RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Over Extension of Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 08:06 AM
MNP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Extension of Suspension

I've had my 2012 RX 350 for more than a year now. From the very beginning I had this occasional problem: Stopping fairly quickly (but NOT any sort of panic stop) at a small downhill, I sometimes would get a rather substantial clunk somewhere in the rear. It sounded pretty serious--axle or suspension, I thought. Of course when I first brought it to my dealer (Ray Catena-Westchester, NY) I couldn't duplicate it. But then, I convinced the service manager to send a mechanic to my house, where there's a place where it often happens.

Finally, he heard the clunk (so I wasn't crazy). The service manager did some research and concluded I was hearing an "over-extension of the suspension". He sent another RX350 to my house, and indeed, we were able to replicate the clunk at the same place, in that different vehicle. On the other hand, a friend, who also has an RX350 said he never had the problem.

The service manager says there is nothing abnormal about the clunk. This is hard for me to believe. It's a really substantial clunk and in my 45 years of driving I've never experienced anything like it.

I searched this forum to see if anyone has reported this issue but couldn't find anything. So I ask here..does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks

Michael
Old 06-25-13, 08:18 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MNP
I've had my 2012 RX 350 for more than a year now. From the very beginning I had this occasional problem: Stopping fairly quickly (but NOT any sort of panic stop) at a small downhill, I sometimes would get a rather substantial clunk somewhere in the rear. It sounded pretty serious--axle or suspension, I thought. Of course when I first brought it to my dealer (Ray Catena-Westchester, NY) I couldn't duplicate it. But then, I convinced the service manager to send a mechanic to my house, where there's a place where it often happens.

Finally, he heard the clunk (so I wasn't crazy). The service manager did some research and concluded I was hearing an "over-extension of the suspension". He sent another RX350 to my house, and indeed, we were able to replicate the clunk at the same place, in that different vehicle. On the other hand, a friend, who also has an RX350 said he never had the problem.

The service manager says there is nothing abnormal about the clunk. This is hard for me to believe. It's a really substantial clunk and in my 45 years of driving I've never experienced anything like it.

I searched this forum to see if anyone has reported this issue but couldn't find anything. So I ask here..does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks

Michael
Yh it does clunk slightly. Happened in all third generation RX's ive been in. Nothing abnormal. Even mine does it. It happens because the weight is shifted quickly to one side. When i say its a clunk. I mean its a small clunk which cannot be heard in the cabin. Only heard when the windows are open.
Old 06-25-13, 08:34 AM
MNP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans
Yh it does clunk slightly. Happened in all third generation RX's ive been in. Nothing abnormal. Even mine does it. It happens because the weight is shifted quickly to one side. When i say its a clunk. I mean its a small clunk which cannot be heard in the cabin. Only heard when the windows are open.
My clunk can be heard in the cabin even with the radio on loud and the windows closed.
Old 06-25-13, 09:30 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear this every now and again. I just chalk it up to every car has their own little things. Lexus seems to be steering and suspension hiccups once and a while. As long as it doesn't become too glaring an issue, I can live with it.
Old 06-25-13, 09:55 AM
velopod
Driver School Candidate

Probably just hitting the bump stops on the strut towers. No big deal and why they are there, as long as you aren't doing it often (lowered cars on race tracks with hard braking/turns). Bit more noticeable/unusual on a "Luxury SUV", but the Rx is a VERY quiet vehicle mostly, but the suspension is pretty softly tuned.