RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying 2013 RX450H this week

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 06:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

A quick note on the 2014...

Since the 2013 just got the mid-cycle refresh for this current third Gen RX, don't expect any design or enhancements for the 2014 (or 2015 for that matter). At most new color or option packaging changes. Expect a new fourth gen as a 2016 model year.
Old 08-05-13, 06:15 PM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwlink
This depends on your company. First, who will actually own the car - you or Nerium? Second, is this for business use only or personal use also?

If Nerium owns it and you lease it with intent to buy (assuming Nerium would be buying) at the end of the lease, then the lease is considered a capitalized lease instead of a operating lease and deductions and depreciation are treated differently. Too many variables here to give you an accurate answer.

If you own it and use it for both personal and business use there are restriction on the types of deductions you can claim on your W-2. In this particular case, you may be able to claim regular operating expenses such as fuel and maintenance, but cannot "double dip" using the standard mileage rate of 56.5 cents/mile.

I don't know what Nerium is or how big of a company it is, but it is generally more beneficial if the company owns the car if it is a large corporation that is subject to a higher marginal tax rate.

Nope, only for hybrid electrics - thanks obama

Thanks! I am doing the lease on my credit and I will own it, Nerium just makes the payments as long as I have my business with them. So it sounds as though I can claim mileage with a purchase as well (vs. leasing)? If so there really isn't a tax advantage then.

I think I may drive it more than 15K miles a year, maybe more like 18K, can you negotiate more miles into the lease term?
Old 08-05-13, 06:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nerium
I think I may drive it more than 15K miles a year, maybe more like 18K, can you negotiate more miles into the lease term?
Everything is negotiable. First, you negotiate the price of the vehicle. Then, you negotiate financing as needed. A lease need not be calculated on the retail price. If you think you need more miles in your lease you can negotiate that as well.
Old 08-05-13, 06:57 PM
dwlink
Driver

Are there any restrictions on how long the company will pay you $750 a month for?

Interest and taxes aside, if you can setup a 6 year financing deal, then you'll be reimbursed $54000 over that period. You'd essentially just be paying tax, interest, and paperwork on the vehicle.

And if you can claim fuel as a deductible expense then you might be better off with a 350. Assuming 18k miles per year and an average cost of $5/gallon over the next 6 years, then if you average 20 mpg (which is about what we get in our 350), the fuel cost is $27k. We had a 450h as a loaner for a week or so a while back and it only averaged around 25 mpg (much lower than the sticker) with a mix of highway and city driving. With 25 mpgs, the fuel cost with the same mileage over the same period would be $21.6k. That's only a savings of $5400 which may not justify the price premium. The performance isn't all that different, but you will be keep the environment marginally cleaner. Then again you do have another little 30 hp motor in your car which is subject to being another maintenance item.

Last edited by dwlink; 08-05-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 09:00 PM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

Default Change in options

I don't know that the model they have here in Boise will work, if anyone knows where I can find one that is white with all the options in the attached pdf please let me know. I am pre-qualified and would like to find and buy it this week. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
summary.pdf (219.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 08-12-13, 03:07 PM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

I don't know that the model they have here in Boise will work, if anyone knows where I can find one that is white with all the options in the attached pdf please let me know. I am pre-qualified and would like to find and buy it this week. Thanks!

Wow, thought there would be a sales person all over this, buying a Lexus seems to be a bit challenging.
Old 08-12-13, 09:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Wow, thought there would be a sales person all over this, buying a Lexus seems to be a bit challenging.
They really do not frequent here and if they do they usually get kicked out for TOS violations.

If you go to the Lexus web site you can build the vehicle you want and it will check inventory to see what can be found in your area. Give it a try.

http://www.lexus.com/configurator/#/...up=RX%20Hybrid
Old 08-12-13, 10:24 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truly, if a dealer is bullish about sales on the front end, you might have a similar experience with their service on the backend. The RX is a very nice vehicle. But just cast your net out wider first and see if you can find that vehicle elsewhere. Like you, my local dealer wanted to increase the price on the car over what I wanted, and so I looked elsewhere. After letting the car sit on their lot a couple weeks, I asked them if they wanted to make a sale and get this car off their lot as its what I wanted, or I could be patient and go out of state.

