RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

About to buy 2010 RX 350, CPO/extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 06:46 PM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to buy 2010 RX 350, CPO/extended warranty question

Dear CL community,

We're looking to purchase a 2010 RX 350 and have a few questions regarding warranty options. I've done my best to become knowledgeable with all things related; the bulk of info coming from this fantastic forum and community. My search criteria: 2010-11 RX 350 FWD, under 30k miles, with navigation. It appears that a majority of RX vehicles are already certified CPO by the dealer, adding to the price... I imagine this is so they can charge more.

With CPO, I get 3 yrs/100k miles. Which means I'm covered until July 2016. With extended warranty, the coverage depends on the original date of service. Our top candidate vehicle's initial date of service was June 2010, which means if I get a 7 yrs or 8 yrs extended warranty, I can be covered until June 2017 or 2018. I know we will keep the car beyond 3 years.

I understand that extended warranty can only be purchased during the original 4 yrs/50k. I don't like the idea of having to pay for CPO warranty AND extended warranty. Can a car be un-certified to reduce price? Can the CPO warranty be extended beyond 3 yrs? What are my options?

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-18-13, 06:59 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry82
Dear CL community,

We're looking to purchase a 2010 RX 350 and have a few questions regarding warranty options. I've done my best to become knowledgeable with all things related; the bulk of info coming from this fantastic forum and community. My search criteria: 2010-11 RX 350 FWD, under 30k miles, with navigation. It appears that a majority of RX vehicles are already certified CPO by the dealer, adding to the price... I imagine this is so they can charge more.

With CPO, I get 3 yrs/100k miles. Which means I'm covered until July 2016. With extended warranty, the coverage depends on the original date of service. Our top candidate vehicle's initial date of service was June 2010, which means if I get a 7 yrs or 8 yrs extended warranty, I can be covered until June 2017 or 2018. I know we will keep the car beyond 3 years.

I understand that extended warranty can only be purchased during the original 4 yrs/50k. I don't like the idea of having to pay for CPO warranty AND extended warranty. Can a car be un-certified to reduce price? Can the CPO warranty be extended beyond 3 yrs? What are my options?

Thank you in advance!
I don't think a car can be DE-CPOed. I read somewhere that it actually costs the dealers to actually get the car CPOed and not just for reconditioning, so I doubt they will DE-cpo it. I know Lexus dealers sell models that are able to be CPO, but aren't CPOed have you checked those? Also when I bought my CPO car I was given the option to extend the CPO warranty. My car was still under factory warranty when purchased with CPO. I extended the CPO warranty. Hopefully this helps a little.
Old 07-18-13, 07:15 PM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by satnav
I don't think a car can be DE-CPOed. I read somewhere that it actually costs the dealers to actually get the car CPOed and not just for reconditioning, so I doubt they will DE-cpo it. I know Lexus dealers sell models that are able to be CPO, but aren't CPOed have you checked those? Also when I bought my CPO car I was given the option to extend the CPO warranty. My car was still under factory warranty when purchased with CPO. I extended the CPO warranty. Hopefully this helps a little.
Your input is a huge help... Up until now, I thought CPO warranty only came 3 yrs... period. I think you're right that you can't "DE-CPO" a car. The dealer told me that they pay Lexus $995 to certify a car once it has been inspected and reconditioned... and that they usually leave just 1 or 2 cars un-CPOed for the buyers that don't care for it.

Can you share the cost of extending your CPO warranty?
Old 07-18-13, 10:05 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dear CL community,

Thank you in advance!
hi henry,
i just bought mine last week 2010 RX350 CP0 for 34.5k OTD, my original plan was to get basic 2010-2011 less than 30k miles just basic with navigation, unfortunately in my area prices were a bit high, 31k to 33.5k without NAV, 34k to 36k with NAV. Im still learning with this car, here the link of my photos .
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...thread-34.html
Old 07-18-13, 11:08 PM
ecr72
Driver

Quote:

Originally Posted by satnav

Your input is a huge help... Up until now, I thought CPO warranty only came 3 yrs... period. I think you're right that you can't "DE-CPO" a car. The dealer told me that they pay Lexus $995 to certify a car once it has been inspected and reconditioned... and that they usually leave just 1 or 2 cars un-CPOed for the buyers that don't care for it.

