RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Dealers Unwilling to Negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 05:02 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Dealers Unwilling to Negotiate

I'm in the market for a 2010 Lexus RX450h. Less than 60,000 miles and preferably CPO although that isn't a deal breaker. I've made offers on a number of cars from Lexus and only one was able to take off $500 but thats it and most have told me they are priced at their lowest price and they don't negotiate. What are your thoughts on :

Option 1- Obsidian with black interior AWD 59,000 Miles Premium, Comfort and Nav asking $33,999 CPO

Option 2- Similar option as one above Cerulean Blue Metallic with/ white/black interior asking price is $33,999 but is not CPO 55,000 miles

Option 3- Smoky Granite Mica-51,000 miles. Same options asking price is $31,800 but not from a Lexus dealer and only 1 key with the car.

Options 4 CPO Smokey Granite Mica- 43,000 miles same options. $36400

Thoughts?
Old 06-18-13, 05:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My immediate reaction is that those cars are overpriced.

My reasoning is that back in 2010, the RX started at less than 40 thousand for the awd model. Depending on what options they are equipped with, my guess is just the premium package and navigation, the car could not have been more than 44 thousand msrp.

As such, with 3 years of ownership and considerable miles, anything over 32 thousand is overpriced. Just my thought.
Old 06-18-13, 05:39 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I'm in the market for a 2010 Lexus RX450h. Less than 60,000 miles and preferably CPO although that isn't a deal breaker. I've made offers on a number of cars from Lexus and only one was able to take off $500 but thats it and most have told me they are priced at their lowest price and they don't negotiate. What are your thoughts on :

Option 1- Obsidian with black interior AWD 59,000 Miles Premium, Comfort and Nav asking $33,999 CPO

Option 2- Similar option as one above Cerulean Blue Metallic with/ white/black interior asking price is $33,999 but is not CPO 55,000 miles

Option 3- Smoky Granite Mica-51,000 miles. Same options asking price is $31,800 but not from a Lexus dealer and only 1 key with the car.

Options 4 CPO Smokey Granite Mica- 43,000 miles same options. $36400

Thoughts?
Can you afford new RX?
Or just get Highlander. Or Acura RDX for ~35K. Audi Q5 is very solidly build.
Also, try looking for either private sale, or a sale from non-Lexus Luxury dealer (MB, LR, Audi).
If you can wait, keep looking-something will pop up...
Old 06-18-13, 06:02 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those prices are way too high. For that kind of mileage, it should be no higher than 31k. It's all about demand and after cars have sat for a while, dealers come down on the price. Other dealers are stubborn and figure they will find a sucker to buy at their price.Try contacting dealers in other parts of the country and see what they want for a CPO. It's the same warranty no matter where you live. Otherwise, as has been said before, look for a private sale or another company dealer.
Old 06-18-13, 06:35 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF

My reasoning is that back in 2010, the RX started at less than 40 thousand for the awd model. Depending on what options they are equipped with, my guess is just the premium package and navigation, the car could not have been more than 44 thousand msrp.

As such, with 3 years of ownership and considerable miles, anything over 32 thousand is overpriced. Just my thought.
Perhaps I didn't list the option packages correctly. The options are the HID/adaptive function , heated seats, navigation, park assist.

I thought those prices were high but they act insulted when I offer even $1,000 less than asking price.
Old 06-18-13, 08:13 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't matter what anybody here thinks about whether the price is too high, it is the dealer's discretion to set the price he feels fits in with his market. If he won't negotiate off his price you have a few choices: 1) accept his price, 2) go to other Lexus dealer's out of your normal area, or 3) select another brand. We all complain when buying that the price is too high, and when we sell the price we get is too low. Fact.....the dealers are in business to make money....from you!!
Old 06-18-13, 11:35 PM
ecr72
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF

Your numbers and logic are good for a RX350, not a RX450h.

With the mileage, the numbers seem a bit on the high side but not by a lot.

I never like dealing with a dealer who acts like they price the car fair and refuse to make a deal. Ones that display "True Price" and crap like that are the worst to deal with even when you show them that their numbers are absurd. If a dealer acts offended by your offer, you should walk out the door right then.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-19-13, 07:18 AM
GCTJ
Driver School Candidate

Re: dealerships and negotiating . . . I can't help you there but in regards to mileage and pricing, which might help with your negotiating . . .

