RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 Rx350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 08:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Cool pictures rayaans. But it would be nice to see something other than the 450h F-Sport that we can't get here. It's like rubbing salt in the wounds
Old 06-07-13, 05:17 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry! Cant really post pictures of the RX350 because we dont get them here!
Old 06-08-13, 12:15 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Pricing is still the same and red leather is a no cost option. Dealer said the 2015 model year will get the FLAXEN interior as a no cost option and said STARFIRE PEARL will no longer be available on the RX F SPORT. He said ULTRA WHITE will be the only white available on F SPORT models. He finished off by saying "expect a full redesign in JUNE 2015, so basically, 2016 model year.
picture wise it looks the same, but did they enhance the damper system on the f-sport? that is the question i have. did they happen to take notes from how the f-sport on the new gen 2014IS behaves?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-13, 01:30 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Pricing is still the same and red leather is a no cost option. Dealer said the 2015 model year will get the FLAXEN interior as a no cost option and said STARFIRE PEARL will no longer be available on the RX F SPORT. He said ULTRA WHITE will be the only white available on F SPORT models. He finished off by saying "expect a full redesign in JUNE 2015, so basically, 2016 model year.
Thanks Rayaans. 2 Years from now hmmm. I wonder if they make the next gen look better, or the same as how bad the Present Camry look vs the Last gen Camry
Old 06-08-13, 04:44 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Thanks Rayaans. 2 Years from now hmmm. I wonder if they make the next gen look better, or the same as how bad the Present Camry look vs the Last gen Camry
Dealer said he is expecting the size to remain the same, only a few additions. He also said no third row but he doesnt know for sure. Believe it or not, I asked "so will it look as good as mine or are Lexus going to stop DESIGNING vehicles again" and he said that Lexus are becoming more interested in design and as the 2016 MY will be from the bottom up, new powertrain and everything, itll look amazing. Dont really know how reliable he is but looking at the IS and GS, im sure the next gen RX will be amazing. He went on to say that the 2013 MY revisions were basically to incorporate the spindle grill into the whole line up and keep buyers interested as the interest was plummeting for the RX as the old shape was 3 years old having been in production since 2009. He said Lexus is beginning to move away from the POSH toyota image and wants to establish themselves as a proper independent brand so expect some major tech and design in the next gen RX.

I mentioned NX and he shut up completely, dont know if that means anything.

Also, no revisions on the damper system for 2014 MY. The dealer said it was proving quite popular in the UK for the styling alone and younger customers preferred the tighter feel to the RX F Sport.
Old 06-08-13, 06:13 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope we see a lot of the new colorful LED electronics in the instrumentation and throughout the dash and control systems. Some photos have teased with that type of changeover. I think we might see a lot of the new aircraft type glass panels in the dash.
Old 07-05-13, 07:21 AM
goodgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had time to play with would you get the 2013 RX350 or wait 2 years for the next generation? I usually keep my cars 3-4 years. Would regret buying now only to find out next year is the redesign year!
Old 07-05-13, 11:44 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Id go for the 2013 now. Redesign is definitely in around 2015 actual year.
Old 07-18-13, 12:52 AM
dbluchtefe
Driver School Candidate

Default Wait.

Unless the current size RX is exactly what you want, I would wait.
They already trademarked the NX, which is expected to be a smaller crossover, I think.

The GX is being discontinued, it didn't sell well.
The RX is being bumped up from the camry chassis to the Avalon chassis and will have a 3rd row seat available. This will help keep those returning for a new RX, (more kids, and/or kids are bigger) as well as capture all the people who thought the RX was too small and GX too big.
usually used car values drop after a major change, so lease value won't be optimum now, 3 year lease means they will be bringing back in a car that is the "old" body style.
Resale will also be lower if you have a newer car that is the "old" body style.
I thought the new platform RX was going to be the 2014 one. the current one isn't that different from the last years, and Toyota is capable of doing a whole new vehicle in under 18 months from start of concept to launch. So if they *want* to do the new one in 2014 I'd say it would be well within their capability.

I would suggest, wait until the 2014's are on the lot (or if it's been pushed to 2015, then wait until then) and either get a great deal *then* on the old model, or get a great lease deal (future value will be high if it will still be same model basically, which should make payment better). Of course, bigger will mean the price goes up I expect.

I'm eager to see the smaller crossover, which is mainly a price-driven decision. I like the RX exactly the size it is now, but I'd really like something that gets into the 30s on mpg

I expect the dealer will say the next year will be the same so he can hope to sell a current model one before anyone sees the new ones.
Also, to see what kind of deals people have gotten on leases and purchases, google edmunds, there are tons of people who got really amazing deals by negotiating on email and phone and refusing to show up at a lot for a test drive until the price was right. Really interesting approach.
Old 07-18-13, 10:55 AM
jcoe
Driver School Candidate

How about the RX270? Why don’t they import into USA? Apparently similar to RX350 with FWD and smaller engine that provides better gas mileage, a common complaint for RX350.
Old 07-18-13, 11:37 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoe
How about the RX270? Why don’t they import into USA? Apparently similar to RX350 with FWD and smaller engine that provides better gas mileage, a common complaint for RX350.
Because it would eat into the sales of the RX450h and possibly because there is a demand for more power, not less. RX is already relatively slow when compared to its peers (Q5, X5, etc).
Old 07-18-13, 11:51 AM
ericsan13
Racer

It should also be noted that Lexus is planning to introduce a 2.0T engine as well as a 2.5L hybrid engine that will suffix models with 300h. But all is speculation.

It does make sense though since Toyota needs to refresh their aging engine lineup. 200t for low-end, 300h for mid, 450h for high end.

nx300h:
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/11/0...act-crossover/

2.0T
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/10/0...ngine-in-2014/

Last edited by ericsan13; 07-18-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 07:27 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I never heard of the RX270. If Lexus already has this compact Cuv or smaller RX350 what is taking so long for it come to the US? Waiting on new engines?

I don't think more power will be the driving force when $4-5 a Gallon gasoline comes. AAA just stated that $3 gas was a thing of the past. MPG's will rule sales in the future. Get the NX model out!
Old 07-19-13, 12:38 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I never heard of the RX270. If Lexus already has this compact Cuv or smaller RX350 what is taking so long for it come to the US? Waiting on new engines?

I don't think more power will be the driving force when $4-5 a Gallon gasoline comes. AAA just stated that $3 gas was a thing of the past. MPG's will rule sales in the future. Get the NX model out!
Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This car is all over asia and it is not a smaller RX, it is an RX with a smaller engine.

The purpose of more powerful engines is that RX lags compared to it's peers. That's why they are planning to introduce the 2.0T which gets better mileage without sacrificing power.
Old 07-19-13, 02:13 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This car is all over asia and it is not a smaller RX, it is an RX with a smaller engine.

The purpose of more powerful engines is that RX lags compared to it's peers. That's why they are planning to introduce the 2.0T which gets better mileage without sacrificing power.
Thanks for the clarification. I just googled the 270 and it got a glowing review. I would have thought a 4 cyl in the Rx would be a dog, but apparently 2.7l 4cyl performs well..

It's too bad Lexus doesn't offer US buyers the option of a 4 cyl RX270. If it had I probably would have bought one instead of the 350. I suppose that is what Lexus is afraid of.

Quick Reply: 2014 Rx350 ?