RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Active Steering Lock Error Message

Old 03-20-13, 07:42 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Active Steering Lock Error Message

Several times per week when I atttempt to start my RX it fails to do so. The steering wheel moves into place as if the engine is going to start, but then ..... nothing. I then get the error message display that says "active steering lock". So I turn the steeing wheel to unlock it and then it starts. My question is, do others have this same issue? It's not a huge deal, since the car does eventually start. But since it happens several times every week, it's annoying. I've tried to figure out if there is a certain condition that's causing this, but I can't determine that there is. Do any of you have an experience like this?

Thanks
Old 03-20-13, 07:47 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Shooting in the dark here, but it sounds as if you're maybe trying to start on occasion without your foot on the brake. If there's any wheel & tire pressure at all on the steering that could cause it.
Originally Posted by MDames2
Several times per week when I atttempt to start my RX it fails to do so. The steering wheel moves into place as if the engine is going to start, but then ..... nothing. I then get the error message display that says "active steering lock". So I turn the steeing wheel to unlock it and then it starts. My question is, do others have this same issue? It's not a huge deal, since the car does eventually start. But since it happens several times every week, it's annoying. I've tried to figure out if there is a certain condition that's causing this, but I can't determine that there is. Do any of you have an experience like this?

Thanks
Old 03-20-13, 08:51 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I think that message means there is pressure on the steering wheel lock, so it can't disengage unless you wiggle the steering wheel to release the pressure. Do you often park with the steering wheel turned sharply, or perhaps use the steering wheel as a handle to help get in and out of the car (causing the wheel to lock)?
Old 03-21-13, 07:22 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. There is no apparent pressure on the steering wheel when I park it. I don't turn in the wheels or park on an incline and into a curb, nothing like that. I do have my foot on the brake (fully) to start it. The only thing I can think of is that after I shut off the car, open the driver's door, and hear the slight buzzing noise that locks the wheel, I give the steering wheel a very slight tug to ensure it's locked. I do this every time I get out of the car. But the error message only happens occasionally. I guess this is not a problem shared by others. I'll have it checked out when I take it in for my next service at the dealership. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-13, 07:28 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Can you try not turning to steering wheel to lock it after you leave the car? That's probably why it fails to unlock itself at times.
Old 03-21-13, 10:08 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Very likely.

I remember back in the days of manual steering locks, on some cars a good prank was to really crank the steering wheel to lock it. There was so much pressure on the wheel lock, you could not turn the key to start (because the key lock was connected to the steering lock). No start, no power steering, so you'd have to put all your weight into the steering wheel with one hand while turning the key with the other. Fun it was not.

Needless to say I avoid locking the wheel, the little electric bzzzz sounds too delicate a flower for me.
Old 10-12-21, 03:38 PM
Wstrnflyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 IS 250 had an S/T lock warning come on while driving. Still runs and steers. I checked when parked. The wheel no longer locked. Any ideas. Thanks.