RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stress Crack front windshield - 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 07:45 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear that news. Did just the dealer look at your car or was the regional rep there too? And did they show you a contact point from something hitting the windshield? If neither of the latter, I'd go to another dealer and/or contact the Corporate office with the details. Also if you have your insurance policy handy, take a look at what the coverage say's. It may mention a deductible but other than that a lot less money than you funding the whole enchilada. If it 'was' hit by something, then insurance normally would cover it.
Originally Posted by JW55
The dealer believed the crack was caused by a rock chip and therefore not covered under warranty. The cost to replace was $1900.00 and insurance refused to cover a new Lexus windshield (which i insisted on since the car is new with only a little over 1200 miles) . Ended up costing me out of pocket $1400.00.

Previously I had been driving a Mercedes ML(over 100,000 miles) and had experienced several rock chios in the front windshield. Each time i knew it happened and none of them ever caused a stress crack like the one in this new RX.

Lexus needs to monitor problems and/complaints about windshields closer.
Old 06-10-13, 08:00 PM
JW55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I improperly used the term stress crack if the crack in the windshield was caused by a small rock.
However I still hope that Lexus looks into the possibility that these windshields tend to crack too easily.
Old 06-11-13, 06:59 AM
JW55
Driver School Candidate

Both the dealer service consultant and service manager looked at the crack and said that it was caused by a rock chip. Both pointed to the same spot of presumed impact. So although I was not throughly convinced, i agreed to have the windshield replaced. I did not want to compromise any associated warranty or risk having any malfunctions in this new vehicle by using an outside source. This brings associated problems with the insurance and what they will cover. I will take your suggestion and review my policy before agreeing to anything. But until then, I have paid Lexus the total cost of repair which came to $1900.00.

There is one thing however I did not realize until after I picked up my car late last night.
New Lexus vehicles carry a 5 year warranty on windshield defects. If the windshield is replaced regardless if it is by your dealer with original part...the warranty is only 1 year.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm so sorry to hear that news. Did just the dealer look at your car or was the regional rep there too? And did they show you a contact point from something hitting the windshield? If neither of the latter, I'd go to another dealer and/or contact the Corporate office with the details. Also if you have your insurance policy handy, take a look at what the coverage say's. It may mention a deductible but other than that a lot less money than you funding the whole enchilada. If it 'was' hit by something, then insurance normally would cover it.
Old 06-11-13, 08:19 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

JW55, I'm also sorry to hear about the windshield problems.

Seems like you've had rock chip problems before on your previous MBZ. I can relate to that with an Acura Legend years ago that I ended-up replacing the windshield 4 times in less than 2 years... all caused (IMO) by stones dropped by quarry vehicles on the roads around a location I had to travel almost daily to get to a client of mine. Those !#$(* little rocks got kicked up by other vehicles on the roads, when no suspect vehicles carrying the stones were in sight. After my insurance covered the windshield the first time, I just paid for the replacement out of my own pocket the next 3 times vs. take the potential hit on any insurance increase -- even though they would have paid for it. I treated the expense as an unreimbursable cost of my employment at the time. Sighhh. Fortunately, I transferred from that office after the 4th replacement, so I never had another windshield problem.

Good luck with your insurance -- sure appears to me like it should be covered as Lexus said it wasn't a mfgr defect, and you now have the bill to prove it. If your insurance won't cover it, as you have probably already thought about, it may well be time to change the coverage or look elsewhere given your history with windshields. One thought -- my parents used to have to travel on the open highway stretches of the desert and seemed to get rock chips from the sand and gravel on the sides of the road, resulting in cracked windshields every 18 months or so. They ended up having a rider from their insurance on top of their policy that covered windshields specifically. Cost-benefit-wise, they ended-up being ahead paying for the rider every year vs the out-of-pocket expenses on the windshields every year or two... A thought perhaps for you to consider, depending on your situation.
Old 06-11-13, 09:53 AM
Nicole47
Driver School Candidate

So sorry to hear that Lexus would not cover the crack. I told them as soon as I dropped off my RX that I would not contact my insurance company until someone (expert) from Lexus looked at the car to determine the cause. I did not see any point of impact, but one person that "assessed" my car just by looking thought that something may have hit the windshield. My crack started at the base of the windshield (driver's side) and moved up and to the left - straight line. Lexus is installing a brand new windshield, but it has taken almost a week. Still waiting on the call to pick up my car.

Keep your receipts...you never know if this might become an eventual recall.
Old 06-13-13, 11:15 AM
JW55
Driver School Candidate

My dealer did a great job and so far have not encountered any problems with the replacement.

However I did want to share how the Lexus service manager at my dealership went above and beyond what anyone should ever expect from customer service.

As I mentioned before my insurance refused to approve the OEM windshield, They allowed for the lowest grade part only and once they applied the $250 comprehensive deductible, I was left with a sizeable out of pocket expense. As a customer for over 40 years with the same insurance (a high rated company) and having multiple policies (4 cars, home, & life) and never having a claim, I was resolved to take the matter up with my agent. Instead of assuring us that he would look into the situation since this was a new vehicle and then later referencing the policy with a sympathetic comment where he was sorry but there was nothing he could do because of the new terms of the policy, he argued that Lexus charges too much and accused them of "lying to customers".

Knowing these circumstances, the service manager contacted us the next day and asked for our claim number. He called the Lynx (windshield claims dept for our insurance) and when they refused to talk to him because he wasn't the insured, he arranged for a 3 way call. If they didn't answer to his satisfaction, he asked for a manager. To make a long story short....the insurance company finally agreed to cover the cost of the OEM grade windshield. But even if they hadn't, this Lexus manager did what our insurance agent should have been willing to do for us.

