RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Owner question - Nav update

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 04:43 PM
jrod82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner question - Nav update

Hi, Just started driving my '10 rx350. So far I love it. The navigation system has clearly never been updated. Although not a huge issue I would like to get it updated. I went into the dealer and was quoted a $300 price to update. I thought that was ridiculous. I was told it couldnt be done on my own. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know a way I can get around the dealer? Thanks.

Gerry
Old 08-12-13, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Gerry,

As a clublexus member, we are entitled to discounts through Sewell Lexus, a Lexus dealership located in Texas that supplies parts at a much lower price. When you register your account, be sure to check the box that says you are a clublexus member.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com

Alas, I just looked at it and the discount is only 2 dollars, but to buy the USB update stick it is $167.00

The dealership is right that it can only be done by them, but try calling them and ask them how much they charge if you bring your own update USB
Old 08-12-13, 05:15 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrod82
Hi, Just started driving my '10 rx350. So far I love it. The navigation system has clearly never been updated. Although not a huge issue I would like to get it updated. I went into the dealer and was quoted a $300 price to update. I thought that was ridiculous. I was told it couldnt be done on my own. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know a way I can get around the dealer? Thanks.

Gerry
Welcome to Club Lexus, jrod82.

Previous to the 2010 MY RX the navigation system was DVD based and you could go out and purchase the DVDs to upgrade the system yourself. However, for your 2010 it is a USB update process and was designed to lock you out. If you do not have the right tools for the job you cannot perform the update.

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php

While the update costs $169 it does not include the tech's time to perform the install. Thus, your $300 fee which includes a minimum 1 hour labor charge for something which does not take long at all. If there are other Lexus dealerships in your area you can check to see what they might charge but do not get your hopes up.
Old 08-12-13, 05:26 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, welcome to the forum and on your new-to-you RX.

If you've not done it, first check out this site: http://lexusnavigation.com/faq.php

Scan though the sections to ensure there are sufficient updates to the map database in the areas you travel to make the upgrade worth your while. Also, your timing is a bit off... from history, there should be a newer annual update occuring later this month or in the next few weeks. Assuming you want to update, I agree with others, you have to get the dealer involved and a tech to do the actual update ... I'd call other dealers and if there is a big enough price delta, se e if your preferred dealer will at least match.

Good luck. Enjoy your RX!

Last edited by BertL; 08-12-13 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added timing point
Old 08-12-13, 05:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Alas, I just looked at it and the discount is only 2 dollars, but to buy the USB update stick it is $167.00

The dealership is right that it can only be done by them, but try calling them and ask them how much they charge if you bring your own update USB
And, you have to pay shipping on that Sewell order.

The local shops here in FL all charge a one hour labor rate for the install.
Old 08-13-13, 07:35 AM
jrod82
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the help. I think Im going to get by with what I have. Too much $$. Great forum.
Old 08-13-13, 08:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

jrod82, I never updated the nav on my 330 and was fine. Last year I decided to do it on the 450h. Price with install was around $300. I used Lexus points to pay for most of it. That's one way to get around the cost.

Also, I updated the title of the thread. It'll make it easier for other members to see what it's about and offer their assistance.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-13-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-14-13, 08:43 AM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

I have a dealer with great Service Advisers. I told one that I wanted an update to the NAV and he asked me if it was sending me places that were not right as he winked at me. I said it sent me to a road that was closed. They updated it for free! I'm not sure if there is a TSB or not but I got the impression there might be. I do tip my SA's all the time when I go in for service, so they always give me a break. They even re-cut my rotors for free when they got out of round! A $10 or $20 tip goes a long way and has saved me lots of money. I know there are those on CL that think it's illegal for them to accept tips but not here in NY.
Old 08-14-13, 11:56 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me crazy, but this model that Lexus has constructed for NAV updates seems silly to me. Lexus may say, hey we need to charge $170 a pop to recoup our costs. And Lexus knows that the dealer is going to charge an installation charge. To the customer, the only thing that matters is the bottom line, and a $300 total cost to get a map update is undoubtedly a big deterrence to doing said update.

So I would venture to say, most people sit on the sidelines. At a lower bottom line price, I'm sure many would update more often. This construct certainly isn't good for the customer, and I can't imagine it works all that well for Lexus.

I wasn't on top of this when I recently bought my 2010 CPO, and of course, my predecessor never updated. So I am considering doing the next update to cover me for awhile, but $300 will be hard to stomach.
Old 08-14-13, 01:02 PM
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

I know it's a thumb-drive that has the update on it but do they use their Tech Stream software to load the update into the navi system or is it a different program?

Dave
Old 08-14-13, 01:32 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dlchandler
I know it's a thumb-drive that has the update on it but do they use their Tech Stream software to load the update into the navi system or is it a different program?

Dave
The thumb drive itself does not contain the updated data. It's only like a 16mb drive (or something small like that). The thumb drive contains the software key that allows the Tech stream to download to the HDD in the car. I'm 99% sure that it can't be downloaded from the Tech stream without a valid "key".
Old 08-14-13, 07:55 PM
svidas
Rookie

I called various dealers and asked my preferred dealer to match the price, which was $225.00.
Old 08-15-13, 10:52 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice would be to completely give up on Lexus navigation. It is not worth the aggravation and expense.

Besides, it will still be a pretty bad navigation system even after the update.

There are so many better options out there now, that it is easy to kiss Lexus navigation good bye.

Just use your smartphone, or mount a tablet on your dashboard. Of course, it's not without its drawbacks, but sooooo much better than dealing with Lexus.

Currently I use my iPhone5 on a cup holder mount. I get full integration with car sound system and steering wheel controls.

Once the new iPad minis with high-resolution display come out, I'll install one as the permanent infotainment system on my Lexus. That will be a system light years ahead of anything Lexus can offer.