RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 04:50 PM
yankees152
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue with my 2013 RX, rattle on passangers side door.I emptied the glove box thinking it may be in there, and like so many others it only happens on bumpy roads. It is very annoying.
Old 04-07-14, 08:55 PM
yankees152
Driver School Candidate

I was driving home from work tonight and the rattle was alive and well from what I swore was from the passengers door area, for some unknown reason I opened the arm rest compartment and removed the quarters that I had stored in that little coin holder area next to the dual controls for the heated/cool seat controls and presto the rattle was gone ! Problem Solved, I drove home in complete quietness, I even kept the radio off to double check myself. I hope this will help those with that annoying rattle.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-06-18)
Old 04-07-14, 09:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Thanks. Wish it were that easy every time!
Old 04-08-14, 11:06 AM
Soonerlvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a Lincoln with an annoying "tap" right at the driver's left ear.
It turned out to be a plastic tag on a wiring harness.
I think they foamed inside the door post to "quiet" that noise.
Old 12-02-14, 07:20 AM
07RX350AL
Driver School Candidate

I've had this issue for several years now... It is very distracting when driving at speeds.

This past weekend I resolved my at speed tapping noise issue!

I stumbled on this when I closed the driver's door after a long trip. I then reopened and closed the door a few times to determine where the rattle came from. It was the hood. I closed the door, and gently pressed on the hood and noticed it had developed some minor play. I opened the hood and found the two adjustable rubber grommets on the underside of the hood. I manually adjusted them a few quick turns outward and closed the hood. BAM! no more rattle. When driving at speeds in town and on highway, the rattle/tapping noise is completely gone.

I suspect the noise I was hearing traveled through the hood's hinge points and made its way into the cabin - making it sound as if it was in the sunroof area, A-Pillar areas, and lower kick panel areas.

I now can enjoy this car on trips again.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-21-15, 05:10 PM
Mghilborn
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem here

I'm experiencing the same problem on my 2 year old rx 350. My problem seems to be coming from the seat belt housing on the post just behind the drivers ear and shoulder. Dealer replaced some internal part of the housing only, after telling me they'd replace the entire seat belt assembly, which left the status quo...a continued annoying rattling on bumpy roads. They've said they will replace the entire belt assembly. I'll see what happens. On a luxury vehicle at this cost, problems like this should not exist
Old 05-22-15, 05:32 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mghilborn
I'm experiencing the same problem on my 2 year old rx 350. My problem seems to be coming from the seat belt housing on the post just behind the drivers ear and shoulder. Dealer replaced some internal part of the housing only, after telling me they'd replace the entire seat belt assembly, which left the status quo...a continued annoying rattling on bumpy roads. They've said they will replace the entire belt assembly. I'll see what happens. On a luxury vehicle at this cost, problems like this should not exist
Welcome to CL.

I'm sorry you're having rattle issues, but am glad your dealer is working to resolve them with you. Squeaks and rattles drive me nuts as well. Fortunately, I've not had a single one in my 2013 RX450h, approaching 3 years of ownership next month. In fact, after 5 Lexi since 1994, I only remember one rattle that Lexus resolved in my former SC430 a few weeks after I took delivery. Good luck!
Old 05-28-15, 04:55 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 13 RX350 had rattle issue on the driver side b-pillar area before. At first, it was like glass-ticking sound. Then Putnam Lexus greased the door striker screws and the ticking sound was gone. After 6 months, it came back.

Then I tried to use electrical tape to wrap around the door striker with 2-3 rounds and the rattle seems to be significantly reduced and close to none. However, the tape wears out in 4-5 days and opening/closing the door seems jerky. Then I noticed the driver door is not flushed with rear door panel when closed. It was like 1-2mm away from the rear door panel. Putnam Lexus said they couldn't adjust it. Then I took it to Pleasanton Lexus and they have their affiliated body shop to adjust the door striker and the door now closes flushed. Most importantly, the rattle seems mostly gone and wind nose has also been reduced a lot too.

You can give electrical tape solution a try to experiment if it is a 'loosely' closed door that makes the sound. If so, I will guess door striker adjustment can help.

