RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rock chip in paint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 02:25 AM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock chip in paint question

Hi,
I have a 2013 RX350 Starfire white that already has a rock chip on the hood (car is not even a week old yet). chip is about 2-3mm in length and about 1-2mm in width. It's visible and is an eyesore to me. What are my options at this point?

Thanks,

Blarf
Old 06-27-13, 06:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Touch up paint and possibly clear bra.

If you dont like clear bra, get some wolfs hard body and get into the habit of detailing.
Old 06-27-13, 07:24 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blarf
Hi,
I have a 2013 RX350 Starfire white that already has a rock chip on the hood (car is not even a week old yet). chip is about 2-3mm in length and about 1-2mm in width. It's visible and is an eyesore to me. What are my options at this point?

Thanks,

Blarf
If you have this place http://www.carsmetics.com/California/LakeForest close by.......................... they do good work.
Old 06-27-13, 08:25 AM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

should i take it to a body shop or do it myself?
Old 06-27-13, 09:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

should i take it to a body shop or do it myself?
Leave it to the experts unless you have a steady hand and some skills with this. You do not want to make a bigger mess of things with so little time on the road as you would be looking at any attempted repair for some time to come. Talk to the dealer next time you are in for service. They might be able to take care of it for you while it is already there.
Old 06-27-13, 09:31 AM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Leave it to the experts unless you have a steady hand and some skills with this. You do not want to make a bigger mess of things with so little time on the road as you would be looking at any attempted repair for some time to come. Talk to the dealer next time you are in for service. They might be able to take care of it for you while it is already there.
next service is in a while. i barely have 200miles on the car. It just bothers me. I was above to get the front end wrapped in the clear bra too
Old 06-27-13, 11:20 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

next service is in a while. i barely have 200miles on the car. It just bothers me. I was above to get the front end wrapped in the clear bra too
If you were going to have the dealership do the front end wrap for you then I would give your salesperson a call and see if they will do you a favor in fixing the chip beforehand.
Old 06-27-13, 11:31 AM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you were going to have the dealership do the front end wrap for you then I would give your salesperson a call and see if they will do you a favor in fixing the chip beforehand.
I'll ask them. I'll go professionally. My wife says she doesn't care (it's her car) but it bothers me so needs to be fixed. Anyone recommending any good shop in LA to install a clear bra?
Thanks for your assists guys
Old 06-28-13, 10:44 PM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

Well, I had a repair shop look at it and they quoted me at $450 to fix it. The dealership said that they would detail it and wax it to see if it goes away....

Now I'm debating between touch up paint from the dealership or Dr. Color chip repair kit. what do you guys think?
Old 06-28-13, 10:54 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Well, I had a repair shop look at it and they quoted me at $450 to fix it. The dealership said that they would detail it and wax it to see if it goes away....

Now I'm debating between touch up paint from the dealership or Dr. Color chip repair kit. what do you guys think?
You have a picture of it?
Old 06-29-13, 10:17 AM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

yes, on my cell phone. I'll try to post it. It's small (maybe 3mm in diameter)...I just want to get it fixed so i could get that Xpel ultimate clear bra on afterwords
Old 07-01-13, 01:25 AM
blarf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by seanlin
You have a picture of it?

As i said, it's small but it bothers me and i wanna get it done before i put the Xpel film on..... so touch up paint? Dr.colorchip? body shop?
Old 07-01-13, 06:20 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As i said, it's small but it bothers me and i wanna get it done before i put the Xpel film on..... so touch up paint? Dr.colorchip? body shop?
I would let a pro do it so that you won't be able to tell where the chip was............................. DYI and you'll be looking at it till the day you sell it. The dealer should be able to recommend a pro who they use for situations like this. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by azinn; 07-01-13 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-01-13, 07:39 AM
seanlin
Rookie

What exactly repair shop gonna do for $450?

I would probably just touch up it to make it harder to see. There is some touch up pen (search in amazon) which is easier to use than dealer's touch up paint.
Old 07-01-13, 08:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a stone chip? Are you sure? because the undercoat is white, not black.

Quick Reply: Rock chip in paint question