RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rattling sound in the glove compartment

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 11:32 AM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling sound in the glove compartment

Hello,

I have a 2011 RX350 and recently noticed rattling sound coming from inside the glove compartment.

I think it comes from the plastic cover of the aircon filter at the back of the glove compartment. This cover seems bit loose even when installed back properly and the vibration (especially when driving over uneven roads) is causing the rattling sound.

I'm not really sure why this has happened as I didn't have that problem in the first 2 years of ownership.

Has anyone experienced this problem and may I know how it was resolved? I know it's a minor problem but the rattling sound can get irritating at times. My temporary fix is to push back the heavy owner's manual on that cover to prevent vibration.
Old 05-26-13, 06:56 PM
CargoPants
Driver School Candidate

My RX glove box also rattles. But I believe my issue is the glove box door itself. Specifically, the latch mechanism inside the door is the thing that seems to rattle. When I go over sharp bumps, such as two sections of black asphalt squeezing together, or famous sloppy NY pothole repair, I hear a metallic ticking noise. I can reproduce it in my driveway if i open the glove box, and carefully hold the lid and shake it up and down as quickly as I can. I hear the ticking noise when the lid stops and changes directions, as if the car went over a bump. I spoke to the dealer twice about it, and each time they "tightened" the latch mechanism (felt strips on the contact surfaces between the glove box door and the dashboard).

Maybe this is what you are experiencing? Did you go into the glove box and explicitly hear the rattle coming from the back?
Old 05-27-13, 11:14 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I don't have a rattle coming from my glove box but my cargo area cover rattles after going over a bump. I'm sure there is a fix. I haven't changed my cabin air filter yet. I'll be careful to make sure it's not loose when I change it.
Old 05-27-13, 01:24 PM
tnguyen41
Driver School Candidate

Brought in under warranty. They took it al apart and used some spray foam behind rattling piece. Now no rattle.
Old 05-27-13, 09:31 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by jagged
Hello,

I have a 2011 RX350 and recently noticed rattling sound coming from inside the glove compartment.

I think it comes from the plastic cover of the aircon filter at the back of the glove compartment. This cover seems bit loose even when installed back properly and the vibration (especially when driving over uneven roads) is causing the rattling sound.

I'm not really sure why this has happened as I didn't have that problem in the first 2 years of ownership.

Has anyone experienced this problem and may I know how it was resolved? I know it's a minor problem but the rattling sound can get irritating at times. My temporary fix is to push back the heavy owner's manual on that cover to prevent vibration.
I just noticed the same issue today. Original thought it was from passenger side door panel. After spent an hour troubleshoot and found it is the glove box.
For some reasons, if I left the glove box door open and the rattle sounds is almost zero. Put some tapes around the latch area still not fix the issue. And then I tried to remove these heavy manuals from the glove box. And the rattle noise is all gone. I think it is due to the weight. I'm sure it is not due to the stuffs in the glove box, I have almost nothing but manuals there. I just can't figure out how and why the weight would cause the rattle sound.
Tested drive for ~20 minutes and no more noise from the glove box or passenger side door.
I guess I will keep these heavy manuals at home.