I cross checked other forum, it seems that some Lexus IS owner had similar issue.. even some BMW 3 series owners had that too.
Old 05-29-15, 06:26 AM
nutella
Driver School Candidate

I have had my 2015 RX350 F Sport for a few weeks now and notice rattle when going over slightly bumpy road. In my previous car, there was zero rattles or creaks. It's hard to pin point where it is all coming from but I did notice one major source. The trunk cover/curtain, whatever you call it, thing I took that off as a test and rattle was reduced substantially.

I have two baby seats in and I notice some noise is coming from the seat belts slightly banging in the back.

A tad annoying but nothing I can't live with. Only happens over bumpy roads.
Old 05-29-15, 07:50 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nutella
I have had my 2015 RX350 F Sport for a few weeks now and notice rattle when going over slightly bumpy road. In my previous car, there was zero rattles or creaks. It's hard to pin point where it is all coming from but I did notice one major source. The trunk cover/curtain, whatever you call it, thing I took that off as a test and rattle was reduced substantially.

I have two baby seats in and I notice some noise is coming from the seat belts slightly banging in the back.

A tad annoying but nothing I can't live with. Only happens over bumpy roads.
Ensure when you have the tonneau cover bar in place -- with the cover itself retracted or extended, that the bar itself is tightly clicked-in on both sides. Push it down until you hear the click on the left and the right. If not, it may look like it's in place, but it will eventually rattle. Many of us have had that challenge with each of our RX generations.

Not knowing how your baby seats are connected or if they are in some way contributing to the problem, but re the "rear seat belts slightly banging", perhaps the buckle is hitting the plastic door-side pillar of the RX. If so, you can store the silver part of the buckle when not in use in the little pocket on the side of each rear seat. It works like a champ for me, and has become part of my regime every time I wash the RX to store them back in place.

Those are the pretty common resolutions for your two possible issues. Otherwise, next time you're in for service, before checking-in, I suggest you drive around the dealership to locate a street where the noise is evident, then ask your SA to have someone ride with you so you can have them help locate the source. That's what I did with my 2013, when I thought I had a rattle in the glove box the week after bringing it home. Ended up being the quarters I had filled the center console change holder with that is a just a bit too long, and allows quarters stacked side-by-side to make the occassional noise. Boy, did I think I was stupid on that one, but the service tech was awful nice despite my red face.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-15, 02:13 PM
singh94
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Gribble
ok I might have found something, if you tap on the door panel right around where the door latch is, mine was making a clicking sound, it would vibrate against the metal. I took of the door panel and put felt on the metal part of the door where the door panel rests against the metal part of the door and put felt on the backside of the door panel. I also put a round felt piece right in line where the rubber door stopper touches the inside metal door. So far the noise has been gone for two days. I am convinced it is related to the door panel and not the window seals. I hope this helps!
"this reduced the noise by 80-90%
The following users liked this post:
Madcar (03-03-22)
Old 07-16-15, 01:28 PM
singh94
Driver School Candidate

this repair for 3rd generation rx is a confirmed repair. completed the removing of the panel and on the left side of the door (when facing) where the panel does not have clips close to the door latch. when you remove the panel
put some felt along the formed metal area and also on the door panel side. reinstall and the repair does correct the rattle. attempting now to cure the rear door panel tapping/clicking noise over small bumps -will keep you posted if the same repair will work-
Old 01-05-16, 06:14 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Hate to bump up an old thread but did anyone find a solution to rear seat rattle? To me it seems to come from right rear seat (when facing the steering wheel).

I test drove once earlier for another squeaking sound with the technician .. he mentioned that its the seat. I wanted to be sure before they started touching or messing things in new car.
Old 11-01-16, 01:26 PM
sseaman
Driver School Candidate

I recently had my 2014 in for the rattle noise in near the drivers B pillar, rear door and Lexus replaced the rear inner door panel, said the hole were elongated in where the hardware mounts on the door from being improperly installed, noise is gone now. This is why I bought a CPO so I could have this kind of stuff fixed down the road if needed.
Old 11-08-16, 12:47 PM
blsre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wilchan
Just found this video on youtube. The b-pillar rattle I have on mine is very similar to what this person has in his RAV4.

Incessant rattle in 2006 Toyota RAV4, passenger B pillar. - YouTube
At least you know where it is!

Quick Reply: Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350