RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Timing cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 06:07 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Major oil leak at 9500 miles

Started noticing small drops of oil a few weeks ago under the RX. I checked the dipstick and oil level was well within range so I figured something just needed tightening. Went ahead and took it in for it's first oil change last Friday and told them about the leak. Turns out it's leaking from the timing chain cover and will rake 3 to 4 days to repair. Never had something this major on a 9 month old vehicle. Makes me glad I sprung for the extended warranty even if just for peace of mind.
Old 10-01-12, 07:57 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch, good luck, see if they tell you what caused it
Old 10-02-12, 07:05 AM
TomT127
Driver

Update:
Dealer called yesterday evening. Now they are saying the leak is not oil from the engine but grease from the axle boot getting on the engine and then dripping down. They are now going to replace the boot. Not to sure about this.
Old 08-26-13, 09:03 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover leak

I have a 13 RX350 with 10,000 miles with a side engine oil leak. I looked underneath and I think it's the timing chain cover seal. Took it to the dealer and they put dye in my oil to figure out where the leak is coming from. They suspect it to the timing chain cover as well. I am aware that 07 ES350s had a know oil leak coming from the timing chain cover but haven't heard anything about the RX having this issue. Has anyone else had this issue? I filed a complaint with Lexus corp because this is a brand new car and it should not be leaking. My service rep said they would have to remove the engine to fix the leak.
Old 08-26-13, 09:33 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Warranty repair

Filed a complaint? Um, that's what the warranty is for. Sure, there's a bit of frustration involved, but after all, your RX is a man made mechanical thing and there is no such thing as perfection, especially when it comes to automobiles. Let 'em fix it, drive the loaner like you stole it, and be glad the leak happened while still under warranty. Best of luck.
Old 08-27-13, 06:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly, why the complaint?

You have a problem, they are fixing it. Frustrating yes, complaint level to Corporate, hardly there yet.
The following users liked this post:
Mitho1991 (06-29-23)
Old 08-27-13, 07:12 AM
TomT127
Driver

I had a similar problem on our 2012 RX at 9500 miles. At first they thought the leak was from the timing chain cover but upon closer inspection it turned out to not be an oil leak but grease from the axle boot getting on the engine and then dripping down. They replaced the boot and no more leak.
Old 08-27-13, 09:36 AM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This give me a reason to open the hood.. haven't done so since purchase.
Old 08-27-13, 08:43 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

our 2010 had that same leak at 65k miles last year. We had the extended warranty and it was covered. This is one example of how an extended warranty helps.
Old 08-28-13, 06:49 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has a drip that is just behind where the oil pan drain is. It's a small few drips every couple days and more if it just sits undriven. But the car is 6 months old, had been doing this for a few months. Each time I've taken my car to the dealer they damage it, so I'm waiting till the new dealer opens in a month where they have more space for the cars. I have seen a lot of leaking issues posted on the RX. Not side why the quality is so bad on that aspect.

It's a lease and I wish it had ML and a HUD. So I'll likely wait and upgrade once the new body and engine are available for the RX.
Old 06-11-14, 08:00 AM
fupaladin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomT127
Update:
Dealer called yesterday evening. Now they are saying the leak is not oil from the engine but grease from the axle boot getting on the engine and then dripping down. They are now going to replace the boot. Not to sure about this.
Hi Tom. I know it's been a year and a half, but I was wondering what the final disposition of your oil leak was. I have have a 2012 RX450h with an oil leak, allegedly at the timing belt cover, and it's taking a week to repair. It's at the dealership now.

I guess I mainly concerned if this is precursor to continuing problems with this car.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 06-11-14, 08:55 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Started noticing small drops of oil a few weeks ago under the RX. I checked the dipstick and oil level was well within range so I figured something just needed tightening. Went ahead and took it in for it's first oil change last Friday and told them about the leak. Turns out it's leaking from the timing chain cover and will rake 3 to 4 days to repair. Never had something this major on a 9 month old vehicle. Makes me glad I sprung for the extended warranty even if just for peace of mind.
Nothing to worry on a 9-month vehicle as it is covered by the 3-year warranty. I hope they find and fix it.
Old 06-11-14, 09:32 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fupaladin
Hi Tom. I know it's been a year and a half, but I was wondering what the final disposition of your oil leak was. I have have a 2012 RX450h with an oil leak, allegedly at the timing belt cover, and it's taking a week to repair. It's at the dealership now.

I guess I mainly concerned if this is precursor to continuing problems with this car.

Thanks,

Scott
Likely not a precursor. Ask for a thorough explanation of the cause of the leak.
Old 06-11-14, 12:13 PM
felix168
Rookie

Update:
Grease from axle boot will not drip down like oil. There is a reason why they use grease instead of oil inside the axle boot.
Old 04-29-15, 02:52 PM
al7ezza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2014 RX350 with less than 4000 miles has oil leak too. The dealership said the leak is from the Timing Cover. It's been in the shop for near 3 weeks....

Quick Reply: Timing cover leak