RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Timing cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 03:17 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

On the 3rd generation Highlander there are complaints of this timing cover leak. The unfortunate thing is they have to pull the engine to fix it.
Old 10-31-15, 06:40 PM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue -- timing chain leak on new RX, ended up with new short block. Of course request a new vehicle, it was a defect at time of manufacture and the leak should have been picked up at the factory or during PDI.

Lexus and the dealership were both professional and accommodating, no complaints - but never a Toyota again for me.

What was your date and country of manufacture?
Old 11-03-15, 11:35 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Lexus warranty service is the reason I will continue to buy their cars. Once you convince them that the issue is theirs, they will go to just about any length to make you happy. It works. I agree that it would be disappointing to have an oil leak issue on a brand new car, but once they fix it you'll be able to move on to enjoying the car and forget about the leak. Some dealers are better than others, though. Make sure you're at the right place. It sounds like you are.

I tend to be a bit over the top in my expectations, but I'll give them the opportunity to fix a legitimate mistake. We're on our 5th Lexus, and I have yet to feel like I may have made a mistake. Of course, I've only had 1 issue with any of the cars, and our dealer responded VERY well.

Give them a chance. You won't be sorry, and you're gonna LOVE the RX! Especially if you do any road trips!

Last edited by User 41924; 11-03-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-15-16, 06:41 AM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak, oil leak engine removal

Hi everyone:
I just purchased a used 2015 RX350 7,500 miles from a BMW dealer a week ago.

Within a few days I noticed transmission fluid on my garage floor, took it to the Lexus Dealer and they found the upper transmission case seal leaking and also discovered oil leaking from the engine timing cover.
They got approval from the factory, and had to pull the motor replace the timing cover seal.

This caused quite a concern that the motor had to be removed to perform the work.

Here I had the car for just a few days and now the dealer is having to pull the motor out of vehicle with only 7,500 miles on it.
While all the work was done under warranty, I just was shocked that my first interaction was the motor was going to have to be pulled.
This is my first Lexus, previous Mercedes and Porsche cars and never had this kind of work done.

Is this normal dealer/factory warranty behavior?

They test drove it 20 miles and no leaks, I picked it up yesterday and everything seems fine and no leaks.
I'm still in that get acquainted mode with the car after only having it a few days before it went into the shop.

Thanks
T
Old 05-15-16, 10:09 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These sorts of things happen to the best of auto brands. Sounds like your Lexus dealer resolved the issue.

A quick similar story ....
A few weeks after we took delivery of our brand new 2006 RX400h, the engine died. It took the dealer several days to diagnose the problem, including "consulting" with engineers in Japan. They determined that the car got "bad gas" somewhere, even though we only fill at Top Tier gas stations. But they replaced all of the fuel injectors and cleaned the gas tank, all under warranty. This car now belongs to my daughter and just passed 160,000 miles with no issues.
Old 06-25-16, 08:51 AM
rfcbuf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 OIL Leak

Noticed small oil leak on floor but can't see any source of origin from quick exam under car. Dealer said some 2015 RX 350's have a gasket leak problem from valve cover. Plan to have it checked next week. I wonder if any other owners are having a similar problem???
Old 06-26-16, 05:09 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you just have an oil change?
No leaks in my 2012 with 24k miles
Old 06-26-16, 06:31 PM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rfcbuf
Noticed small oil leak on floor but can't see any source of origin from quick exam under car. Dealer said some 2015 RX 350's have a gasket leak problem from valve cover. Plan to have it checked next week. I wonder if any other owners are having a similar problem???
I had a transmission leak that also had an oil leak on my 2015.
See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-removal.html
T
Old 06-27-16, 03:23 PM
rfcbuf
Driver

Since posting oil leak problem on my RX350 problem was diagnosed by dealer. Timing chain cover is leaking and is currently being repaired. Dealer has had at least 50 RX350's with this problem. Have read other posts with same issue and wonder if my engine will require removal for the repair???
Old 06-27-16, 03:59 PM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Since posting oil leak problem on my RX350 problem was diagnosed by dealer. Timing chain cover is leaking and is currently being repaired. Dealer has had at least 50 RX350's with this problem. Have read other posts with same issue and wonder if my engine will require removal for the repair???
I took mine in for transmission fluid leaking, they found the oil leak once I took it in.
I never saw oil on my garage floor only transmission fluid.
So did the dealer proactively replace the timing chain cover seal? I don't know, but they informed me of the problem.

They had to pull my engine to repair it. It seemed rather dramatic to have to pull the motor, but that is what is required to repair it.
Mine has been leak free ever since and run's like the day I bought it.
They had it 3 days and the engine still looks like factory new.

On the plus side you get all the fluids replaced as well..
T

Last edited by TeeDog; 06-27-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 05:05 PM
rfcbuf
Driver

What would be the reason to pull engine for Timing chain cover gasket leak? My dealer confirmed timing chain cover leak problem on 2015 RX 350 probably required pulling the engine by Lexus dealer. I noticed the work order listed 2 new head gaskets were used in the repair. The dealer had the car for one full day.
Old 07-01-16, 05:20 PM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

What would be the reason to pull engine for Timing chain cover gasket leak? My dealer confirmed timing chain cover leak problem on 2015 RX 350 probably required pulling the engine by Lexus dealer. I noticed the work order listed 2 new head gaskets were used in the repair. The dealer had the car for one full day.
I was informed it was necessary to have to pull the engine to either access the timing cover or the transmission leak.
I thought it was to gain access for the repairs. I found it kind of odd..
I have to look at the printout if they replaced head gaskets or not.
They spent one day getting the service manager to contact the factory to authorize the repairs.

I had a 2017 loaner and was out of town for several days during the work.

Something is fishy with this timing cover leak, I think they are trying to avoid a recall possibly. Speculating...
T
Old 10-13-16, 02:50 PM
DOCW3
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 RX 350 oil leak

I am a low mileage driver and just passed 5000 miles on 2015 RX350. When checking oil noticed it was down somewhat leading to finding oil leak on right side. Dealer advised it was leaking timing chain cover.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (09-27-18)
Old 10-13-16, 03:05 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DOCW3
I am a low mileage driver and just passed 5000 miles on 2015 RX350. When checking oil noticed it was down somewhat leading to finding oil leak on right side. Dealer advised it was leaking timing chain cover.
Well, are they going to fix it for you?
Old 10-13-16, 06:04 PM
DOCW3
Driver School Candidate

Covered under Powertrain Warranty--72 mon/70,000 mi

Quick Reply: Timing cover leak