RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

U Haul Bike Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 07:36 AM
avilexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Haul Bike Hitch

Hi. I am thinking to have U Haul install a bike hitch on my 2011 RX350. There is no drilling required. My question is if installing the hitch affects my car warranty in any way? Lexus hitch costs about $1100 installed and U Haul hitch is about $200.

Another thing.. the U Haul installer says there is a black plastic cover underneath the car in the back that he needs to remove or cut to install the hitch. He say it is better just to remove it instead of cutting it. Does that affect the warranty? What is that plastic cover good for? just for beauty or to keep the underneath the car clean?

Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-13, 08:16 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you look underneath the back area, you'll see it. Now here's the deal, sure the U Haul is nearly nothing (in comparison), but if you don't keep it and when it's removed the cutout area will be pretty visible from the rear. If you get the factory hitch, it won't affect your warranty and they 'integrate' it into that area with templet designed cutouts that looks more normal with the hitch (always there) that will stay with the car. The cost difference is enough that you may not be thinking what it will be like three - six years down the road when you trade or sell. But that time will come so ......

For the record, ALL RX hitches are recommended for AWD only.
Originally Posted by avilexus
Hi. I am thinking to have U Haul install a bike hitch on my 2011 RX350. There is no drilling required. My question is if installing the hitch affects my car warranty in any way? Lexus hitch costs about $1100 installed and U Haul hitch is about $200.

Another thing.. the U Haul installer says there is a black plastic cover underneath the car in the back that he needs to remove or cut to install the hitch. He say it is better just to remove it instead of cutting it. Does that affect the warranty? What is that plastic cover good for? just for beauty or to keep the underneath the car clean?

Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-13, 09:40 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Please advise.

Thanks!
You need to read this thread................... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tow-hitch.html
Old 06-15-13, 01:49 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter

For the record, ALL RX hitches are recommended for AWD only.
Are you sure about that, Jim? Was my impression that if you had FWD or AWD without the Towing Package you needed to get the kit with the towing converter and not just the hitch alone. This seems to be confirmed by the verbiage on the Sewell web site:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2591.html
Old 06-15-13, 02:23 PM
Cruiter

If you read your manual, you'll find that out. Mine definitely says AWD only for tow hitch. Now it's true some are only going to put a bike rack, but if you had a tranny or cooling problem and a hitch installed you'd likely have an issue. Probably on resale as well.
Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Are you sure about that, Jim? Was my impression that if you had FWD or AWD without the Towing Package you needed to get the kit with the towing converter and not just the hitch alone. This seems to be confirmed by the verbiage on the Sewell web site:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2591.html
Old 06-15-13, 03:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

If you read your manual, you'll find that out. Mine definitely says AWD only for tow hitch. Now it's true some are only going to put a bike rack, but if you had a tranny or cooling problem and a hitch installed you'd likely have an issue. Probably on resale as well.
Perhaps something unique to your RX450h, because that is not the case for a 2010 RX350. I am sure there are quite a number of differences for things you would or would not do in a hybrid with CVT transmission versus a traditional engine and transmission setup.

This section of the RX350 Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-05.pdf

reads a lot different than the same section of the RX450h Owner's Manual:

Old 06-15-13, 06:25 PM
Cruiter

Just out of curiosity, what year manual are those links from? I did notice it in the hybrid manual on page 275 of your link. Mine is a 2010 Gen III and in your info is say's you own a Gen II. If they're both from Gen III manuals, then I stand corrected.
Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Perhaps something unique to your RX450h, because that is not the case for a 2010 RX350. I am sure there are quite a number of differences for things you would or would not do in a hybrid with CVT transmission versus a traditional engine and transmission setup.

This section of the RX350 Owner's Manual:

reads a lot different than the same section of the RX450h Owner's Manual:

Old 06-15-13, 08:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Just out of curiosity, what year manual are those links from? I did notice it in the hybrid manual on page 275 of your link. Mine is a 2010 Gen III and in your info is say's you own a Gen II. If they're both from Gen III manuals, then I stand corrected.
When I searched the Lexus Owner's Manual site I selected model year 2010 for both cases as that is what you own according to your sig. I stated in my prior post that what you had stated did not hold true for a 2010 RX350 and that was the point I was making comparing your 2010 RX450h to the same model year RX350 as to what is stated in the OM.

One can NEVER assume that what holds true for one model year holds true for another model year and the same is true when comparing a hybrid to a non-hybrid within the same model year on a number of important items especially when it comes to the drivetrains which are so very different. Is one reason why I do not rely on what it says in "my" Owner's Manual when answering questions here at CL. It is important to answer the question for the person asking as it pertains to "their" vehicle. It is very easy to go to the Lexus site and pull up the necessary information from the Owner's Manuals they have posted there for your searching needs and I always try to show my sources so readers can follow along and make their own conclusions. FWIW, prior to my original post I double checked with the 2011 MY for the RX350 which is what the OP has and what I stated still holds true.
Old 06-16-13, 06:13 AM
avilexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it void the warranty?

Thanks for your responses.

My main question is if I install the U Haul Hitch and take off the read black plastic under the car or cut it to fit the Hitch, does that void the car warranty?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-13, 07:27 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks for your responses.

My main question is if I install the U Haul Hitch and take off the read black plastic under the car or cut it to fit the Hitch, does that void the car warranty?

Thanks!
Here are the installation instructions for the OEM hitch. You will see the instructions on how to reinstall and as necessary trim these pieces (I believe you need to only trim one of the two pieces from a quick glance at the document). Unknown as to if the same would hold true for the UHaul hitch. Do not believe this would void any warranty if removed, however, I would at least hold on to them. You can reinstall what you can and see if trimming the same as OEM would work.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT22848210.pdf