RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Black interiors - why?

Old 07-09-13, 12:03 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Black interiors - why?

In a recent thread on colours a lot of members said they like black interiors. Why?

OK, they don't show dirt so much. Otherwise I can't see anything in favour of a black interior. They make the vehicle look and feel smaller inside, get hot as heck in summer, and obscure the styling detail which is part of what we pay for in our Lexus.

For me it's light colours inside and bright colours outside.
Old 07-09-13, 06:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Poisson
In a recent thread on colours a lot of members said they like black interiors. Why?

OK, they don't show dirt so much. Otherwise I can't see anything in favour of a black interior. They make the vehicle look and feel smaller inside, get hot as heck in summer, and obscure the styling detail which is part of what we pay for in our Lexus.

I love the look of black leather. The easy to keep clean is great too. My last 5 vehicles have had black leather.
As far as an heat issue, I don't think it's a big deal. All interiors get hot.
I have tinted windows but even without the tint it wasn't a big deal. Ventilated seats work.
Old 07-09-13, 06:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

It's literally all black in the F-Sport (including carpeting, headliner and wood is darkened). I don't mind it for it's sportier look, but agree it looks less luxurious (more plasticky) than say Parchment interior which for instance, contrasts nicely in the door panels. If I had a choice with the F-Sport, I'd pick a lighter color on the inside.
Old 07-09-13, 07:41 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ES and GS had a light gray semi-analine leather - after several years, it became a light gray + hint of dirty-faded-gray interior. This is with meticulous cleaning & conditioning... and blue jeans dye transfers to the leather are very visible.

On the other hand, my black interior, stayed black.

... i am in favor of a black interior
Old 07-09-13, 07:51 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, like exterior colors, some people swear by black interiors -- choice is great in luxury vehicles.

Personally, I've only owned one solid black interior -- my 335i Convertible. While the "dark on dark" look of what I ordered was OK for a change, I would not do it again -- ever. IMHO living in Southern California, a black interior, especially on the seats is hotter -- convertible or not. Also, while black may not show dirt as fast -- it's still there. It shows off dirty feet on the mats, and lint and dust in the crevices of the leather folds and tucks where it tends to accumulate faster. Personally, I don't eat or cause a lot of "dirt" to get in my rides other than blue jean transfer that is more evident on lighter colors (but is still there on black if one cleans it with a white towel.) I'm not OCD that I know , but for me having a creme-colored Golden Retriever that rides in my RX most of the time, a solid black interior would be a nightmare with her constant shedding, despite my almost weekly vacuum routine.

Personally, I like the contrast another interior color provides with the black trim and instrument cluster. Lighter is generally better for me as well, with my favorite interior probably having been light gray, although I've had ecru (off white) and parchment in my Lexi over the years. Saddle, depending on it's tone and availability, will be a future consideration. For me, it all comes down to how the mfgr splits the black trim and wood with other color interior components -- e.g. I didn't buy the "gray" interior on my present RX450h because it has even more black on the interior compared to a "gray" RX350, but my new MBZ will have bengal red (think dark muted red, not like a fire engine) seats with black contrasting stitching, red door panel inserts, red interior accent lighting, with the rest of the interior being solid black including black wood accents, and a metallic white exterior. Contrast and how it plays off the design is it for me. What my ride looks like is as important as how it rides and the options it comes with, and is why I special order to get just what I want each time.

I'm glad mfgrs like Lexus provide options to make our decisions that much harder!
Old 07-09-13, 08:14 AM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Default Black Interior wears really well over time

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
My ES and GS had a light gray semi-analine leather - after several years, it became a light gray + hint of dirty-faded-gray interior. This is with meticulous cleaning & conditioning... and blue jeans dye transfers to the leather are very visible.

On the other hand, my black interior, stayed black.

