RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What is the must have options for RX 450H

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 03:43 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the must have options for RX 450H

What are the must have options to order a 2013 RX450H?

Of course I'd love to have them all if money is not the concern. However it is, but I dont mind to throw in a little bit more. Better to have than sorry later.

AWD?
Sports Appearance for F sport look?
Navi with backup camera
Comfort package
Premium Package or
Premium Package with blind sport monitor?

Anything else?

Thanks
Old 04-17-13, 05:10 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark Levinson.
Old 04-17-13, 05:16 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
Mark Levinson.
Really? Is it really like a wow option?
Old 04-17-13, 05:51 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlin
Nope helps during resale though because ML is very rare in RX''s...
Old 04-17-13, 06:29 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

If you're a big techie, the nav and remote touch is a must simply for the interface to most of the vehicles settings and functions, including the hybrid data. Sure, the non-nav is probably just as functional outside of the actual nav function (maybe even easier for a non-techie), but its too ordinary for me.

The one option I don't have, but would really like, the power folding mirrors.
Old 04-17-13, 06:46 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I like to have head-up-display, but not sure I'd give up LED headlights.

LED low-beam headlamps with dynamic auto-leveling, Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) intelligent high-beam headlamps and headlamp washers.
Navigation and remote touch are a must for me.

Remote start

AWD
Old 04-17-13, 07:26 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Thanks everyone.

My configuration is:

Must have:
Premium Package
Navi Package
Comfort Package (include HID)

Quiestionable:
Blind Spot monitor
Sport Appearance PKG

For people have blind spot monitor, is it useful?
Also how about F-Sport look font grill?

Thanks
Old 04-17-13, 09:24 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlin
Stock RX don't normally have it. And if you're doing built to order, then i consider it as part of my check list
Old 04-17-13, 11:06 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

450h's in CA come in only a few configurations ... you should become familiar with these configurations. The bottom line is that most (all) 450h come with many options and there are only a very few decisions to make.

Here is how I would prioritize the options that are on mine:

1. HID headlights - must have ... best lights available on 450h.
2. Audio upgrade - 12 speaker or whatever system ... don't go below this level.
3. Backup camera - must have... there is no rear visibility.
3. NAV - a rip off, but at this level get it. Just know your state of the art smartphone will seriously outperform it.
4. Proximity sensors - useful for me, maybe not for everyone.
5. 19" wheels - look nice and isn't that what these cars are about.
6. Wood steering wheel - I like it.

Get premium and comfort packages with blind spot.

#1 ... top of the list ... most critical option that no one will tell you about ... Michelin tires. These cars come with Dunlops, Bridgestone and Michelin tires. If you buy one with Dunlops, you just wasted $1,000 and are going to have a crappy experience for the first few years you own the vehicle.

Generally, get all of the options you can afford ... don't worry, there are only about two configurations and if you are worrying about $500 options it may not be the best car for you because it is just not that great a value overall. I have a FWD model ... AWD is useless in CA. You are just going to be carrying around a couple hundred pounds of inactive rear electric motors (unless you plan on towing, in which case AWD is the only ticket in town).

Last edited by UCSB; 04-17-13 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 03:26 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Absolutely! For me at least, I would not want or like the basic system.

#1 ... top of the list ... most critical option that no one will tell you about ... Michelin tires. These cars come with Dunlops, Bridgestone and Michelin tires. If you buy one with Dunlops, you just wasted $1,000 and are going to have a crappy experience for the first few years you own the vehicle.
Could not agree more. I hate Dunlops.

On the loaners I've driven, I like the blind-spot monitor.

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-18-13 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 05:13 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must have on a Hybrid = Heated steering wheel......

Anyways, most of the hybrid come packed, so you can either go with Blindspot, or no Blindspot, remote start or not. There wont be a non navigated Fsport or Hybrid on the lot, unless you do dealer trade, or special order. With those, you can not have a good deal. They are not willing to work up a free work for you. They are more likely to give you discount to move their car on the lot.

I am not a fan of HUD, BSM, Prox sensor, or glass breakage sensor

I find the back up camera more useful, and the navigation on the iphone is better.

I like the premium 12 speakers system too. Very good sounds. I am not an audiophile, but i love music, and have come accross diiferent high-end headphones, stereo system. The one thing i want to tell you = do not test a sound system using MP3. Aleast loss-less or original CD. Otherwise you had just wasted a good system

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-18-13 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 05:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Personally, I went with the least-equipped RX450h I could find. That means it was pretty much loaded. Unless custom-ordered, not a single 450h comes off the boat without Nav and other optional features, that are really standard. I believe Blind Spot Monitor is now standard, which increased the base price slightly.
AWD is a must. If anything, it will help with smooth regenerative braking. Rear motor gets engaged during hard cornering to mask some of FWD tendencies to oversteer. Same goes during hard acceleration. Can be verified via fuel economy animation.
The 12-speaker audio system had surpassed my expectations. It is really good, especially in home theater mode, when playing DVDs. I would not buy ML.
I also didn't care for LED headlights, as they are not as bright as HIDs, so I saw no real benefit in having them. OEM Remote start is barely useful and can be added later on. About $220 for the unit itself.

Shop around. You will find most RX450h on the lot to be very similarly equipped.

Last edited by vlad_a; 04-18-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 08:29 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by UCSB
450h's in CA come in only a few configurations ... you should become familiar with these configurations. The bottom line is that most (all) 450h come with many options and there are only a very few decisions to make.

Here is how I would prioritize the options that are on mine:

1. HID headlights - must have ... best lights available on 450h.
3. Backup camera - must have... there is no rear visibility.
3. NAV - a rip off, but at this level get it. Just know your state of the art smartphone will seriously outperform it.
4. Proximity sensors - useful for me, maybe not for everyone.
5. 19" wheels - look nice and isn't that what these cars are about.
6. Wood steering wheel - I like it.

Get premium and comfort packages with blind spot.

Generally, get all of the options you can afford ... don't worry, there are only about two configurations and if you are worrying about $500 options it may not be the best car for you because it is just not that great a value overall. I have a FWD model ... AWD is useless in CA. You are just going to be carrying around a couple hundred pounds of inactive rear electric motors (unless you plan on towing, in which case AWD is the only ticket in town).
Yeah. Premium w/blind spot + comfort + Navi + premium audio is what I have in my list for now.
It ends ~$57500 - $58100 in most of dealer's inventory.

I wasn't aware they comes with different tires. And yes, I do have bad expensive with Dunlop runflat tires before. I like Michelin/Bridgestore/GoodYear. Hopefully, i will be able to find a car comes with these tires.
Old 04-18-13, 09:35 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Using my zip code to build a '12 RXh there are eight packages available of a menu of 37 items. When done shopping, the summary indicates whether Comfort and/or Premium is what you've chosen. The packages range in price for $7,900 to $14,175 to which you can add "Accessories". Cargo net, glass break, remote start, ashtray, etc, etc.

Is that how all the different zip codes work?

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-18-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 10:11 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're using Lexus.com to configure your vehicle, don't bother. It's completely useless. It does not represent real builds or what's available.

Quick Reply: What is the must have options for RX 450H