RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Considering purchasing a 2013 350 or 450h

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 01:49 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering purchasing a 2013 350 or 450h

Hello,

I have a 2002 RX300 Coach Edition with approx 185k miles. Technically, I'm the second owner, but my wife "sold" it to me a few years ago, so it has been in the same family since purchased new.

Over the past year or so, I have experienced a few failures - the most concerning of which was a corroded tranny cooler line, which fortunately was caught before I drove too many miles (and had vehicle towed as soon as it started slipping). Fortunately, no (known) tranny damage - that was around 10k miles ago.

Anyways, overall the vehicle runs well. But as with any older vehicle, the true reliability factor / throwing good money into bad comes into play.

So its time to at least start looking - and checking posts on this forum is a good place to start.

One thing that is actually a concern to me is tire life - I've been reading threads here about the poor tire life on the 350/450h. My RX300 is on its 3rd set of tires - the original tires were the Goodyear ones, which were replaced at around 50k. The next pair was Michelin M/S, which lasted 90k (would have made it to 100k, had I not gotten an unrepairable flat), and now the M/S2. They still look new after over 40k.

From what I'm reading, most tires don't last more than 40k on the newer RX's. I realize that the rims are larger than the ones on the RX300, but only 40-50k out of a decent (and expensive) set of tires seems a bit disappointing.

Also, the newer RX's are longer than the RX300 - but it doesn't seem like it will store more more than the 300 in its rear, because of the angle of the hatch.

Has anyone here had an '01, '02, or '03 RX300 & upgraded to a 2013? What has been your experiences (both good & bad) with the newer RX? Do you regret making the move?

Also, I've been reading about the rumored NX - from the few images that I've seen, it almost seems like a "modernized" RX300. The anticipation of that model may also delay my decision...

Sorry if this post doesn't seem to make a lot of sense... just figured this would be a starting point for advice.
Old 04-26-13, 02:24 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, this is a good starting place. I had a 2003 RX300 so essentially the very same car as yours but it only had about 85,000 miles when I got rid of it for our 2010 RXh. Ours was running very well and only real reason to jump was I was in for an oil change and got the bug . I've got about 49k on him now and all my expectations so far have been met and more. Once owned, it costs considerably less to drive. Mileage went from an average of 20mpg give or take to a little over 30mpg. With no belts and longer time between oil changes plus less 'other stuff' it costs less to maintain. I'll probably go in excess of 120k on the front pads as re-generative braking makes them almost unused. As nice at the RX was when it was new, the techno level has increased so much it makes the old one seem like a Honda civic in comparison. Nothing is wrong with the one I have and don't expect any issues. I started getting the bug again when the new ES300h came out but decided to go another couple of years at least. I LIKE this car and don't regret the move up at all.

Good luck in your deliberations.
Originally Posted by DanDevoe
Hello,

I have a 2002 RX300 Coach Edition with approx 185k miles. Technically, I'm the second owner, but my wife "sold" it to me a few years ago, so it has been in the same family since purchased new.

Over the past year or so, I have experienced a few failures - the most concerning of which was a corroded tranny cooler line, which fortunately was caught before I drove too many miles (and had vehicle towed as soon as it started slipping). Fortunately, no (known) tranny damage - that was around 10k miles ago.

Anyways, overall the vehicle runs well. But as with any older vehicle, the true reliability factor / throwing good money into bad comes into play.

So its time to at least start looking - and checking posts on this forum is a good place to start.

One thing that is actually a concern to me is tire life - I've been reading threads here about the poor tire life on the 350/450h. My RX300 is on its 3rd set of tires - the original tires were the Goodyear ones, which were replaced at around 50k. The next pair was Michelin M/S, which lasted 90k (would have made it to 100k, had I not gotten an unrepairable flat), and now the M/S2. They still look new after over 40k.

From what I'm reading, most tires don't last more than 40k on the newer RX's. I realize that the rims are larger than the ones on the RX300, but only 40-50k out of a decent (and expensive) set of tires seems a bit disappointing.

Also, the newer RX's are longer than the RX300 - but it doesn't seem like it will store more more than the 300 in its rear, because of the angle of the hatch.

Has anyone here had an '01, '02, or '03 RX300 & upgraded to a 2013? What has been your experiences (both good & bad) with the newer RX? Do you regret making the move?

Also, I've been reading about the rumored NX - from the few images that I've seen, it almost seems like a "modernized" RX300. The anticipation of that model may also delay my decision...

