RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 05:34 AM
longlexus3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

Could someone briefly let me know the steps in changing the oil on an RX350 (2012 model) and identify what parts could possibly be damaged in the process? Is it an easy process? Thanks.
Old 04-14-13, 05:47 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...as i have followed hour other thread. Oil changing process should be in your manual book. Basically

1/ drain the oil out from underneath engine
2/ remove oil filter
3/ install newer oil filter
4/ use 0w-20 as recommended in the manual book
5/ use the funel to guide the oil into the engine
6/ close the oil hole with a cap. Finished

Extra: checking ball joints, and other lubable parts to see if you need lub, for example door hinges..etc

What could damage your vehicle during an oil change

1/ the use of wrong visconsity oil, not recommended by manual book, or manufaturer
2/ excessive ammount of oil was used for your engine
3/ foreign objects entered your engine through the oil change process

***any reasons above*** can completey damage your entire engine. Prematurely hydraulically locked will bend your actuator, valves, and sieze your engine from running, or bend everything. Foreign objects if entered your engine will damage actuators, cam shafts, valves, and possibly cylinders

If you ended up replacing valve cover, cam shafts, and valves, it is called "engine head" you are looking into possibly 5,000 in parts, and 5,000 in labor for a grand total of 10,000 ... More or less
I can tell you one thing for sure, guiding the funel into the hole to pour oil into your engine will never damage your engine.....unless.....the funel broke off, and dropped inside the engine.

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-14-13 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-14-13, 06:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

If you have any concerns about damage during an oil change, I'd recommend taking your RX to a Toyota dealer instead. It'll be cheaper than Lexus and maybe even equal to the cost of parts. I know some people like to DIY but it's your next best option to alleviate any potential issues.
Old 04-14-13, 09:06 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue as I've done mine on other cars before is overfilling. Getting debris in there would take something stupid on your part or doing the change in an environment that is windy and allows stuff to "somehow" get into the top where you're pouring the oil. Aside from this, it should be a relatively easy process. I'm probably going to do this myself as well on my car as I "know" it was done correctly and I feel that the less you take it in to the dealership, the less likely "things" will happen to the car. Plus I also enjoy the DIY feel of things.
Old 04-15-13, 06:28 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I changed it in mine and it was almost as straightforward as any other vehicle I owned.
The tricky part was the oil filter. It is very easily accessible, but may require a special wrench to remove if it gets stuck. There's also a plug on the bottom of the filter housing. Once that plug is removed, a plastic adapter may be screwed-in to drain oil from the filter prior to removing it (hence why replacement filters are so expensive, as they include this part). I only realized that after I removed the filter housing. No big deal there.

I did look under the oil cap yesterday to see if anything could be damaged. Indeed, there is a baffle, but I don't see how one could damage it by sticking in a funnel (unless one really tried). If that was the case, that would be a huge problem across the board for many Toyota vehicles running 2GR-FE engine. That would mean no Sienna or Camry could be taken to a fast oil change place.
Old 04-16-13, 05:34 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

If you have never changed oil before I would not start learning on this vehicle. It has a internal oil filter cartridge which is more difficult to access and change than your typical spin on/spin off oil filter. You do need a special wrench to get it off. You should be careful and follow the directions with the new filter with regards to taking the cartridge housing apart and replacing the rubber gaskets etc. You would probably benefit from watching someone else do it the first time. Having said that, it is not difficult and the same style filter is on every Toyota & Lexus product. You can probably find Youtube videos that demonstrate the procedure. here is a link to another model that is almost the same: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...re-w-pics.html

This is the oil filter wrench you need:
Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus : Amazon.com : Automotive Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-16-13 at 06:07 AM. Reason: link
Old 04-16-13, 08:09 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it an easy process?

Relatively easy process as long as you can contain the old oil & don't mind getting a bit dirty.

Keep distractions to a minimum !!

Brought home my then 1 year old F150 3 years ago. Left it at a local shop overnight for grease/oil & rotate the tires.
Tires rotated & grease parts were OK. The oil part got a little interesting. Mechanic drained it, installed the new filter & sent it home.
Old 04-16-13, 08:42 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

In case anyone missed the original issue OP is dealing with, here's the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...il-change.html
Old 04-16-13, 02:01 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Thank you. I will be a lot more careful on the next oil change to get the proper funnel and not damage the piece inside the filler hole. I never thought about the possibility of causing damage in this manner! Is there a Toyota/Lexus specific funnel that fits the engine valve cover threads?
Old 04-17-13, 10:55 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Thank you. I will be a lot more careful on the next oil change to get the proper funnel and not damage the piece inside the filler hole. I never thought about the possibility of causing damage in this manner! Is there a Toyota/Lexus specific funnel that fits the engine valve cover threads?
I would just stay away from long tipped funnels. Those are for small engines like lawnmowers, not for automotive. I have been using a wide mouth short funnel (similar to the one linked below) for years and have never encountered such a problem, nor do I think it's even possible.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0027&ppt=C0166

Note: Ignore that it is listed as a radiator funnel.
Old 04-17-13, 02:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

How about a paper funnel? You know those paper funnel shaped cups attached to many a water cooler? Snip off the end and you are set to go. They go for about $4 per 200 count package at places like Walmart.
Old 04-17-13, 02:38 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An engine as easily damage as that ? This has never been mentioned in the DIY section in the Manual Book either.

Last edited by Cruiter; 04-18-13 at 04:56 AM. Reason: inappropriate
Old 04-17-13, 07:31 PM
Hiroslamme
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Threaded oil funnel

I change my own oil and use a funnel that is threaded at the end and can be screwed on where the oil cap goes. You can get a high end from Snap-on or Matco just like the Toyota mechs use, or get one at Napa for $6 bucks, even Wal-mart has the clear funnel that would fit.
Old 04-17-13, 09:49 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Assenmacher makes a number of threaded funnels for specific fit needs. However, they can be pricey and if you are not using it daily it can be a waste. Paper has never let me down and if you are not in a rush there is no mess. Have not seen the NAPA $6 edition to comment on that.
Old 04-18-13, 12:40 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Lexus dealer offers synthetic oil change specials for $79 with tire rotation and multipoint check. Build some contacts at your Lexus dealership and see if they will email you these kinds of specials (if they have similar offers). DIY doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

Quick Reply: Oil Change