... i am in favor of a black interior
IMO, Black is the best color interior over time.
I have a FJ with back interior and red inserts( washable cloth) and it looks brand new, as in still in the show room new.
Have you ever seen a light color leather interior that looked good on an older vehicle?
Cadillacs, Porsches, Corvettes- it doesn't matter, they all look bad in the lighter shades.
I have a beige leather interior in a Mustang Cobra, and it shows wrinkles a lot.
I have a 96 LC with grey leather and I had to change the front seat's leather because it showed the wear and cracks so badly.
Black leather looks cleaner and the wear is less noticeable.
The F Sport, back with white perforations is really good looking and the seats are easy to clean...gm
Old 07-09-13, 09:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Black is an awesome interior color. In my 450h it's contrasted with a light gray headliner from the dash/doors on up. It's more like having a two toned interior. I don't think it makes the RXh cabin feel small or lose detail. Heat is no different than other colors. It does show dust but I wipe the surfaces down with a cleaner than repels it and keep a Swiffer in the glove compartment.
Old 07-09-13, 01:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Black is an awesome interior color. In my 450h it's contrasted with a light gray headliner from the dash/doors on up. It's more like having a two toned interior. I don't think it makes the RXh cabin feel small or lose detail. Heat is no different than other colors. It does show dust but I wipe the surfaces down with a cleaner than repels it and keep a Swiffer in the glove compartment.
Which cleaner? My daily swiffing only goes so far
Old 07-09-13, 02:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Which cleaner? My daily swiffing only goes so far
Corrado, I use Optimum Protection Plus. It doesn't completely eliminate dust but cuts down on it. The best part is it can be used on the leather seats too. When exiting, you'll slide out of them.
Old 07-09-13, 05:12 PM
plusONEran
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i want black headliner and pillar panels... who wants to trade? =) sf bay area
Old 07-09-13, 06:20 PM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Default A Lexus Dealer in a town near you ......

Originally Posted by plusONEran
i want black headliner and pillar panels... who wants to trade? =) sf bay area
Wants to sell you an F Sport!
Gm
Old 07-10-13, 01:12 AM
ecr72
Driver

I've always heard black is "hotter" in the summer, but now that my saily driver has black leather, I'm not so sure. After work, it feels no different than my old Jetta with grey interior. Today I drove the RX with tan interior and it felt the same... hot. If anything the black may add a couple degrees in my opinion.

Black is slick looking and wears well. A cleaning of my Altima with almost 90K and it looks as good as new. This is after years of my wife carting the kids around in it as her daily driver. To me the "feeling" of it being smaller is just that, a feeling and it doesn't bother me in the least. The actual space is still the same so who cares.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-10-13, 09:49 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the black interior on both my '07 RX and my '10 RX, and I love it! I live in hot Florida and it's never been an issue for me, plus another benefit of the black interior along with my tinted windows almost feels like you're wearing an extra pair of sunglasses, as there seems to be less glare due to the dark interior.

Now, on the 2013 RX, I don't care for the black or gray interior 'cause I don't like the black wood. It makes the interior seem even more darker. I think you've gotta have the contrast of the walnut color of the wood with the black interior.
Old 07-11-13, 05:02 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never had a problem keeping my light coloured interiors clean. At least until SWMBO got a bloody spaniel which really filthies up the interior of our C-class.

My RX350 (light grey interior) was 7 years old when I sold it, and people kept asking me if it was new. Likewise with the Benz - until the arrival of the dog!
Old 07-11-13, 08:09 AM
eightblack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem keeping my light coloured interiors clean. At least until SWMBO got a bloody spaniel which really filthies up the interior of our C-class.

My RX350 (light grey interior) was 7 years old when I sold it, and people kept asking me if it was new. Likewise with the Benz - until the arrival of the dog!
Agreed - kids and dogs dont belong in cars. But our RX350 F Sport is my wifes car and she treats it like a school bus and shopping cart. We live in CO, so it gets dirty in winter a lot and she and the kids ignore me when I complain about the state of the inside. In fact, they ignore me most of the time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black interiors - why?