Sorry if this post doesn't seem to make a lot of sense... just figured this would be a starting point for advice.
Old 04-26-13, 05:47 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The OEM Michelins on my '08 400h needed to be replaced at ~28K miles. No doubt the CRAPPY roads here in SE PA and my not exactly "sedate" driving style had something to do with it.

Just had the 35K service and they told me the inside of the front rotors were rusted enough that they needed turning. My vehicle sits outside 24/7 and we are definitely in "salt-land," so I took their word for it. This also necessitated new front pads as well. Kinda bummed me out because I was looking forward to NOT needing any brake work done.
Old 04-27-13, 03:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

DanDevoe. Regarding the following points.

1. Tire wear. Majority of OEM tires on the '13 RX are shod with either Dunlop Grandtrek Touring or Michelin Latitude Tour HP. The Dunlops have a poor treadwear rating of 280 and will last you 25K miles while the Michelins at 440 around 45-50K miles. You'll want to request the Michelins not just for tire wear but for smoothness, comfort, and noise supremacy. Secondly, when it's time to replace them, get a higher treadwear rated tire (as of this writing) such as the Pirelli Scorpion Verde, rated at 600. You should get around 60K or so. Some folks on this forum swear by these tires and are rated number 1 overall from real world customer feedback on TireRack.com.

2. Trunk volume overall is similar at 40 cu ft. The Gen 3 will have a slightly longer and significantly wider floor thanks to the new double-wishbone suspension but the rear glass is angled more sharply limiting tall large "boxy" items. But drop the seats and you have 80 in Gen 3 vs 75 in Gen 1.

3. I have been long awaiting the NX and in the interim have purchased two Gen 2 RXs and latest Gen 3. Love the RX but I can go for something smaller much like the original Gen 1. The new NX will be based on the 2013 RAV 4 which is about the same dimensions as the Gen 1 RX. I expect the same wheelbase and similar track and body width dimensions. However length cam be 3-5 inches shorter which can only mean a smaller trunk. This is based on spyshots and the rumor-mill that it may be sized more like a BMW X1 or upcoming Audi Q3. Not sure how I feel about going that small, but still excited... If you can wait until November this year at the Tokyo Motor show, it will be revealed in concept form to give you an idea. Or if you have more patience, March 2014 is the date the official NX will be revealed at the Geneva Motor show. I will be keeping a VERY close eye out for this since I do want the hybrid (NX 300h) and the smoothnes/quiet operation that I know will come with it if it's anything like the 07 RXh I had or the current CT I use as my daily driver. Good luck!
Old 04-27-13, 11:23 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan I went from an '01 RX300 Silversport to my '13 RX450h. I was the original owner of the '01 and drove it for about 135k miles. Overall it's a much better driving experience in the 450h for me. Whether it's around town (majority of my time in the car) or on longer road trips the '13 is so much nicer.

The one thing I can find fault with is the Dunlops on 19" wheels vs. my old Michelins on 18". In retrospect I should have insisted on a swap to Michelins to soften that difference when I made the purchase. I do like the 19" wheels and their look, it's just that them combined with the Dunlops, make ride a bit harsher than I prefer. For me though that's more than offset by the more supportive seats and all the other amenities.

Moving up to having Nav, Bluetooth, Sirius XM, and the dozens of other features that have come in over the years has made the overall ownership and driving experience much more enjoyable. LED headlights, the distinctive LED DRLs, "real" foglights, more center storage, keyless entry, remote control hatch, heads up display, blind spot monitoring, intuitive park assist, auto-adjusting seat position and retracting steering wheel etc. etc. - these are all great and a pleasure to use.

Even though the vehicle is a bit longer, its tighter turning radius makes it more nimble in parking lots in my experience.

The hybrid for me was also a great choice. I've been getting 28-30 mpg without really thinking too hard about it. That contrasts with 18-20 mpg on my '01. I love the silent start and take pleasure in hearing the low whirr of the regenerative braking knowing I am both saving on gas and helping the environment. The continuously variable transmission of the hybrid is much more pleasing to my taste as well. Plus there's that distinctive blue badge.

Hope this helps - good luck whatever your choice ends up being.
Old 04-29-13, 08:24 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your responses.

As much as I love my 2002 RX, I can feel "the bug" coming over me...

Will keep you posted if I become a new member of this community.