RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tint your RX yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 10:12 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tint your RX yet?

Anyone tinted your RX yet? How do you make the setup matching the factory tint?
Old 05-03-13, 11:34 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory windows are 20% tints, so if you put front 20% too, youll have a matching windows, all of them but windshield( unless you want to tint it too). I have standard windows in the back like they came from factory, 20% tints, put 20% on both front windows and its perfectly matches, will put 35% on windshield soon and it will look dope. However if you want to tint the rear windows over what factory gives you, then for front windows you should put 5% , then they will match.
Old 05-04-13, 01:23 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadon
Anyone tinted your RX yet? How do you make the setup matching the factory tint?
Originally Posted by Yurka
The factory windows are 20% tints, so if you put front 20% too, youll have a matching windows, all of them but windshield( unless you want to tint it too). I have standard windows in the back like they came from factory, 20% tints, put 20% on both front windows and its perfectly matches, will put 35% on windshield soon and it will look dope. However if you want to tint the rear windows over what factory gives you, then for front windows you should put 5% , then they will match.
Unfortunately, much of what you describe is illegal in CA. The rules for CA are as follows:

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Yurka, sounds like yours is illegal in NY as well.
Old 05-04-13, 01:53 AM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I didn't ask the right question. I was actually not looking for a exactly same darkness as the factory tint. Based on my research, every tint has different color tone or hue to it. The tint shops also told me that a lot of tints would not go well with the factory tint on lexus. On the other hand, I am looking for best heat rejection. Hard to pick which one to use.
Old 05-04-13, 04:37 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadon
Maybe I didn't ask the right question. I was actually not looking for a exactly same darkness as the factory tint. Based on my research, every tint has different color tone or hue to it. The tint shops also told me that a lot of tints would not go well with the factory tint on lexus. On the other hand, I am looking for best heat rejection. Hard to pick which one to use.
Look for a shop in your area which uses FormulaOne auto tint. Ask about their Pinnacle series film and what is legal in your area. Tell them your criteria and concerns.
Old 05-04-13, 11:13 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Yes legal tint limit in NY is 35%,but pretty much nobody goes with it. Usually people have 20% tints, and if youre my age, +/- few years they all got 5% all around and then do not see where they go at night( had all 6 windows 5% on my old black lexus, couldnt see anything at night, not the best idea), and yes as of right now my tints are kind of illegal, i would go darker, but not just yet, im still getting used to RX, its much bigger than the old car, so im still cautious, and i dont see no need to put darker yet, just gonna put another 20% over rear window cuz i hate when an idiot behind me goes on high beams and it blinds me and 35% front window, but thats gonna be done some time in summer only.
Old 05-04-13, 03:47 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Look for a shop in your area which uses FormulaOne auto tint. Ask about their Pinnacle series film and what is legal in your area. Tell them your criteria and concerns.
Yes, I love this tint. We have this now on 10rx350 and makes a huge difference when compared to loaner Rx's that have whatever dealer tint applied. The loaner tints look the same but definitely have more heat throughput compared to the pinnacle series we have on our on car. Occasionally have had loaners with just factory tint and you can really feel your arm heat up under sunlight in summer.
Old 05-05-13, 08:14 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Ive used LLumar film and i have 30% on the front and i also applied tint to my rear factory windows bringing my total to 5%. I love it. I have no issues seeing out at night.
Old 05-07-13, 02:54 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Had my car tinted today at a shop this morning. Wincos 30 all the way around. Huper 60 for the windshield. It's too early to say it's good or bad. Baking under the sun for a few days first. Hopefully, no bubbles or anything.
Old 05-07-13, 05:46 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Congratulations! Good thing you didn't go with the "Gangster approved" 5 %.
I used to have the same 30% all around except for the windshield when i was still in College. ( East Coast)
The 60% on your windshield..that can be a game changer.
Anyway, you can always take it off if it ever gets to dark.

Here's a suggestion to avoid the costly ticket, that is if you're still living in California.
CHP ( California Highway Patrol) WILL NOT pull you over for the those tints on your windshield, driver and front passenger side. They don't want to waste their time on you.

However, if you ever get pulled over for anything else, Speeding, suspected DUI or DWI,
This is the time when they'll add the ticket for the illegal tints.
So, be sure to have those windows down, even before the officer reach your car..and let's hope he gives you a pass.
Old 05-07-13, 07:20 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

I have to say I did go a bit too dark this time. I kind of underestimated the darkness of the factory tint. I had wincos 45 on another car which does look much lighter. The huper 60 does look lighter than other 60s.

Thanks for the suggestion. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by markrivers
^ Congratulations! Good thing you didn't go with the "Gangster approved" 5 %.
I used to have the same 30% all around except for the windshield when i was still in College. ( East Coast)
The 60% on your windshield..that can be a game changer.
Anyway, you can always take it off if it ever gets to dark.

Here's a suggestion to avoid the costly ticket, that is if you're still living in California.
CHP ( California Highway Patrol) WILL NOT pull you over for the those tints on your windshield, driver and front passenger side. They don't want to waste their time on you.

However, if you ever get pulled over for anything else, Speeding, suspected DUI or DWI,
This is the time when they'll add the ticket for the illegal tints.
So, be sure to have those windows down, even before the officer reach your car..and let's hope he gives you a pass.
Attached Thumbnails Tint your RX yet?-photo.jpg  
Old 05-09-13, 01:09 PM
jflores007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

35% on front windows
Attached Thumbnails Tint your RX yet?-lexus-after-pix-021.jpg   Tint your RX yet?-lexus-after-pix-020.jpg  
Old 05-09-13, 03:42 PM
waapples
Rookie

anyone got a picture of 20% front windows? i need to get mine tinted.
Old 05-10-13, 10:11 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by waapples
anyone got a picture of 20% front windows? i need to get mine tinted.
mine are 20% at the moment

Attached Thumbnails Tint your RX yet?-217128_4460639409168_941529065_n.jpg  
Old 05-13-13, 12:32 PM
slidewilly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yurka
The factory windows are 20% tints, so if you put front 20% too, youll have a matching windows, all of them but windshield( unless you want to tint it too).
Sorry for perhaps asking a dumb question, but are you saying the back seat and rear windows have a 20% tint? If you know, what's the tint % on the front seat windows? I'd like to darken it a little but my state limits it to no darker than 30%, and I don't know how much (if any) room that leaves for change on the front seat windows.

Can't do anything with the windshield here.

Quick Reply: Tint your RX yet?