RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Dealers Unwilling to Negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 06:00 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips! I have no problem getting a car with 50K on it to save a few thousand. My wife is afraid of getting something with higher miles in fear that it's going to break down at 100,000 miles. Ultimately we like the Aurora White Pearl or Starfire Pearl. I'm just having some trouble with getting the options I want with the color combo. We like the grey/black interior as oppose to the parchment. HID, Nav, AWD, IPA are must have options. I don't care much about the power folding mirrors, HUD, and LED since you guys isn't much brighter than HID.

Update:
Option 1 just lowered the price to $32,999
Option 4 called me back with a last time price of $35,999 then the car goes to wholesale.

I assume since we're getting closer to the end of the month the dealers are dropping the prices.
I was ready to move foward but they just informed me that purchasing a car in California would require me to pay California sales tax of 9% then pay another 6.5% with I register the car in Ohio. The only way to avoid this is to have a shipping company pick up the car which I'm looking at anywhere from $800-$1,300. I have plenty of sky miles and my plan was to redeem some mileage and fly to Cali and drive the car back to Ohio.
Old 06-21-13, 09:42 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RE: tax, most states have reciprocal agreements. are you saying CA and Ohio don't work together?
Originally Posted by CometVR4
Thanks for the tips! I have no problem getting a car with 50K on it to save a few thousand. My wife is afraid of getting something with higher miles in fear that it's going to break down at 100,000 miles. Ultimately we like the Aurora White Pearl or Starfire Pearl. I'm just having some trouble with getting the options I want with the color combo. We like the grey/black interior as oppose to the parchment. HID, Nav, AWD, IPA are must have options. I don't care much about the power folding mirrors, HUD, and LED since you guys isn't much brighter than HID.

Update:
Option 4 called me back with a last time price of $35,999 then the car goes to wholesale.

I assume since we're getting closer to the end of the month the dealers are dropping the prices.
I was ready to move foward but they just informed me that purchasing a car in California would require me to pay California sales tax of 9% then pay another 6.5% with I register the car in Ohio. The only way to avoid this is to have a shipping company pick up the car which I'm looking at anywhere from $800-$1,300. I have plenty of sky miles and my plan was to redeem some mileage and fly to Cali and drive the car back to Ohio.
Old 06-21-13, 01:35 PM
atang1979
Driver School Candidate

Regardless of where you buy the car, they should be able to provide you with a non-resident temp tag. With that being said, you can't pay tax on the same car twice. That just makes no sense. I registered my car in NY and purchased my car in NJ. The dealer in NJ issued me a non-resident tag and charged me tax for NY.

Update:

Old 06-21-13, 04:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling.stm

"If you buy a vehicle outside of Ohio for use in Ohio, credit may be given for any tax paid to the other state and may be deducted from taxes due in Ohio."

Best to double check with your local motor vehicle office.
Old 06-22-13, 10:31 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer in Va collected my Ga taxes and filed registration with the state of Ga for me. Didn't pay any Va taxes. They should handle it for you.
Old 06-22-13, 05:02 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP. I moved from CT to CA. I can tell you one thing. Since I bought my car less than 365 days ago, CA WILL MAKE YOU PAY THEIR 9.5% sales tax. Since I paid 6.35 with CT, I am going to have to make up the difference. Of course I am going to ride out as long as I can and wait 3 more months before I register the vehicle.

As far as prices, they change dramatically between area. In CT, cars go for 2-4K less than what they are asking for here in the Bay area. In CT, I bought my FWD 2011 450h for 35200 with 37K miles on it. It wasn't a CPO, but I am adding the 4 yr/100K warranty on my car for $1600. So for about $38000, I got a CPO 2011 FWD 450h in CT.
Old 06-22-13, 09:10 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Thank you guys for the info! I called the title office and they confirmed if I pay Cali sales tax they would credit me the difference.

I decided to move forward with option 2:

I faxed the information to my credit union and was expecting the dealer to take a deposit and hold the vehicle but they said their policy is they don't hold cars. I balked at their crazy rule and tried to get them to make an exception since I'm 2,000 miles away but he wanted me to fly out the next day which was ridiculously expensive. I didn't want to take any chances of buying a ticket a week or so in advance only to find out someone local walked in a bought the car. So I stopped the process there. If Coliseum Lexus of Oakland would have just held the car for me and provided better customer service they would've had a sale.

For fun I checked online to find another one and I noticed a different Lexus RX 450h showed up in my search... It was only 75 radius miles away. I called them and they had the car so I made the drive today. Needless to say I made the purchase. The price was the same but compared to the Cali cars, it would be cheaper since I'm not shipping or driving the vehicle back to Ohio. It also included new tires, all books, 2 master keys, LED headlights, and remote start.

Last edited by CometVR4; 06-22-13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 04:42 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Eddie, congratulations on your new ride. When you get an opportunity, please post photos.
Thank you guys for the info! I called the title office and they confirmed if I pay Cali sales tax they would credit me the difference.

