RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bike rack for 3RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 08:32 PM
Dong99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rack for 3RX (merged threads)

New owner here - just bought a RX 350 AWD a few weeks ago, love the car!

Would you guy recommend a bike rack for RX to hold to two mountain bikes with those thick frame? Do not want to get scratches on the RX so security is the most important factor here.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-10, 10:55 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can think of right now is installing a towing hitch and a bike rack hitch mount
Old 11-30-10, 06:09 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly recommend getting a hitch mount platform bicycle rack such as Thule, Yakima, or Saris. Easy on-off for the bikes, they are locked when in place/traveling, and can swing away for entrance into the rear of the RX. I have a Thule which works great.
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...16XT%20T2.aspx
Old 11-30-10, 09:18 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JimH2
I highly recommend getting a hitch mount platform bicycle rack such as Thule, Yakima, or Saris. Easy on-off for the bikes, they are locked when in place/traveling, and can swing away for entrance into the rear of the RX. I have a Thule which works great.
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...16XT%20T2.aspx
Agreed on the hitch mount rack, I liked it much better than the top rail ones.
Old 12-02-10, 05:09 PM
Dong99
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

Thanks! I am wondering if there is anything good like those strap on type? No sure a hitch is my cup of tea, not to mention it will add 50lb to the vehicle...
Old 12-27-10, 03:05 PM
timfou
Driver School Candidate

Without a doubt, a hitch mounted rack is the way to go. I just had a Curt hitch installed on my RX400h and bought the Thule 4-bike swing-away hitch rack that was recommended to me at this social shopping site.

I love that the thing swings out to the way to allow me to access my rear hatch even when I have two adult and two kid bikes secured to it. It was a bit pricey, but it is very well built and should last a long time. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 12-27-10, 10:34 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dong99
Thanks! I am wondering if there is anything good like those strap on type? No sure a hitch is my cup of tea, not to mention it will add 50lb to the vehicle...

The problem with the strap on types is they look like hell, and with the spoiler on the back window I'm not
sure how well they would work on the RX. 50 lbs added weight of the hitch isn't going to mean anything to driveability or mileage of a vehicle that weighs 4,500 lbs.
Old 12-28-10, 04:40 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think you can mount the strap-on types without destroying the spoiler. initial cost may be more to have hitch and hitch-mount bike carrier but it will be safer and definitely more secure.
Old 12-28-10, 05:24 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

I had a local hitch dealer install a 2" (Draw-Tite) receiver (cost me ~$250), and I use a Saris Thelma platform rack. It's lighter weight than most others, but holds our Giant and Cannondale flat-bar road bikes secure, with no marring of the frames. Unlike the swing-arm Thule, you don't have hatch access when the bikes are loaded, but you can always fold down the rear seat for access. My only issue is that the Intuitive Parking Assist senses the rack when in reverse, so I have to disable it when the rack is on (which is most of the time).
Old 04-01-11, 07:55 PM
Dong99
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys! I ordered a Curt hitch and it came it today. Plan to install it tomorrow. One question: which side of the "conical toothed washer" should face the bolt? I would assume it should be the smooth side, not the toothed side, right?
Thanks again!
Old 04-14-11, 10:38 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Smile

Thank you guys! I ordered a Curt hitch and it came it today. Plan to install it tomorrow. One question: which side of the "conical toothed washer" should face the bolt? I would assume it should be the smooth side, not the toothed side, right?
Thanks again!
I am in the same boat. Want some type of bike racks on my RX but not sure what to get. It seems like everyone recommend the Curt hitch. Based on some discussions on CL community here it should not be that hard to install. I have not had experience install this type of hardware on any car ever. I hope if I will decide to get the trailer hitch I can do as a good job as everyone on this community.

Questions: Where did you get your Curt hitch? Did you also get the bike rack from same place that you get your hitch?

Please let us know how it turns out after the install. Some pictures will be appreciated include the bike rack.

Old 04-14-11, 12:21 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
Does anyone have the instruction for the installation of a Curt hitch on a RX450h?
Try this: http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=13541

Last edited by timlrx11; 04-14-11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 02:50 PM
Boykster21
Driver School Candidate

Not to beat a dead horse, but hitch mount bike racks are the way to go! I have a Yakima model on my RX and it's great.
Old 04-15-11, 06:20 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
Thz timlor, it doesnt look too hard to do, maybe a one hour job, but cutting up the bumper cover might be painful
You are welcome. Using the right tools it should not be too hard.
Old 08-20-11, 06:05 PM
Jenster347
Driver School Candidate

Question: where do you find a local "hitch" dealer?

Quick Reply: Bike rack for 3RX (merged threads)