There have been reports of dealers removing the CPO and dropping the price, but it seems pretty rare for people to even ask.

As for adding to the CPO warranty, you certainly can exten that when you purchase the vehicle. I don't recall the details but I think we could add another two or three years. According to the finance guy offering us the warranty, he said that was our only opportunity to extend it. Not sure I believe that. Anyway, go look at the CPO window sticker. It shows what additional coverage you can buy above the 3yr/100K they inlude as CPO.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-19-13, 05:36 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure $1,850, 5 Years, 100,000 miles.
Old 07-19-13, 08:37 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2010 CPO owner here. A piece of buying advice...CPO's usually have new tires but inquire about the life remaining on the brake pads as well. Once the pricing negotiation stalls out, you may be able to get them to replace the pads if there's a decent amount of wear. It's a great feeling to drive off the lot in a pre-owned car, with the 2 biggest wear-and-tear items basically new.
Old 07-19-13, 09:48 AM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice... I'm taking down notes for when I go into the dealer.

I had a thought: instead of extending the CPO warranty at time of purchase, I am thinking of declining the CPO warranty altogether. My reasoning is that the CPO warranty is part of the price of the car, and I'd like to avoid paying tax on that. (I'll just add extended warranty sometime down the line before the original 4 yrs/50k warranty runs out.) The question is... how much is CPO warranty worth? How much can I get the price lowered?
Old 07-20-13, 03:52 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the advice... I'm taking down notes for when I go into the dealer.

I had a thought: instead of extending the CPO warranty at time of purchase, I am thinking of declining the CPO warranty altogether. My reasoning is that the CPO warranty is part of the price of the car, and I'd like to avoid paying tax on that. (I'll just add extended warranty sometime down the line before the original 4 yrs/50k warranty runs out.) The question is... how much is CPO warranty worth? How much can I get the price lowered?
I just bought a 27K mile 2010 Lexus RX350 from a local NorCal Lexus dealer that didn't initially have CPO and had them add it (the RX was a trade-in and the factory warrant had just expired).

In the end, I didn't pay much more for the CPO warranty, just a few hundred dollars after heated negotiation, but they claimed it cost between $1000-1500. I have a signed copy of the CPO inspection report and they also did a 'CPO' preso during delivery.
Old 07-23-13, 05:37 AM
mcftlf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

27K and the warranty had expired?
Old 07-23-13, 07:43 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcftlf
27K and the warranty had expired?
well basic 4/50 warranty yes...the car was initially purchased 6/09, so an early RX indeed.
Old 07-23-13, 08:50 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be given the option when you purchase the CPO to be able to extend the warranty - up to 6 years, 125k miles - but it needs to be purchased when buying the car. I was given that option when I purchased my 2008 CPO 400h, but declined. Unsure of the costs involved.
Old 07-23-13, 11:53 AM
mcftlf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seanl
well basic 4/50 warranty yes...the car was initially purchased 6/09, so an early RX indeed.
Wow...the 2010 I bought was made 13 months later (7-10).....2010 was a very long year!
Old 07-24-13, 05:25 PM
AndyT1
Rookie

When I was shopping around for my RX 350 one dealership - Lexus of RI offered the same car as a CPO or as a regular used car with a $900 price reduction. It probably depends on the dealership - some may wait until the last minute to send a car through the CPO process in order to allow room to negotiate.
In the end, I ended up getting a CPO from a different place. I also declined extended CPO coverage since I didn't realize there is a difference between that and an extended warranty. My original plan was and still is to get extended warranty towards the end of my 4/50.
Old 07-25-13, 09:01 AM
MXZ
Driver School Candidate

Two weeks back got (30Kmiles+nav +cpo+new tires- $31K ) a 2010 RX 350 and the dealer is willing to reduce 1K for "de-cpo-ing" the car.
I was in a "hurry"(not well prepared to negotiate) to buy the car so I forgot to ask about adding free 35K service and break pads to the deal.

Good luck with the buying.

Last edited by MXZ; 07-25-13 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: About to buy 2010 RX 350, CPO/extended warranty question