RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX Software

Old 06-04-13, 01:08 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX Software

I plan to keep my RX 'forever'. I understand technology changes rapidly. I was wondering if it is recommended that I update my AV software. i.e. Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, etc. I have not checked, but by now they must have ways to connect to phone Apps, Pandora, etc. Or maybe not. Just wondering if it is worth it, and how much would that run - with dealer, or after market?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-13, 01:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
I plan to keep my RX 'forever'. I understand technology changes rapidly. I was wondering if it is recommended that I update my AV software. i.e. Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, etc. I have not checked, but by now they must have ways to connect to phone Apps, Pandora, etc. Or maybe not. Just wondering if it is worth it, and how much would that run - with dealer, or after market?

Thanks.
If your RX has Bluetooth then you will be good to go for some time to come. Paired with a quality smartphone you can use it to connect to your RX, that device can be replaced repeatedly over the years and provide the services you need in a much more cost friendly manner. If you upgrade the components in your RX now then you would be stuck with that and at a much higher cost.
Old 06-04-13, 05:07 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed. OP, in addition, the 2013s received an upgraded (hardware) head unit. It's why functions like Enform Apps cannot be enabled on earlier 2010-12 gen3 RXs. Upgrading the head unit would be big bucks if Lexus could even do it given how tied it is to other systems on the truck... It's certainly not something I would personally even consider upgrading in my vehicle if it could be done, and instead if it did ultimately become so outdated in functionality it bothered me, it would become a major reason to consider a newer RX.

One note... I had my gen 2 RX400h for over 7 years, having purchased it the month after it became available. I used multiple cell phones and iPhones with it over the years including my iPhone4. What it lacked was ability to stream music and plug-in a USB or iOS device (not even a standard iPod) which is not an issue with your 2012. I updated my maps once during all that time. While my technology was a bit dated when I traded in my 2006, and that became part of the impetus for me to buy my 2013... It wasn't a major problem even on the last drive to turn it in, or one I would have sunk a bunch of money into to replace just the head unit with the rest of my RX that would have still been living back in 2006...
Old 06-12-13, 01:31 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. What I understand is that new technology has arrived, but will require total hardware replacement. For cost efficiency purpose, obviously its a no no.

There is so much that can be done on an iPhone 5 alone that it may not be worth the trade. New maps? Maybe in a year or two. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-13, 03:07 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

New maps?
On the iPhone or the RX? The newest iOS was announced this week with improved maps.
On the car, it's yearly or there about.
Old 06-12-13, 10:16 PM
NotHereMan
9th Gear

There's also an intermediate choice between new head unit and new phone: Getting a tablet
(maybe the 7" category), and a vehicle mount for it.

Some crazy people have even taken apart their dashes and replaced the original LCD with a
tablet and power supply -- wired into the car audio! Rummage around on YouTube and you can
see demos of this.

In my opinion, that's nuts, since of course it can't control all the other systems in the car.

-- Dave

Last edited by NotHereMan; 06-12-13 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add sig manually
Old 06-12-13, 11:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
On the iPhone or the RX? The newest iOS was announced this week with improved maps.
On the car, it's yearly or there about.
One of the true weaknesses of the current NAV system in the Lexus is the lack of traffic information and instantaneous map updates. When the I-5 bridge was knocked down in Washington state Google had updated its maps within hours and traffic alerts were already rerouting traffic and warning of problems. This is just not possible in the Lexus system.

With any smartphone, tablet or most GPS you can get unlimited map and traffic updates. You can replace your smartphone every couple of years and get the latest technologies and software. You really cannot do that with the Lexus system. I understand the backup camera and such can be great things to have. However, the entertainment part of the NAV system (outside of the CD player and AM/FM tuner) and actual navigation is best handed off to other equipment which does it better, IMO.
Old 06-13-13, 07:57 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

With any smartphone, tablet or most GPS you can get unlimited map and traffic updates. You can replace your smartphone every couple of years and get the latest technologies and software. You really cannot do that with the Lexus system. I understand the backup camera and such can be great things to have. However, the entertainment part of the NAV system (outside of the CD player and AM/FM tuner) and actual navigation is best handed off to other equipment which does it better, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Another good reason not to order the Navigation System in the RX.

Just wondering if the 'Display Audio Package option' screen is the same size as the one that comes with the Navigation System?
Old 06-13-13, 08:57 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought lifetime XM, and Traffic/Weather back when you could negotiate a decent deal w/o the royalty fees. Weather is so so, but traffic is pretty decent.
Originally Posted by RX330inFL
One of the true weaknesses of the current NAV system in the Lexus is the lack of traffic information and instantaneous map updates. When the I-5 bridge was knocked down in Washington state Google had updated its maps within hours and traffic alerts were already rerouting traffic and warning of problems. This is just not possible in the Lexus system.

With any smartphone, tablet or most GPS you can get unlimited map and traffic updates. You can replace your smartphone every couple of years and get the latest technologies and software. You really cannot do that with the Lexus system. I understand the backup camera and such can be great things to have. However, the entertainment part of the NAV system (outside of the CD player and AM/FM tuner) and actual navigation is best handed off to other equipment which does it better, IMO.