I decided to move forward with option 2:

I faxed the information to my credit union and was expecting the dealer to take a deposit and hold the vehicle but they said their policy is they don't hold cars. I balked at their crazy rule and tried to get them to make an exception since I'm 2,000 miles away but he wanted me to fly out the next day which was ridiculously expensive. I didn't want to take any chances of buying a ticket a week or so in advance only to find out someone local walked in a bought the car. So I stopped the process there. If Coliseum Lexus of Oakland would have just held the car for me and provided better customer service they would've had a sale.

For fun I checked online to find another one and I noticed a different Lexus RX 450h showed up in my search... It was only 75 radius miles away. I called them and they had the car so I made the drive today. Needless to say I made the purchase. The price was the same but compared to the Cali cars, it would be cheaper since I'm not shipping or driving the vehicle back to Ohio. It also included new tires, all books, 2 master keys, LED headlights, and remote start.
Old 06-23-13, 05:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Glad it all worked in the end. Enjoy your 450h. And like Jim said said, post some pictures. It's mandatory
Old 06-23-13, 06:33 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

O_O

Those are all somewhat high-mileage vehicles given the age and are all VERY overpriced.

I'm in the market for a 2010 Lexus RX450h. Less than 60,000 miles and preferably CPO although that isn't a deal breaker. I've made offers on a number of cars from Lexus and only one was able to take off $500 but thats it and most have told me they are priced at their lowest price and they don't negotiate. What are your thoughts on :

Option 1- Obsidian with black interior AWD 59,000 Miles Premium, Comfort and Nav asking $33,999 CPO

Option 2- Similar option as one above Cerulean Blue Metallic with/ white/black interior asking price is $33,999 but is not CPO 55,000 miles

Option 3- Smoky Granite Mica-51,000 miles. Same options asking price is $31,800 but not from a Lexus dealer and only 1 key with the car.

Options 4 CPO Smokey Granite Mica- 43,000 miles same options. $36400

Thoughts?
Old 06-23-13, 10:39 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Hi all,

To clarify the sales tax issue with California sales to out of state buyers. I live in New Jersey. Last year I bought a new '12 RX-350 from a Northern Cali Dealer. I was told that if I tried to drive the RX home to Jersey then Cali would charge me the sales tax,and Jersey would also charge me sales tax to register the new vehicle. My excellent internet sales guy from the dealership said I could get it transported to Jersey,and not pay any Cali sales tax.
I had it transported on a car truck for about $1,100 ,and received it in my drive way 5days later. I avoided the Cali tax totally.

I saved a lot of money on the RX,and got my desired built in Japan model. The whole process was seamless,with no stress.

Luckily on my Wife's new '12 IS-250 I bought it two hours away in Maryland.
Old 06-25-13, 08:16 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Thanks! I actually like this thing. I told my wife we may need to swap cars. The technology and improvement over the 400h is night and day. I can never tell when the ICE is running or kicking in. I drove 3 different 400h's and they all had this clunk characteristic when the ICE activates from a stoplight.

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Hi all,

To clarify the sales tax issue with California sales to out of state buyers. I live in New Jersey. Last year I bought a new '12 RX-350 from a Northern Cali Dealer. I was told that if I tried to drive the RX home to Jersey then Cali would charge me the sales tax,and Jersey would also charge me sales tax to register the new vehicle. My excellent internet sales guy from the dealership said I could get it transported to Jersey,and not pay any Cali sales tax.
I had it transported on a car truck for about $1,100 ,and received it in my drive way 5days later. I avoided the Cali tax totally.

I saved a lot of money on the RX,and got my desired built in Japan model. The whole process was seamless,with no stress.

Luckily on my Wife's new '12 IS-250 I bought it two hours away in Maryland.
Thanks. I was given that option as well, but I didn't want to spend 1,300 for shipping then spend another $2500 out of pocket for sales tax in Ohio. Driving the vehicle would have costed me less than 500 for hotel and fuel since I have Skymiles and HHoners points. Additionally, You have to utilize the dealerships preferred shipping company to avoid paying sales tax according to the Cali DMV.
Old 06-25-13, 08:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks! I actually like this thing.
And that is what counts.

If you are interested in an extended warranty, you might try talking to the following individual who has provided quotes and contacts to others here at Club Lexus. Does not matter where you purchased it as long as it has a "Lexus" warranty you should be good. Those third party ones are hit-or-miss.

Not sure if he can help you, but does not hurt to ask. Have your VIN available.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 06-28-13, 05:04 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Thanks for the info about the warranty. The dealer offered an extended warranty for $2250 with $200 deductible until 100,000 miles. I passed.

Here are the pictures!

My only issues with the car is I can't seem to turn off the bread crumbs on the navigation and I think the ventilated seats are clogged because while I can hear the fan running I feel little to no air.