RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tow Prep Package Presence 2010-2012 (13 Maybe?)

Old 07-18-13, 06:49 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tow Prep Package Presence 2010-2012 (13 Maybe?)

Hi All,

I bought my 2010 RX CPO about a year ago. Is their away to tell if you have the tow prep package? I did search and found a reference for the previous model where their would be a extra air intake at the bottom of the bumper. Is their something similar in the 2010 model if it has the tow prep package? I called my dealer and they say it has it, but I would like to get some sort of physical confirmation. As I might need to tow my furniture 8 months from now, and would like to get a tow hitch instead of paying movers this time around.

Also anyone rent a uhual? Do you think my RX can tow a bed, small desk, dresser, and TV, some misc. stuff f300 miles on highway. I am graduating from grad school and will probably be relocating. Also what about trailor sway. Is the RX prone to this I saw a 60 min on this some years ago.

Thanks,

PS . I have never towed a trailer before either.
Old 07-18-13, 11:19 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 2010 450h CPO the dealer ran me a copy of the window sticker which listed everything standard and add ons and the prices of each when the car was sold. They also ran a copy of all the maintenance that was preformed by Lexus. If you are near your dealer they should be able to do the same for you if you have the VIN. The RX has a 3500# tow rating if you have the tow prep package.

Dawg
Old 07-19-13, 07:22 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The VIN will tell you what the car has been prepped for. Transmissions are the most common failure when towing due to excessive heat build up.
Trailer package will likely include an external trans. cooler or a larger cooler vs. the non-prepped car. Could also see items like a heavy duty alternator, possibly brake pads/rotors.

The sway issue is usually related to the trailer & how it's loaded. Keep 10-15% tongue weight on the ball. Further back your load is balanced the quicker you'll see it swaying in the rear view.

I've pulled trailers all my life behind my 1/2 ton. Every set-up is different but practice makes perfect.
Old 07-19-13, 03:52 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

Per my printout

"Tow prep package: Transmission cooler, Heavy alternator & radiator (ball mount not included) $500".

Dawg
Old 07-19-13, 04:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Either way, with or without towing package, depending on how much stuff you have you might consider renting a U-Haul truck and have someone drive or even tow your RX behind the truck.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/

Check on the pricing to have a hitch installed with wiring and compare to just renting the truck for comparison. If this is going to be just a one time need you may come out ahead by renting.

You might also find a deal to just rent a regular van and get unlimited miles if you are staying in state. Check around.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 07-19-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-19-13, 05:12 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Either way, with or without towing package, depending on how much stuff you have you might consider renting a U-Haul truck and have someone drive or even tow your RX behind the truck.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/

Check on the pricing to have a hitch installed with wiring and compare to just renting the truck for comparison. If this is going to be just a one time need you may come out ahead by renting.

You might also find a deal to just rent a regular van and get unlimited miles if you are staying in state. Check around.
Thanks, I am seriously considering that also myself.
Old 07-22-13, 12:22 PM
PirateDan
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a Curt hitch on my 2010 RX350. There is a wiring harness already in the rear of the vehicle to connect to. I just need it for getting my small boat back and forth from the lake. If you are only going to haul light loads and not that often you don't really need the tow package.
Old 07-22-13, 04:18 PM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Look in front of your driver's side wheel well. There are some openings you can look through with a flashlight. If you see a small radiator in there, my understaning is that is the transmission cooler which indicates you have the tow prep package. If there's nothing there you don't have it.

Interestingly my car has the transmission cooler but it is not listed on the window sticker.

Last edited by robartin; 07-22-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 10:28 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
The VIN will tell you what the car has been prepped for. Transmissions are the most common failure when towing due to excessive heat build up.
Trailer package will likely include an external trans. cooler or a larger cooler vs. the non-prepped car. Could also see items like a heavy duty alternator, possibly brake pads/rotors.

The sway issue is usually related to the trailer & how it's loaded. Keep 10-15% tongue weight on the ball. Further back your load is balanced the quicker you'll see it swaying in the rear view.

I've pulled trailers all my life behind my 1/2 ton. Every set-up is different but practice makes perfect.
Where can you go to check your VIN to confirm you have the towing prep package?

Thanks!
Eric
Old 06-03-14, 11:30 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Where can you go to check your VIN to confirm you have the towing prep package?

Thanks!
Eric
Don't need the VIN if you only want to check two package, look on the inside of the drivers wheel well. If you have vents, it's there to get air to the tranny cooler as part of the prep package.

5 seconds of effort
Old 06-03-14, 12:14 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Don't need the VIN if you only want to check two package, look on the inside of the drivers wheel well. If you have vents, it's there to get air to the tranny cooler as part of the prep package.

5 seconds of effort
I do see the vents however previous posts weren't clear if you need the vents and a visible tranny cooler.

Are you stating that the presence of vents is equivalent to having the tow prep package?

Thanks!
Eric
Old 06-03-14, 12:38 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I do see the vents however previous posts weren't clear if you need the vents and a visible tranny cooler.

Are you stating that the presence of vents is equivalent to having the tow prep package?

Thanks!
Eric
From everything I've read, yes. The vents purpose is there to provide air to the cooler. No vents, no cooler and no prep package..
Old 06-03-14, 01:11 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
From everything I've read, yes. The vents purpose is there to provide air to the cooler. No vents, no cooler and no prep package..
Thanks, that helps a lot. I have the tow prep package!
Old 06-03-14, 01:58 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pictures guys, that would help alot. pictures of drivers side wheel well one without and one with radiator or talked about fins.
Old 06-03-14, 05:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

One thing I noticed on my 450h with the tow package is the vent on the black trim below the fog light is open on the driver side vs closed on the passenger side. I assume it's for air flow to the trans cooler. Maybe someone without the tow package can check that. Unfortunately the only pictures I have of the driver side wheel well are with the liner pushed out of the way when I was changing out the fog light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow Prep Package Presence 2010-2012 (13 Maybe?)