RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?

Old 03-21-13, 11:55 PM
carrwash13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ended up getting it for $34k off the lot. Nice car and in perfect shape. Dealership was awesome to deal with too.
Old 03-22-13, 05:29 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

Like my dad always says....everything is negotiable and be ready to walk away. You have the cash, and they want it. If they wont negotiate, find another dealer/seller that will.

I bought my CPO '10 RX350 UltraPremium in the fall last year adn negotiated the hell out of it. Kinda like a sport for me now, and this gets my wife cringging(?). But in the end I was able to get the price I wanted and drove away with it...of course I also had a trade in (Honda Odysssey) and got the remote starter (that was negotiated as well).

Good luck!
Old 04-04-13, 02:48 AM
Barrett50
Driver School Candidate

NADA and Kelly Blue Book are OK but slanted more to the dealers. Edmunds.com has numbers that are more realistic. Have used Edmunds for new and pre-owned. Most dealers use the Black Book for trade valuation although there is a new internet service for dealers that is updated daily for trade and pricing(area specific).
Old 04-10-13, 12:19 PM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Noob here from nothern NJ. I'm in the market for a 2010 CPO and the car I looked at yesterday had 39k miles with NAV, Sunroof, new Michelin tires (starfire pearl white). It was priced at $32k, which according to my friend who buys all kinds of cars at auction for his cadillac dealership is a fairly competitive price. Some dealerships in NJ won't replace tires for CPOs but this particular place does for all their CPOs.

After the test drive, we talked for a bit and I told him I'm not going to beat around the bush, $31k and I'm a buyer today. He quickly goes to the manager to discuss. Comes back and stands firm at $32k and tells me that they have absolutley zero room to negotiate. I collect my things and leave. I figured they would call back to counter but I haven't heard a peep. Is this the norm or do you think it really was rockbottom pricing? This car just came on the market on 4/5 so I know it hasn't been sitting.

I'm going to go try another dealership in Northern NJ to see if they're willing to deal but based on this experience I may need to pay full price.
Old 04-10-13, 05:35 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, JPJump. On the positive side at least we have quite a few dealers to choose from in NJ. They're better the further south you go, at least from my experience. The RX you were looking at was pretty new to the lot. Probably one reason they didn't want to let it go at a lower price. It might be another story by the end of the month. Your best bet would be to go online with a few dealers, tell them what you're looking for and the price you want to pay. Then let them come to you. Good luck.
Old 04-10-13, 10:19 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome to CL, JPJump. On the positive side at least we have quite a few dealers to choose from in NJ. They're better the further south you go, at least from my experience. The RX you were looking at was pretty new to the lot. Probably one reason they didn't want to let it go at a lower price. It might be another story by the end of the month. Your best bet would be to go online with a few dealers, tell them what you're looking for and the price you want to pay. Then let them come to you. Good luck.
You may even go back to the same dealer, only through their online contact. Tell them you saw it online and make them the same offer or even $30K and see what they say.

They may have figured there was no way you would walk over such a small amount. The "there's no room" line is one of the oldest in the book. There's always room, especially a car that's been on the lot for five or six days.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-11-13, 06:13 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice Anita and ecr72. I saw 4 more CPOs pop up all around $32k (26k to 37k miles - all with NAV) so I'm going to try what you suggested and contact dealers via online.
Old 04-12-13, 05:06 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

So I go to the Lexus in Englewood, NJ and test drive the CPO RX. First thing I notice is that the rear tires are pretty worn. I ask the salesman if the car has HID lights and he says it does. After the test drive I flick the lights on to check because he seemed like he had no clue and sure enough it's the regular halogen. I also tell him that the price I saw on the internet was $32k and he says "really?"...

We go inside to talk numbers and he verifies that it's listed for $32k but that doesn't include the CPO certification and prep fee. The price on this car is $35,200. He says the internet price is just to get people in the door. I start getting very annoyed and raised my voice to make sure other customers can hear me and I said "so you list that price on the internet just to get people in and make no mention of this cert and prep fee yet you list it as a CPO??!! Why are you wasting my time? That's called BAIT & SWITCH!".

The sales guy tries to calm me down and gets his manager. The manager says we'll give it to you for $32k. I said I don't want it for $32k. You got 2 crap tires, no HID and the interior isn't clean.... I can go to another dealer that has 4 new tires, cleaner interior with HID lights. He says we'll give you the new tires but we need to have $32k. I said to him why would I pay the same price for less? The conversation ended there and I walked out.

Good times. Will keep looking.

Last edited by JPJump; 04-12-13 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 07:08 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JPJump, just keep looking... I'm sure you will find what you're looking for... I found mine at Lexus of Manhattan... those guys level with me and I got a deal I couldn't refuse.
Old 04-12-13, 08:27 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I'll keep them in mind. Lexus of Englewood just left me a VM to see if we can renegotiate...
Old 04-12-13, 08:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

JPJump, that's why I don't even bother with dealers in northern NJ. Horrible If you head south, even to central NJ, it's a whole different story. They don't play those kind of games. But go online and contact the dealer that way. It'll be a lot less frustrating.

BTW, there's two ways to figure out if an RX has halogen or HIDs. HIDs came with the comfort package. If the RX doesn't have it, it means it has halogens. And take a look at these pictures from this thread. First is halogen, second is HID.
Attached Thumbnails How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?-halogen.jpg   How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?-hid.jpg  

Last edited by kitlz; 04-12-13 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 12:50 PM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up on the HID Anita. Had no idea....

I've enlisted my brother who works for Toyota corporate in Japan to see if he can pull some strings. He's going to contact TMS (Toyota Motor Sales USA - sales and marketing arm for Toyota/Lexus) when he's in LA next week for a business trip. I highly doubt he'll be able to do anything but I guess it's worth a shot. I wished the family discount he has in Japan was transferrable to the US. I think he once told me he gets 20-30% off invoice (not MSRP) on all Toyotas and Lexus back home. I'd get a 2013 model if that were the case....

I'll report back if/when I get this truck once and for all. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.
Old 04-14-13, 04:53 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in north Jersey and I've had positive experiences at 2 Lexus dealers. Bought my 2010 RX CPO at Rt 10 Lexus in Whippany. It was back in 2011 but I believe we negotiated about 2k off the asking price. More recently, I helped a family member purchase a 2010 ES CPO from the same dealer. They held firm on price but we were able to get new brakes put on before purchase. It already had new tires.

Another one to try is Prestige Lexus in Ramsey. They pretty much only deal in CPO cars and I've always found their Internet prices to match their tagged prices. I have my car serviced there and I've always found them to be a no-nonsense dealer.
Old 04-14-13, 06:00 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
I'm in north Jersey and I've had positive experiences at 2 Lexus dealers. Bought my 2010 RX CPO at Rt 10 Lexus in Whippany. .
That's where I went last week and they held firm on their price. I offered 31k, they wanted 32k. They didn't even come back with a counteroffer. Have to admit the car was in great shape in comparison to the one Englewood was trying to sell.
Old 04-15-13, 07:54 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont give in. i bought a 2011 CPO Loaded w 13,000 miles for $39k more than a year ago and thought that was a bit high. But it has been perfect and we do enjoy it. It was on the south-Central FL Gulf coast. Got 1.9% financing which was good at the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?