RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 11:20 AM
nmnunna32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ericsan13,

First I suspected a clogged cabin filter... So I changed it recently (2 days) ago. But the rattle persisted.

You have a good point... The filter could be brand new but the twig may be already there bouncing around. Is there a way to vacuum or somehow clean the area? Any ideas?
Old 11-21-13, 07:39 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

you could try driving without the cabin filter, and leave the glove compartment open. that might really help you narrow down if the noise is coming from the ventilation system or not
Old 11-24-13, 06:31 AM
felope100
Driver School Candidate

i also have the same problem on the right side of the dashboard but it comes and go. i suspect the sunvisor is the cause
Old 12-13-13, 10:41 AM
billr05
Driver School Candidate

My 2013 RX350 has rattling in the passenger door also. It happens in the colder weather. Goes away somewhat when the car warms up. Wasn't so bad last year but this year its is progressively getting worse. Can't seem to narrow it down and haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Hoping it breaks before I have the dealer tear apart the interior. I've tried to narrow it down: from the glove box to the seat belt etc. No Luck. The only thing that did stop it was wedging my finger between the glove box and the arm rest. I'm going to take it to dealer next month for maintenance. We'll see what Service Dept. thinks.
Old 12-16-13, 04:50 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribble
I have same issue with my 2010, it is So annoying. I just wish I knew what caused it
I had the exact same noise from left rear door when it was newer. I took the panel off and found plastic clip that holds the handle came undone enough to cause rattling but not enough for handle be feel/look loose. it's interesting because it's just two plastic clips instead of traditional screw/bolt types.
Old 12-16-13, 05:22 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the Space Station has rattles in it? Seems to me that with current tech, soundproofing and rattle proofing should be, um, a bit more stable than they are.

They should know where rattles tend to develop and put a bunch of foam insulation around each and every spot. I mean, come on, this is the second most expensive thing most humans ever buy.

I have a squeak / rattle coming from the back right seat latch, I think. Too darn lazy to troubleshoot it.

Although I suspect it is a simple fix I once read about here. Still, nothing like a rattle to make even the most expensive car feel like a cheap piece of crap

Can you guess? I hate rattles
Old 12-18-13, 06:44 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes for a $50K piece of equipment, rattle/squeak is unacceptable. but still need to deal with it and try to fix the issue.

Here is some interesting DIY solution from corradoMR2. I wonder if the b-pillar rattle is anywhere similar to those on IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...vers-side.html

DIY: for taking off b-pillar and headliner.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oval-swap.html

I haven't got the guts to take off interior panel myself yet. but the rattle is driving me crazy and the damn Fremont service mgr & technician kept saying they couldn't hear it.
Old 12-19-13, 11:33 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Just found this video on youtube. The b-pillar rattle I have on mine is very similar to what this person has in his RAV4.

Old 12-20-13, 05:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm with you guys, I hate squeaks and rattles.

Wilchan, I would be shocked if the root cause of your ticking/rattle sound was due to unwelded/unjoined panels on a Lexus as seen with the Rav4. Chances are, it's the plastic housing that slightly rattles which needs to be in a fixed position.

Also, from my experience, would you ever think a rubber seal would "rattle"? I was surprised it can on both my Lexus vehicles. To validate this, tap lightly on the rubber - do you hear a slight squeak/ticking noise? This is where the Part 3/3 in the DIY I posted comes in. Basically put felt tape in between the rubber fold and against the face of the door frame so that now the contacts points are felt tape, and not squeaky metal and/or rubber. This should eliminate this specific sound.

The IS is rock solid with the tape fixes implemented. The RX is nearly squeak free in the front which I'm OK but I have yet to permanently resolve the rear seat rattle. Suggestions on this forum have helped but are not permanent fixes - i.e. rattle is mostly not there if the seat is reclined fully fore or aft, moved fully forward, when someone sits on it, etc. I may take this one in to the dealer...
Old 12-20-13, 06:02 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

corrado
you can roll some bath towels up and wedge them behind the back seats and the rattle will go away, it keeps the rear seats from bouncing around. It's not something you should have to do with a Lexus, but it gets rid of the rattles.
Old 12-20-13, 01:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribble
corrado
you can roll some bath towels up and wedge them behind the back seats and the rattle will go away, it keeps the rear seats from bouncing around. It's not something you should have to do with a Lexus, but it gets rid of the rattles.
Haha I know... but I'll take it if it works!

I remember putting in some towels under the seat from a prior post, but don't believe I put it behind the seat in between the trunk floor right? I'll try it out...
Old 12-20-13, 02:06 PM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Haha I know... but I'll take it if it works!

I remember putting in some towels under the seat from a prior post, but don't believe I put it behind the seat in between the trunk floor right? I'll try it out...
Yes, then lean the rear seats back just enough to put pressure on the towels.
Old 01-10-14, 04:29 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Hi all, I think Putnam Lexus has resolved the b-pillar rattle/ticking in my RX350. Please see if it will be useful in your case.

Background: B-pillar, around seat belt adjustor, has been making ticking sound. It is like glass ticking. Pressing driver side window glass or rear driver side window glass can't stop it. Fremont Lexus has failed to address it for 3 times with some frustrating explanation. I took the car to Putnam Lexus last Fri and they arranged shop foreman to ride with me to check the rattle. Shop foreman heard a glass like ticking sound once during the test drive. He said he had one case similar to this 4 months ago, but not 100% sure. For that case, he adjusted the driver door striker and customer didn't complain it afterward. He asked if I want to give this experimental solution a try and I said go for it.

I have been driving the car for 4 days since I got the car back on Monday and the glass-ticking sound is gone so I think he nailed the problem. I will update after few more weeks to confirm if the ticking sound will come back or not (hopefully not.)

Here is what is written in the paper work:
ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND VERIFIED TICKING NOISE HEARD ON UNEVEN PAVEMENT. REMOVED DOOR STRIKER AND CHECKED MOUNTING BRACKET AND 2 TORZ BOLTS. RETORQUED AND RESECURED ALL BOLTS AND PANELS, ROAD TESTED VEHICLE, FOUND SOUND HEARD IS NO LONGER PRESENT AT THIS TIME.

The following pics showed what need to be adjusted and interior door panel needs to be removed to make adjustment according to what shop foreman explained to me. If you are in Bay Area and with similar issue, you can contact Randy A at Putnam's service department and Randy can arrange shop foreman Peter to check out the issue.
Attached Thumbnails Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350-img_20140110_160552-picsay.jpg   Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350-img_20140110_160613-picsay.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-06-18)
Old 01-10-14, 05:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wilchan
Hi all, I think Putnam Lexus has resolved the b-pillar rattle/ticking in my RX350.
THIS is what we expect for the Lexus Experience. Glad to see they went the extra distance regarding your problem.
Old 01-10-14, 07:10 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Definitely, who would have thought door striker is the root cause while the ticking sound is coming from seat belt area. With no service bulletin, experience from the shop leader really counts.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
THIS is what we expect for the Lexus Experience. Glad to see they went the extra distance regarding your problem.

Quick Reply: Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350