX350 spec is to rotate the tires front to back on the same side of the vehicle, i.e., no cross rotating from one side of the vehicle to the other. Yet every time I go to Discount Tire for a rotation they start to rotate them diagonally and I have to remind them to rotate front to back only. Some say it makes no difference on a tire that isn't uni-directional but go argue with Lexus' engineers.

I've never bought tires from a dealer and probably won't. If you have an issue it usually is a hassle to get back to them and if travelling you are probably stuck with addressing a problem yourself. Buying at places like Discount Tire, or Costco gives you a shot at being close to an outlet in case you have a warranty claim.

Last edited by Evitzee; 09-06-13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 10:55 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Be watchful when going to places like Discount Tire when it comes to rotation. The RX350 spec is to rotate the tires front to back on the same side of the vehicle, i.e., no cross rotating from one side of the vehicle to the other. Yet every time I go to Discount Tire for a rotation they start to rotate them diagonally and I have to remind them to rotate front to back only. Some say it makes no difference on a tire that isn't uni-directional but go argue with Lexus' engineers.

I've never bought tires from a dealer and probably won't. If you have an issue it usually is a hassle to get back to them and if travelling you are probably stuck with addressing a problem yourself. Buying at places like Discount Tire, or Costco gives you a shot at being close to an outlet in case you have a warranty claim.
My discount tire ALWAYS does front to rear, checks air, balances, hand tightens lug nuts and let me know the condition of my tires; just as good as my Lexus dealer, but easier and quicker for me...
Old 09-06-13, 11:43 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am happy Costco tire customer. And i have the GREEN caps to prove it! LOL! ( on the Prius!)
I love the service AFTER you bought the tires, free rotation as others have mentioned, free repair if you hit a nail on the freeway etc.

I doubt that your stealership errr Dealer would do that for you.
Old 09-06-13, 02:27 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markrivers
I am happy Costco tire customer. And i have the GREEN caps to prove it! LOL! ( on the Prius!)
I love the service AFTER you bought the tires, free rotation as others have mentioned, free repair if you hit a nail on the freeway etc.

Sorry you paid $80 for your set of green caps; I laugh every time I see them on vehicles....
Old 09-06-13, 03:50 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
My discount tire ALWAYS does front to rear, checks air, balances, hand tightens lug nuts and let me know the condition of my tires; just as good as my Lexus dealer, but easier and quicker for me...
Can't beat DISCOUNT TIRE!
Old 09-07-13, 07:21 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dctex99
Quote:

Originally Posted by markrivers

Sorry you paid $80 for your set of green caps; I laugh every time I see them on vehicles....
Last time I got tires at Costco, there was no charge for the nitrogen fill. Certainly not $80 as I would never pay that. When I was tire shopping before going to Costco, I got the hard sell on nitrogen from an independent shop and it drove me away from them for life. I do have the green caps on my Altima (Michelins from Costco) and laugh every time I add air from my garage compressor.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-07-13, 10:55 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Michelin Latitude Tour HP does come in a couple of spec's. Here is a link to tirerack.com that shows two of the ratings:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...ting=S&tab=All

The tires have different speed ratings and may have different low rolling resistance technology. I suspect if you got all of the spec's they even have different weights. I have never owned them, but every time I have looked them up there have been at least two versions (or even three, like on the tirerack list above).

Last edited by UCSB; 09-07-13 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 01:14 AM
nix78
Driver School Candidate

I had my OEM (Dunlop) replaced with this Michelin Latitude Tour HP (235/55R19) last week from costco. I found the price in canada was actually cheaper than price down south. I've bought 4 @ $249.99/each with $70 rebate. Couldn't be happier. Much softer and comfy ride compare to Dunlop and less squeal when turning in my underground parkade. I'm happy camper.
Old 09-08-13, 09:18 AM
AZJoe
Driver

I assume Costco provides a quality product and service, but I have never used them. I have been a customer of Discount Tire for many years now, ever since they helped my wife at no charge to fix a tire that was not their's on a late night.

My regular Lexus dealer, incorrectly rotated unidirectional tires on my wife's ES. Had a blow out the highway. The tires had a lot of miles and age, so couldn't prove having them rotate in wrong direction was a cause. Discount Tire replaced the blown tire at no cost. They have special ordered tires for me. Their stores are more closer to me than the dealer.

Quick Reply: Costco Michelin Latitude Tour HP