RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tint your RX yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 02:27 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slidewilly
Sorry for perhaps asking a dumb question, but are you saying the back seat and rear windows have a 20% tint? If you know, what's the tint % on the front seat windows? I'd like to darken it a little but my state limits it to no darker than 30%, and I don't know how much (if any) room that leaves for change on the front seat windows.

Can't do anything with the windshield here.
It obviously depends on a state, because different one has different rules regarding tints and also if you know cops, have a family member at service that may let you slide with darker tints. As of stock RX when it comes out of the factory, rear windows, both for the back seat and the trunk window go 20% tinted. As i know you can tint your REAR windows darker, as long as front (driver & passenger side windows) are okay, within the law. I believe everywhere throughout the USA its a law to have no darker than 35% tints on front windows, so you can freely put 35% and cops wont say anything to you. As for windshield, well that is illegal no matter what, you put 50% (mirror tints), 35%, 20%, 5% cops will still pull you over, and in NY if you have that, you also get 2 points on your license, so i would not suggest doing that unless youre military/cop or have close relative who works for police and can give you PBA card. What i would suggest is to just put 20% tints on driver and passenger side windows and thats it. It is illegal but cops wont bother you, trust me, unless you'll be driving like a complete *******, they'll pull you over and on top of other tickets will give you tints too. If you do that, then all the windows will match and you will not see the difference which looks pretty nice, because if you put 35% in front, 20% are stock in the back, and personally i looks kind of weird. Previously on sedan for the longest time i had 20% both front windows and back windows, rear windshield i had 5% tinted. Tinted front windshield with 35% but then took it off, too dark. I had no problems with police, they didnt pull me off for tints at all. Throughout having previous car was pulled off twice, once because i look suspicious and once because i deserved it, got tickets for tinted windows, i broke multiple traffic laws, but the cop was alright and instead of giving me two strict tickets + points, he gave me only 4 tickets for tints, hits a pocket a lot, but better than points and almost the same amount of cash.

So my suggestion would be just to do 20% for both front windows and leave it like that, drive normally and no one will say anything to you, unless the cop will be having a bad day, just act like you didnt know it and say it went stock. If you go any darker or tint the windshield, you might have problems and will be pulled off now and then.

aaannnndddd sorry for writing an essay
Old 05-17-13, 10:22 AM
waapples
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good tint shop in Seattle, Washington state?

Also Lynnwood, Bellevue or surrounding cities?