Just don't lock yourself into one dealer or they will capitalize on that. And I'm assuming they want to clear '13 year models out.
Old 08-13-13, 07:51 AM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Truly, if a dealer is bullish about sales on the front end, you might have a similar experience with their service on the backend. The RX is a very nice vehicle. But just cast your net out wider first and see if you can find that vehicle elsewhere. Like you, my local dealer wanted to increase the price on the car over what I wanted, and so I looked elsewhere. After letting the car sit on their lot a couple weeks, I asked them if they wanted to make a sale and get this car off their lot as its what I wanted, or I could be patient and go out of state.

Just don't lock yourself into one dealer or they will capitalize on that. And I'm assuming they want to clear '13 year models out.

Thanks a bunch, I will try to figure out where to look. I am pre-approved and ready to buy.
Old 08-13-13, 04:56 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Sure, let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-19-13, 12:35 PM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

Default Final pricing

Sure, let us know how it turns out!
Just an update, here is the deal, likely sign tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

List price was $57,100 (see attached), then we added the following..

1. $198 -Weather Tech mats for front & back
2. $119 -Weather Tech cargo area mat
3. $950 -Ceiling mount integrated Advent 10.1" DVD player with 2 headphones
4. $749 -Remote Start Plus
5. $271 -Roof Rack & Cross Bars
6. $128 -Door Edge Guards
7. $953 -Lexus Hitch & Wiring

$57,100 -MSRP/Sticker Price
$3,368 -Accessory Adds
$60,468 –Adjusted MSRP/Sticker price

$895 dock fee

39 Month Lease / 15K miles per year
$4,500 cash down ($1,500 of that is paid by Lexus)
Payment is $776 per month, 1st month payment is paid

(I believe the residual value is fixed based on a schedule they have, I don’t have that number at this point. )
Attached Thumbnails Buying 2013 RX450H this week-photo-2.jpg   Buying 2013 RX450H this week-photo-3.jpg   Buying 2013 RX450H this week-img_8262.jpg  
Old 08-19-13, 06:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

nerium, you say nothing about the leased amount, residual at the end of the lease, nor the lease rate. Am not convinced this is a good deal at all.
Old 08-21-13, 07:41 AM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
nerium, you say nothing about the leased amount, residual at the end of the lease, nor the lease rate. Am not convinced this is a good deal at all.
Sorry, I have been out of town, here you go. They said it was a cost deal but I am sure they made plenty of money.
Attached Thumbnails Buying 2013 RX450H this week-lease.jpg   Buying 2013 RX450H this week-lease2.jpg  
Old 08-21-13, 07:56 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Maybe it's just me, but when I leased my GS, which was a 60k car, I did 0 down, they did first month's payment, and I got it down to $650 / mo. That number seems really high, unless their residuals just really suck and they are bending you over on the interest rate/money factor. But that could also be based on your credit. But the interest rate is where they love to catch you after the initial look how low the price of the car is trick.

I'd try and get them to lower that more.
Old 08-21-13, 08:16 AM
nerium
Driver School Candidate

Maybe it's just me, but when I leased my GS, which was a 60k car, I did 0 down, they did first month's payment, and I got it down to $650 / mo. That number seems really high, unless their residuals just really suck and they are bending you over on the interest rate/money factor. But that could also be based on your credit. But the interest rate is where they love to catch you after the initial look how low the price of the car is trick.

I'd try and get them to lower that more.

Thanks. My credit is perfect, the interest rate was 1.5% and I put $1500 down. From what I understood the residual value was on a fixed schedule and wasn't negotiable.

Quick Reply: Buying 2013 RX450H this week