RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear hatch inside panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 05:03 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear hatch inside panel

Anyone ever have it off ?
Ours has "something" just above the camera that tends to rust & then drip onto the white paint.
Might take a look & see what's up on the inside.
My guess is a piece of unplated door mechanism.
Old 08-04-13, 11:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

SteveCraig, I'm not sure how to remove the rear tailgate panel nor do I recall anybody who has. I took off one of the small panels behind the reverse lights and peeked inside. It's not obvious how the whole panel is held on. It pulls away easily in spots. You might need to remove the plastic panels on the underside of the tailgate and the light. I also think the plastic trim below the inside rear window has to come out because the panel goes underneath. It's pretty secure there. I'd take it to a body shop or ask the dealer how to do it under the pretense of changing out the license plate light. That's one way I've figured out how to do things I hope it turns out to be something simple like a rusty screw. Good luck.
Old 08-04-13, 07:08 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Anita,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I expect a rusty screw head or some other small piece near the camera. Sounds like an afternoon job, in the garage, on a rainy day. I'll get an exploded view on line or from the dealer.
Had to change the screws on the bottom side of the roof rack rails as soon as I bought the car. Factory plating didn't last long & started dripping rust onto the roof, painted white. Changed them out for stainless.

Cheers,
Old 08-06-13, 05:20 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Had a look on Sewell's site. Doesn't look too complicated. No different than pulling a door panel on this or any other car. I'll order a replacement quantity of plastic retainers as a few usually break. Peel the plastic liner & should be able to get at the latch mechanism quite easily.
Old 08-06-13, 06:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Good luck, SteveCraig. The retainers are easy and cheap enough to replace. Just take your time, and some pictures too
Old 09-09-13, 12:00 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Just picked up the retainers in Calais Maine on Saturday. We go for a drive there about once every couple months.
Jane's car was scheduled for service today at the local dealer, 48K km, about 30K miles.
Quite a surprise when I went in to settle up with the dealer.

48K service & rebalance tires: $ XXX, no problem.

Rain sensor leaking fluid: Lexus warranty will install a new one !

Rust stain on rear hatch, coming from a mechanism inside, at the latch I believe.
Lexus warranty is installing a completely new rear hatch, sheet metal, mechanisms, glass, trim etc.. I was shocked to say the least. Figured they would pop the inner panel & source the rusty bolt head & replace.
Old 09-09-13, 12:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hopefully everything will match up color-wise when all is said and done, SteveCraig. Glad to see your dealer sticking up for you. Good luck.
Old 09-12-13, 07:28 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

I may in fact ask them to change only the mechanisms. The OEM paint will be much more durable I believe.
Old 10-13-13, 09:00 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Had the RX in this past week for the door change. Understand now just what the warranty did for me.
The door sheet metal component, as a unit, was replaced, prepped & painted.
All other components were transferred from the old door to the new.
Turns out Lexus has had more than one complaint about rust stains up under the rear latch.
The finish is failing right at the edge of the sheet metal, hidden from view when all is assembled.
Most noticeable on a white car, Starfire I believe is the name.
Car has to go back to paint next time we get it in for service. Called the dealer the day after it was returned to us.
A black bug landed on the white paint while still wet.............................!

My wife had a new ES350 as a loaner for 4 days. Beautiful car, she prefers it over the RX as it's lower & longer, offering a smoother ride.
Old 02-08-14, 06:41 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Rusting again.
Turns out the hardware securing the latch mechanism & the rear handle are exposed to water/condensation at times. The gasket enclosing these components has gone thru a revision & the hardware changed to stainless.
The dealer will perform the mods next week. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Cheers,
Old 02-08-14, 09:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Rusting again.
Turns out the hardware securing the latch mechanism & the rear handle are exposed to water/condensation at times. The gasket enclosing these components has gone thru a revision & the hardware changed to stainless.
The dealer will perform the mods next week. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Cheers,
Hmm, I wonder if a god shot of Rust Check would cure the problem...
Old 02-10-14, 05:01 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Good luck, SteveCraig. The retainers are easy and cheap enough to replace. Just take your time, and some pictures too
Patience is the name of the game!
Old 02-17-14, 06:35 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Just back from a vacation in Mexico. Local dealer picked up the car & returned it while we were away. Will post on any further developments. New style rubber gasket & stainless hardware kit installed.

WOW...........culture shock last night!!

Spent the last 8 days in Playa del Carmen @ 35 deg. C, & a "no worries, be happy" attitude.
Landed here last night, just barely, & straight out to the driveway to battle 40cm of snow & 4' drifts in -15 C for a couple hours. Back to reality !