RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Card Key For the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 10:51 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I didnt get one of those with my purchase?
Old 01-29-15, 02:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's an option. I believe you may still be able to purchase one through your parts if you want one.
Originally Posted by lexus114
Old 01-29-15, 04:52 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
As Jim suggested, it's not standard with Gen3 RX here in the US. I didn't receive one with my 2013 RX450h, but did get one as standard with my old (Gen2) 2006 RX400h (that I almost never used, as it was more than 1/4 the thickness of my entire wallet before I added it in, so it was stored away and not used except when going to the beach). Everyone can all add your "cash poor" comments or something about too many credit cards here... Ah ha ha).
Old 01-30-15, 08:34 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

ok, thanks guys ^^
Old 01-31-15, 06:46 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It was included only in certain trim lines, iIRC. Mine is a Touring. I'm not sure if it only came with the Touring trim, or >=Touring.
Old 01-31-15, 08:29 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
NecroBump!
I just changed the battery in key card and it is working great. (2011 Touring RX350). It has excellent range and I can leave it in my wallet permanently. (By range, I mean that it activates the courtesy lighting as you approach.)
I had a horrible time attempting to find out which battery it actually took because I didn't have it with me in the store and Google was a colossal fail. So, let the record show that the 2011 LEXUS RX350 SMART KEY CARD takes a CR2412 battery.
Now, unfortunately, that is a more obscure battery so you might not find it in the selection of batteries at your nearest store and/or it may cost more.
Since I could not find out that it took a CR2412 battery, I ended up with a cheaper and more easily available (also 3-volt) CR2016 battery. It is a whopping 0.4mm thicker, but it still fits in the card and is working fine, so you can all mail me a crisp $5 bill for saving you so much cash.

One final piece of relevant info... I found another thread mentioning that there is no physical, metal key with the key card. This is not true (in my case). There is a tiny key that can be accessed from the back of the card. Look at about 5-o'clock from the logo and turn the card to the back. Push on the tiny metal tab/button and pick the key out. It only inserts one way, but it works in the driver's door just fine.

Lexus RX 350 third generation 2011 change battery smart key proximity card. credit card key changing battery 2412 CR2412 CR-2412.
CR2412 for less than $5.00 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Batteries-Unisex-CR2412/dp/B0014WTMW0
Old 02-01-15, 09:45 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Having a key card would be useful also if you have 2 cars with smart keys. I would carry the key card for one car in my wallet and the full remote for the car I drive daily. That way in case the wife has a problem with her key I could come rescue her the key card. Right now I leave the remote for her car at home.
Old 02-01-15, 12:25 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Card key; not as many features

Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe you use the card key to remote lock/unlock the car, raise/lower the windows & sun roof, or raise the back gate. If someone knows different, I'm sure they'll sound off here. I believe it's basically just to have in your wallet and avoid one more thing in your front pockets. Some have said it's thick enough that it takes up quite a bit of credit card space.
Old 02-01-15, 02:44 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe you use the card key to remote lock/unlock the car, raise/lower the windows & sun roof, or raise the back gate. If someone knows different, I'm sure they'll sound off here. I believe it's basically just to have in your wallet and avoid one more thing in your front pockets. Some have said it's thick enough that it takes up quite a bit of credit card space.
That's correct. There are two parts that both require "keying" to a specific vehicle if one is ordering the complete unit as an accessory here in the US, but likely come together in Canada with a new RX (since they did on my old RX400h here in the US):
  1. The Smart Access Card which IIRC is about the size of 3-5 credit cards on top of one another. It has "the chip" necessary to start your car (just like in each FOB) when you physically place it next to the Start/Power button, or if the card's battery is operational, to both start your car when the card is within range inside the cockpit, and to unlock your front doors once you are next to the vehicle and put your hand on the door handle. It DOES NOT have any buttons for any other remote functions like we are used to with a standard FOB. It is thick enough to house a battery to power that chip for SmartAccess functions, and it has a hole in the end that accepts a "Key Card".
  2. The Key Card (which IMHO is a odd name for it) is the same thickness and looks like a longer version of the silver key we have on our FOBs, with an extension that allows the whole thing to be housed within a Smart Access Card. When this key is removed from it's housing, it can be inserted into the door handle to physically lock or unlock the RX should it's 12V battery be dead and/or the RX has been sitting long enough that it has shut down the SmartAccess door function -- just like we'd use the key part of our FOBs to do.

