RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Common Issues To Look for on 2010 RX350

Old 07-21-13, 10:50 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Issues To Look for on 2010 RX350

Hello Fellow LEXers,

I'm thinking about buying a CPO 2010 RX 350 in the next month or so. (I'm still undecided about FWD vs AWD. I live in sunny California so I'd only need AWD during the winter in the rare occasion I head up to Tahoe when it's snowing). But I actually wanted get the opinions from my fellow club members on any common 2010 issues I should look out for when purchasing my next RX350.

Doing my research and a couple of searches, here's what I've gathered thus far as"common" issues:

1) Knock Issues @ cold start-up: Some members have it, others don't, but seems to be more of an annoyance than actual mechanical issue with long-term repercussions.

2) Loose Bumper - Sounds like some of the vehicles may have a loose bumper in the front, however I understand there is a TSIB out there for the fix..

3) Are there any other issues (mechanical or not) that would be good to be aware of while I shop for my next ride?

On a side note, we own an RX300 in the family and it's a solid car. This is why I want another. Our current RX300 has about 120k miles and is still going strong outside of the Idle Air Control Valve issue (I've already addressed that with the Step by Step fix I developed/authored in the other Lexus forum - it got 180K views!!)

Would appreciate feedback//advice from other RX owners!

Thanks!!
Old 07-22-13, 07:01 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Does this mean the 2010s are flawless? :P
Old 07-22-13, 08:38 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSprt
Hello Fellow LEXers,

I'm thinking about buying a CPO 2010 RX 350 in the next month or so. (I'm still undecided about FWD vs AWD. I live in sunny California so I'd only need AWD during the winter in the rare occasion I head up to Tahoe when it's snowing). But I actually wanted get the opinions from my fellow club members on any common 2010 issues I should look out for when purchasing my next RX350.

Doing my research and a couple of searches, here's what I've gathered thus far as"common" issues:

1) Knock Issues @ cold start-up: Some members have it, others don't, but seems to be more of an annoyance than actual mechanical issue with long-term repercussions.

2) Loose Bumper - Sounds like some of the vehicles may have a loose bumper in the front, however I understand there is a TSIB out there for the fix..

3) Are there any other issues (mechanical or not) that would be good to be aware of while I shop for my next ride?

On a side note, we own an RX300 in the family and it's a solid car. This is why I want another. Our current RX300 has about 120k miles and is still going strong outside of the Idle Air Control Valve issue (I've already addressed that with the Step by Step fix I developed/authored in the other Lexus forum - it got 180K views!!)

Would appreciate feedback//advice from other RX owners!

Thanks!!
Hi silversprt, Im one week old new owner myself 2010 RX350 CPO, I did read sticky FAQ's and a few answers from this thread below, i dont have any problems you mentioned. I've just opened the hood today and found 3 of the spark plugs might not be as easy diy thing, oh well, at least im having fun changing all this ugly yellowish interior/drl etc bulbs to LED. good luck.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-the-wife.html

Last edited by vince22; 07-22-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-22-13, 08:46 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wind noise. Early versions suffered from wind noise issues. They switched to laminated glass to help minimize it. Look for "Laminated" and "Solargreen" on the front driver and passenger window to see if it has the upgraded glass.

Tires - Look for Michelins or if the tread is low, negoiate to have them put them on before completing the sale. This is for 19" wheels as the other tires tend to be more noisy and wear out quicker.

AWD... it's not just for snow. I used to think that too. Our 2005 Sienna changed my mind. AWD works well in wet conditions rather than relying on jerky traction control systems.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-22-13, 09:24 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The most important issue to look at is the tires. This car is not worth owning on mediocre tires. There are several tire threads on this forum. But, to summarize. Of the OEM tires that come with the car they rank in this order; 1) Michelin is the best; 2) Bridgestone; 3) Dunlops. I wouldn't buy the car with the Dunlops. See the tire threads to get specific model info for the three brands. If tires have been replaced, research the tires in depth. This car needs top quality, tires and you should plan on spending $1,000 + on a replacement set of tires in the future.

NAV level. You might be able to get dealer to upgrade NAV to current level. This upgrade might cost you $250+ if you go do it yourself later. It won't make much difference, so don't worry if they refuse.

Rattles/Noises ... absolutely test the car over challenging surfaces to see if there are any rattles and noises in the car. They can be extremely difficult to isolate and fix and are the most common complaint with the car. Be warned, read a few of the rattle threads. If you are unlucky enough to get this problem you might be living with it for months or years. This advice is good for new or used Lexus autos. Lexus often stages their cars in such a way that acceptance test drives don't happen and this means you can notice the problem after you have taken delivery.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-22-13 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 12:29 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

ECR/UCSB -
Appreciate the feedback from you guys. Good points on the window as Lexus is known for having a quiet, comfort ride so I wouldn't want my vehicle to be any different.

I didn't realize the Rattle noises were such a major issue, and I see your point in how this could become a very annoying issue over time. I'll definitely keep this in mind when test driving the vehicle.