I can not express enough how much his time and concern meant to us.
By hiring such caring professionals, Lexus has not only made us a "satisfied customer" but eventually a repeat one as well.
Old 06-13-13, 11:42 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

JW55 -- so a happy to hear a lot a happy ending, and thank you for letting us know about the stellar job by your service manager. That's really a great example.

...and it's a shame about your insurance company, agent, etc... Bet you'll be doing some hard thinking when it comes time for renewal.
Old 06-13-13, 12:36 PM
Cruiter

Default Great Service Manager relationship

As long as I was in the business I know there are some like yours and many more that are not that customer orientated. I'd find out from a service writer what his favorite bottle is and present it at Xmas. Maybe even a personal signed snail mail letter to Lexus Corp (in the mean time) would be appropriate with the details of his help.

And maybe a copy of it to your insurance agent and his corporate office when you switch companies . FWIW, if you've ever had a military service connection or been a family member of one whom has, USAA would be a good place to start looking. Just sayin .....

That was a good wrap up to a bad situation. Glad it worked for you.
Old 06-20-13, 07:27 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs down

Hi All,

I returned to my car after work and found what looks like a huge stress crack on my windshield. No rock chips or any damage that would've caused it.

I have a 2010 RX350 that is out of basic warranty, but covered by a private extended warranty. I bought my car from a private dealer, who has offered me an OEM windshield at cost.

Do I have any options here?? This is the first time I've experienced a stress crack...very disappointed in Lexus' reliability right now esp after reading this thread.
Old 06-20-13, 08:24 AM
Cruiter

Don't be to concerned about reliability, it happened to me early on and I know it's less than one in a thousand that it's happened to. OEM at cost is not much different than just going to a Lexus shop. What's the deductible on your insurance and how does 'your' policy read for that sort of thing. Might be the best way to go. And you definitely want OEM.
Originally Posted by ericsan13
Hi All,

I returned to my car after work and found what looks like a huge stress crack on my windshield. No rock chips or any damage that would've caused it.

I have a 2010 RX350 that is out of basic warranty, but covered by a private extended warranty. I bought my car from a private dealer, who has offered me an OEM windshield at cost.

Do I have any options here?? This is the first time I've experienced a stress crack...very disappointed in Lexus' reliability right now esp after reading this thread.
Old 06-20-13, 04:17 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cost

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Hi All,

`There is a HUGE profit in Windsheids and your dealer's is probably made by as good or better vendor than Lexus...compare prices......Lexus only makes the vehicles......Think 22%..... Problem is probably INSTALLATION at the factory if their truly is a "Lexus" problem!!

Last edited by dctex99; 06-20-13 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-14-13, 11:01 AM
kxiong20
Driver School Candidate

My new 2013 Rx 350 just got this front windshield crack from driver side to passenger side for over 2 feet, it is smooth and starts from bottom of glass, there is no sign of hitting by debris or stone.

It is just suddenly appeared within 5 minutes apart, there is almost no chance to miss it when wiping out snow, it was not there..

I just called dealer to arrange an assessment next Monday, I hope it is covered under warranty. It just got first free new car check up two weeks ago.
Old 12-14-13, 03:36 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have comprehensive insurance, there is no deductible for glass replacement.
You will get an OEM glass if you car is less than 2 yrs old or under 24K miles.
If the dealer replaces the glass under warranty because of defect, it's good.
Old 12-15-13, 07:03 AM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by JW55
The dealer believed the crack was caused by a rock chip and therefore not covered under warranty. The cost to replace was $1900.00 and insurance refused to cover a new Lexus windshield (which i insisted on since the car is new with only a little over 1200 miles) . Ended up costing me out of pocket $1400.00.

Previously I had been driving a Mercedes ML(over 100,000 miles) and had experienced several rock chios in the front windshield. Each time i knew it happened and none of them ever caused a stress crack like the one in this new RX.

Lexus needs to monitor problems and/complaints about windshields closer.
Don't you have comprehensive coverage on your Lexus? You should only be paying the deductible (which may be the $1400 you mentioned).

BTW - in FL if you need a windshield replacement, and have comprehensive coverage, you do not pay the deductible. it's free (it's considered a safety item). I mention this, not to "rub it in", but for other FL drivers than may not know this.
Old 12-16-13, 06:41 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
If you have comprehensive insurance, there is no deductible for glass replacement.
You will get an OEM glass if you car is less than 2 yrs old or under 24K miles.
If the dealer replaces the glass under warranty because of defect, it's good.
You get what's written in your policy, nothing more, nothing less. A lot of policies will cover windshield replacement with no deductible. However, most policies will also NOT say 'oem replacement'.

Originally Posted by mshumack
Don't you have comprehensive coverage on your Lexus? You should only be paying the deductible (which may be the $1400 you mentioned).

BTW - in FL if you need a windshield replacement, and have comprehensive coverage, you do not pay the deductible. it's free (it's considered a safety item). I mention this, not to "rub it in", but for other FL drivers than may not know this.
FL Statute
627.7288 Comprehensive coverage; deductible not to apply to motor vehicle glass.—The deductible provisions of any policy of motor vehicle insurance, delivered or issued in this state by an authorized insurer, providing comprehensive coverage or combined additional coverage shall not be applicable to damage to the windshield of any motor vehicle covered under such policy.

Again, nothing about OEM replacement.

It costs between $200 - $400 for a replacement windshield. To think that your insurance company is going to shell out $1500 - $2000 to the dealer for OEM (with no contribution from you) is not realistic.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 12-16-13 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Stress Crack front windshield - 2013 RX 350