RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help! How to disable computer so I can play an audiobook from iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:32 PM
seagrace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face --issue solved--Help! How to disable computer so I can play an audiobook from iPod?

Hello and thank you in advance.

My aunt and uncle and driving their 2013 350 on a road trip and I gave them my older iPod so they could listen to audiobooks from iTunes on the iPod. When I connected the iPod using the USB the computer took over and made the option of listening to the audiobook *very* cumbersome by having to use the onboard computer. They're older and simply want to run the audiobooks directly from the iPod screen.. I see an accident happening for them fiddling with *****.

Is there a way to connect the iPod and simply run it through the radio without the computer taking over the commands? Besides, they want to use the GPS on the screen as well. Ack. Computer technology trying to be smarter than us not working.

Help?

THANK YOU!

Last edited by seagrace; 07-01-13 at 04:29 PM. Reason: issue solved
Old 07-01-13, 12:58 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Grace, that's a good question. Try pulling the USB plug and see if you can connect through Blue Tooth, then they could control it the way they want. I've not tried it so not sure but guessing it should work.
Originally Posted by seagrace
Hello and thank you in advance.

My aunt and uncle and driving their 2013 350 on a road trip and I gave them my older iPod so they could listen to audiobooks from iTunes on the iPod. When I connected the iPod using the USB the computer took over and made the option of listening to the audiobook *very* cumbersome by having to use the onboard computer. They're older and simply want to run the audiobooks directly from the iPod screen.. I see an accident happening for them fiddling with *****.

Is there a way to connect the iPod and simply run it through the radio without the computer taking over the commands? Besides, they want to use the GPS on the screen as well. Ack. Computer technology trying to be smarter than us not working.

Help?

THANK YOU!
Old 07-01-13, 01:04 PM
seagrace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Grace, that's a good question. Try pulling the USB plug and see if you can connect through Blue Tooth, then they could control it the way they want. I've not tried it so not sure but guessing it should work.
There must be loads of people who want to play their content off their device by the devices controls, not the cumbersome car computer! I will see if there is a bluetooth option. Thank you!
Old 07-01-13, 04:30 PM
seagrace
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved! There is a "male to male" 3mm cord with the connection just next to the USB port. It will allow an iPod/phone to connect to the speakers only so you can run your audio directly from the device and not have to use the car computer!
Old 07-01-13, 07:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great, that's a new feature that's not on my 2010.
Originally Posted by seagrace
Problem solved! There is a "male to male" 3mm cord with the connection just next to the USB port. It will allow an iPod/phone to connect to the speakers only so you can run your audio directly from the device and not have to use the car computer!