RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

SMS message quick reply

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 07:20 AM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've used a Galaxy S3 and am now using a Galaxy S4 and have the issue of the text not displaying, eventhough the system reads it to me. The issue occurs 50% of the time. I am on Tmobile and I am confident that this specific issue is a Lexus issue and has nothing to do with your phone or provider. However I am always able to reply to text messages via the Reply button.
Old 08-08-13, 11:57 AM
desmo907
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you Reply are you only able to select from the 'quick' replies or can you speak a reply and it convert it to text?

The manual only mentions the quick reply feature not any voice-to-text processing.

The Reply button is missing on my screen (the manual shows it b/w the green phone icon and Play button and that space is empty on my screen).

I await a call back from Lexus Tech abotu it.... I suspect a bug....

Originally Posted by Bayman
I've used a Galaxy S3 and am now using a Galaxy S4 and have the issue of the text not displaying, eventhough the system reads it to me. The issue occurs 50% of the time. I am on Tmobile and I am confident that this specific issue is a Lexus issue and has nothing to do with your phone or provider. However I am always able to reply to text messages via the Reply button.
Old 08-08-13, 12:12 PM
Bayman
Rookie

I can only reply by choosing one of the available options. I believe (though I haven't tried), I can create custom replies and store them to the car's memory. I cannot reply by speaking to it. It is always frustrating when I can't understand the computer's pronunciation of some words only to look at the screen and realize that I can't view the text either. Please share Lexus' response on this. I suspect it is always easier for them to blame the phone manufacturer or carrier.
Old 08-08-13, 12:51 PM
desmo907
Driver

Thanks. A prrior reply from someone else here implied voice-text. I figured maybe since it can recognize my voice when i make a call (e.g., Call XYZ).

Today all my new and archived messages were missing the actual text on the screen yet it read them fine. Later in the car they were all being displayed fine and read fine.

Maybe it is an Android thing..... but i asked Lexus about that random error as well.
Old 08-08-13, 07:01 PM
Bayman
Rookie

My wife has an iPhone 5 and I will run some tests and report back.
Old 08-09-13, 06:25 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

My wife has an iPhone 5 and I will run some tests and report back.
iPhones are incapable of using the reply function. Apple doesn't support it.
Old 08-09-13, 06:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Galaxy S3 here with Verizon and no problems seeing and hearing the texts.Also can reply using one of the choices on the list.
Haven't tried saying the reply.I don't know if that works..
Old 08-09-13, 07:04 AM
Bayman
Rookie

I understand that the iphone doesn't support the reply function. The issue at hand is the ability to view the text of the message, which doesn't show up about half the time on Android phones.
Old 08-09-13, 08:01 AM
offroad200
Instructor

I understand that the iphone doesn't support the reply function. The issue at hand is the ability to view the text of the message, which doesn't show up about half the time on Android phones.
I got ya. I misunderstood your post.
Old 08-09-13, 08:23 AM
desmo907
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Galaxy S3 here with Verizon and no problems seeing and hearing the texts.Also can reply using one of the choices on the list.
Haven't tried saying the reply.I don't know if that works..
Does the Reply button show up between the green phone icon (on left) and Play button toward right?
Mine shows a gap for a button.

Also when you click Reply, do you just see the list of all the quick replies and you can juse select one?

Thx
Old 08-09-13, 08:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by desmo907
Does the Reply button show up between the green phone icon (on left) and Play button toward right?
Mine shows a gap for a button.

Also when you click Reply, do you just see the list of all the quick replies and you can juse select one?

Thx
I don't remember.
My GS is a pleasure vehicle that I use on weekend in nice weather.
I haven't used the text feature a lot but it does seem to work well the times I did receive a text.
I will say I do see the list of quick replies and can select one to send and have.
Old 08-09-13, 09:04 AM
Bayman
Rookie

Originally Posted by offroad200
I got ya. I misunderstood your post.
No worries. Do you experience the same issue? Thanks.
Old 08-09-13, 01:40 PM
offroad200
Instructor

No worries. Do you experience the same issue? Thanks.
I just work at a Lexus dealership.
Old 08-10-13, 03:01 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by desmo907
When you Reply are you only able to select from the 'quick' replies or can you speak a reply and it convert it to text?

The manual only mentions the quick reply feature not any voice-to-text processing.

The Reply button is missing on my screen (the manual shows it b/w the green phone icon and Play button and that space is empty on my screen).

I await a call back from Lexus Tech abotu it.... I suspect a bug....
Note that I have a 2010 which has a different interface than yours. I do not select anything manually (I never took notice but there may be a selection button on the screen) but a voice comes on the nav and gives me the options. When I reply I just speak my response and the system reads it back to check for correctness.

the 2010 does not have apps/gadgets in the nav interface.
Old 08-14-13, 07:04 PM
desmo907
Driver

Lexus tech says I need an update to the nav system to fix the issue of not seeing the Reply button. They said the new firmware update will come out in later September or so and they will let the dealer know not to charge me and to update it (I guess via flash drive).

No word yet on what the text is not displayed randomly however. He will check into that.

BTW - Lexus tells me that the Reply button will only show up when you select "Read" from an incoming message (pop up) window. It will not be available when you select a message from the list (e.g., archived list).

Last edited by desmo907; 08-15-13 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: SMS message quick reply