A picture of the Smart Access Card is HERE and of a Key Card HERE compliments of the Sewell Parts site.
The following users liked this post:
Richieee (10-14-21)
Old 02-02-15, 07:55 AM
qb14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sofspra

I now have a fully functional Card Key, just like the RX 2010. However, they have never been able to supply the little key that should come with the Card Key. My local Ontario dealer claims that the key cannot be cut.
Take a look at the key that's inside the key fob that came with the car. If the key is cut on both sides, then your Ontario dealer is correct. They cannot cut a two sided key that will fit inside of the Card key.

I bought my Card Key after buying my CT200h. For that car, I was able to get the physical key cut. When I replaced the CT with an RX450h, they were able to reprogram the card. But, because the RX required the key to be cut on both sides, they couldn't cut a new key. I still have the physical key from my CT in my card key just to fill the void in order to reduce the possibility of the card breaking.
Old 02-02-15, 06:59 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by txes
CR2412 for less than $5.00 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Batteries-Unisex-CR2412/dp/B0014WTMW0
Comes with the feedback you'd expect from someone selling batteries at less than half of what you could buy them for ANYWHERE else.
Old 02-03-15, 08:23 PM
sofspra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qb14
Take a look at the key that's inside the key fob that came with the car. If the key is cut on both sides, then your Ontario dealer is correct. They cannot cut a two sided key that will fit inside of the Card key.

I bought my Card Key after buying my CT200h. For that car, I was able to get the physical key cut. When I replaced the CT with an RX450h, they were able to reprogram the card. But, because the RX required the key to be cut on both sides, they couldn't cut a new key. I still have the physical key from my CT in my card key just to fill the void in order to reduce the possibility of the card breaking.
I think you have identified the problem with the RX 2015. My fob key is cut on both sides. Looks like my Lexus dealer has sold me a product (Card Key) that is not suited to the RX 2015. The Card Key works just fine except it does have the back up metal key. I now carry a spare battery with me. I paid close to $800 to my dealer and I guess I will ask for the refund on the metal key, about $75.

For those who do not know about or use a Card Key. It fits nicely in my wallet and never leaves my wallet.. As I place my hand on the handle, the car unlocks. The start button in then available. If I need access to the back door, I just press the oblong button above the license plate. I can lock the vehicle by a press on the round button above the license.

The vehicle will lock with a press on the dimple in the door handle. The vehicle will not lock if my wallet with the Card Key is left in the vehicle. I just have no reason to carry keys with me. My residence(s) have push button entry. Just love my Card Key even if it does not have a metal safety key. My dealer gave me a whole card of new batteries for it.
Old 02-09-15, 06:36 AM
qb14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sofspra
I think you have identified the problem with the RX 2015. My fob key is cut on both sides. Looks like my Lexus dealer has sold me a product (Card Key) that is not suited to the RX 2015. The Card Key works just fine except it does have the back up metal key. I now carry a spare battery with me. I paid close to $800 to my dealer and I guess I will ask for the refund on the metal key, about $75.
Oddly enough, this is not an "across the board" issue. According to the website of the place where I bought my card key "some (random) RX & GX models are equipped with the a different type of key cylinder subsequently causing this card key not to be cut to VIN as intended."

The card key and the physical key that goes into the card key are sold by Lexus as two separate products. So, while the card key that they did sell you is suited for the 2015 RX, the physical key is not suited for your specific vehicle.

If it's really important to you, I guess you could get someone to change your lock cylinders to ones that work with a single sided key. However, I would think that would be pretty expensive.

The car will give you a warning when the battery on your card key is getting low. Since the batteries for these keys can be a pain to find. So, when I learned that I would have to do without a backup key, I bought a few spare batteries and stuck them in my glove box. As soon at the car tells me that the battery is low, I will change the battery immediately, hopefully eliminating the need for the physical key.
Old 05-04-16, 06:26 AM
chaudary
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

I know it's an old thread but instead of starting a new thread I thought I will ask my question here about the smart card key.

I recently bought 2013 RX350 and it came with 2 key fobs and not the smart card, so I was thinking about getting the smart card key as well. The issue I am having is that I can't get information about the correct FCC id for the smart card, I was told by one of the local Lexus dealership HYQ14AEB won't work with NAP production cars. All the places I searched points to Sewell Lexus links which unfortunately is not available anymore, so can someone please tell me the correct FCC if from their key?
Old 05-05-16, 05:05 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chaudary
... so can someone please tell me the correct FCC if from their key?
I have a key card. Where would I look that up?

Quick Reply: Card Key For the RX?