The wife and I are relatively new owners to a used 2011 CPO RXh that we purchsed about two months ago. In researching vehicles, I came across this post which I thought was very useful to help determine relative pricing - http://www.pcfastlane.com/used-car-deals/ I then created my own version of the spreadsheet using cars.com data as my data points (never got around to importing KBB data as standards though) and made some charts that we used to guide us on how good/bad of a deal cars we were interested in were, and how much negotiating we may/may not want to do. I've attached (or am going to attempt to do so) a composite image of the outputs of the chart. Not sure if it'll be legible but maybe you can use it to roughly plot your cars of interest on it?

BTW, if you're interested in getting my spreadsheet and updating/adjusting for your purposes since the data is from early April 2013, PM me and I can pass it along.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Dealers Unwilling to Negotiate-carresearch.jpg  

Last edited by GCTJ; 06-19-13 at 07:52 AM. Reason: attempting to add attachment since Flickr image might not show up
Old 06-19-13, 09:19 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My guess is they're unwilling to negotiate because of low inventory. I was looking at two dealers by me recently. Neither had any pre-owned 450hs in stock. It may come down to timing. You can wait or maybe expand your search area. Good luck.
Old 06-19-13, 12:06 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can check CPO Lexus pricing on kbb.com ... this should tell you if they are reasonable. In my area (CA), the 2010 FWD 450h had a sticker of $52k +, AWD $54k +. You might make a few calls to dealers outside of your immediate area ... but, I'm not sure the prices you were getting are that bad.
Old 06-19-13, 01:45 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by ecr72
Your numbers and logic are good for a RX350, not a RX450h.

With the mileage, the numbers seem a bit on the high side but not by a lot.

I never like dealing with a dealer who acts like they price the car fair and refuse to make a deal. Ones that display "True Price" and crap like that are the worst to deal with even when you show them that their numbers are absurd. If a dealer acts offended by your offer, you should walk out the door right then.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
You're right. I misread the first post and though he was looking at the gas model.
Old 06-19-13, 02:27 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

You guys mention searching outside of my immediate area but I live in Ohio. 3 out of the 4 cars are located 2,000 miles away in California. One of them is located in NJ. If I were to purchase a similarly equipped car here in Ohio I'd be looking at 38K+. I spoke with 3 different dealers here in Cali and they felt their price was fair. They said they're getting calls about the car and it's just a matter of time before it's gone.

EDIT: Do you feel that LED headlights are worth it? I've never had a issue with HID as far brightness is concerned but I'm curious if the LED's are dramatically brighter.

Last edited by CometVR4; 06-19-13 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 05:41 PM
RXSF

LEDs are certainly not brighter so do not buy them for that reason. The only reason to buy them is the cool factor because they look good. Some even say they are more dim than HIDs
Old 06-19-13, 06:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
You guys mention searching outside of my immediate area but I live in Ohio. 3 out of the 4 cars are located 2,000 miles away in California. One of them is located in NJ. If I were to purchase a similarly equipped car here in Ohio I'd be looking at 38K+. I spoke with 3 different dealers here in Cali and they felt their price was fair. They said they're getting calls about the car and it's just a matter of time before it's gone.

EDIT: Do you feel that LED headlights are worth it? I've never had a issue with HID as far brightness is concerned but I'm curious if the LED's are dramatically brighter.
Didn't realize you already looked outside of Ohio. It wasn't clear in your first post. I just checked a few dealers around me and found Option 4. I assume you're not interested in the Starfire Pearl CPO RXh they have for $35.9K with 25K miles. Most on your list are darker colors. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the dealer so I can't tell you how they are. Competition is pretty fierce around here with maybe 20 dealers within a 50 mile radius. Keep checking.

Re the LED headlights, I have to agree it's all about the looks. I went from HIDS to the LEDs. There's definitely a difference in brightness. But the fog lights help.
Old 06-19-13, 07:37 PM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Search Lexus's CPO site for state of Virginia. There is a dealer there that sells quite a lot of CPO 450h's. that's where I got mine and I am in ga.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealers Unwilling to Negotiate