RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

what tire pressure have you settled on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 09:56 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

22lbs??
1) that is dangerous, dealer should know better!
2) tire sensor alarm notifications???
Old 04-22-13, 06:18 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, 22lbs each all at the same pressure. Tires always looked and felt a little soft over the last month and I figured the TPMS would alarm me if an issue was present. But it looks as though the system finds no fault with that low of a pressure for off roading or the dealer merely hit the pressure button under the dash to make the system ok with that pressure.

In either event, it's not ok. I do most of my own vehicle work in the past such as rotations and oils changes. Looks like the same will hold true here. Still love the car. I'm just not up for trips to the dealer when these things slip through the crack. So I address them myself.
Old 04-22-13, 07:22 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

My guess is.... these cars are shipped here with low tire pressure, then dealer adjusts them accordingly, in your case, I assume they simply forgot to add pressure. No excuse, it's a serious hazard at pressures that low. And excellent lesson about the tire pressure warning indicator.... when you increased pressure to 40 lbs...and were unaware of re-set "new tire pressure norm" button, it would allow pressure to hit teens before alarming - defeating entire purpose of the tire pressure alarm indicator !! System seems flawed IMO. Your attitude towards maint. is well justified, yep, even when you own a Lexus. I too have had nightmarish stories through the years with dealers / tire dealers / repair shops.

btw, when u press the re set button, does the car advise you the re set was successful?

Last edited by Dolphin; 04-22-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-22-13, 09:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There's no indication reset was successful other than dropping a tire down 7-8 lbs, drive around for 10 minutes and see if the warning light comes on. Mine came on at 31 which means the dealer put in 38 lbs when they initiaized TPMS. That's higher than I like but maybe not such a bad idea. I'd rather get the warning around 30 than 25.

For a while, I stayed with the recommended 33 lbs on the door. My SA advised taking it up to 35 to slow tire wear. She has a 3RX herself with Michelins. I've settled on 34 and go closer to 35 only during the winter. Ride quality changed for the better more so when I ditched the Dunlops for the Scorpion Verdes. The best part, I'm not adjusting the pressure every two weeks anymore. I still check them regularly though.
Old 04-22-13, 01:43 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Increased center wear with higher pressures.

As mentioned, the theory is that if you run your tires with higher than recommended pressure, the center of the tire will wear more quickly. Conversely, if you run lower than recommended, the outside edges will wear more quickly (and the tire will run hotter, yada, yada, yada).

If you want to check that yourself, get a tire tread depth gauge and check the depth of the thread across the tires every x thousand miles.

I have a 93 SC300 on which I upgraded the wheels from 15" to 16" (sounds like nothing these days) which means the factory recommendation for tire pressures wasn't quite right. I kept a spreadsheet of tire wear, I think it was every 2000 miles, and settled on the pressures that maintained even tread depth across the tires, which happened to be 32 front, 31 rear. That's what I'm using 20 years later.

I did the same thing with my wife's Honda. I guess I'm getting less **** as I age, because I just don't bother anymore, I use the factory recommendation.

When you vary from having even pressure across the tread, with either higher or lower pressures, you reduce the available traction for cornering, braking, and acceleration.

Jonas
Old 04-22-13, 07:56 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Yep, 22lbs each all at the same pressure. Tires always looked and felt a little soft over the last month and I figured the TPMS would alarm me if an issue was present. But it looks as though the system finds no fault with that low of a pressure for off roading or the dealer merely hit the pressure button under the dash to make the system ok with that pressure.

In either event, it's not ok. I do most of my own vehicle work in the past such as rotations and oils changes. Looks like the same will hold true here. Still love the car. I'm just not up for trips to the dealer when these things slip through the crack. So I address them myself.
it could be the reason your TPMS is not coming on with that low of a tire pressure is because the "threshhold" may be set lower than usual. Ask your dealer about setting the threshhold for the TPMS higher. I remember having an issue on my second gen RX where the TPMS kept coming on when the tires were fine. The dealership ended up adjusting the threshhold so that the TPMS light wouldn't come on so much or wasn't so sensitive.
Old 04-23-13, 02:27 AM
lexu1350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

32 or 33 psi tried 34 or 35 stiff ride on 18" wheels.
Old 04-23-13, 10:10 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

as an interesting side note to this thread.....
I have noticed that my nitrogen filled tires really hold their pressure MUCH better than standard compressed air. Initially I found this hard to swallow, since 80% of ambient air is nitrogen, but, its the 02 that slowly permeates its way through the rubber. Then, the water vapor in the 02 causes rust, and allows greater fluctuations in pressure with temp. changes. Nitrogen filling tanks are becoming more commonplace, and for good reason...
Old 04-23-13, 11:23 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As we move from winter into the Spring/Summer months, it will 'seem' less air leaves the tires. Most of that is due to the warmer temps. Warm air 'expands' and cold air does not . To some extent your nitrogen filled tires may hold a little better.
Originally Posted by Dolphin
as an interesting side note to this thread.....
I have noticed that my nitrogen filled tires really hold their pressure MUCH better than standard compressed air. Initially I found this hard to swallow, since 80% of ambient air is nitrogen, but, its the 02 that slowly permeates its way through the rubber. Then, the water vapor in the 02 causes rust, and allows greater fluctuations in pressure with temp. changes. Nitrogen filling tanks are becoming more commonplace, and for good reason...
Old 06-02-13, 09:33 PM
seanlin
Rookie

I have my 19 inch running at 35 cold all around. It gets ~39 while warm. It is a little bit stiff ride but I guess it is probably normal for 19 inch wheel.
Old 06-03-13, 08:44 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually run mine at 30-32 psi just barely above the warning light setting. I took the car in the other day to have the tires rotated and they came back with 34-35 psi. Boy did I notice a difference in the ride quality, took them right back down, back to a smooth ride. I don't seem to have any irregular wear on the tires and I do monitor that.
Old 06-03-13, 10:04 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I usually run mine at 30-32 psi just barely above the warning light setting. I took the car in the other day to have the tires rotated and they came back with 34-35 psi. Boy did I notice a difference in the ride quality, took them right back down, back to a smooth ride. I don't seem to have any irregular wear on the tires and I do monitor that.
Thanks for the info. What is the door sticker recommend tire pressure?

Mine is 35/33. I would probably give 31PSI a try since so many people recommend to run in low.
Old 06-03-13, 12:53 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is at 35. I intend to leave it at that.
Old 06-04-13, 12:47 PM
atang1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine set at 33psi with no issues!
Old 06-06-13, 08:29 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

35psi for me! Love it.

Quick Reply: what tire pressure have you settled on?