RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Adding tow hitch to 2013 FWD void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 06:43 PM
Jrward22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding tow hitch to 2013 FWD void warranty?

I recently bought a 2013 RX450h FWD. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a bike rack for four bikes. I've researched through the options and read the threads on this board. The roof racks and ones that attach to the back don't appear to be good options, so I'm trying to figure out the hitch mount options.

I now understand that the FWD is not rated for towing. When I bought the car, I assumed I could add it later if I need it. My understanding is that I can add an aftermarket hitch and the car can support it fine for light duty like bikes, but it might void the warranty. What's the real risk? If I take it in for service and they see it, will it be an issue?
Old 03-10-13, 07:50 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Jason, welcome to the community. The AWD version is the only one rated to tow. For that reason the dealer will probably not install any hitch on your FWD version. If you didn't have problems related to towing you 'probably' will never have a warranty issue, however we're just enthusiasts and owners just as you are. No one here can definitively tell you it's OK. And then there's the 2nd potential issue down the road when you trade or sell it. The next buyer may know yours isn't qualified to tow and that may cause a problem. I just remove the front wheel and place mine in the back.
Originally Posted by Jrward22
I recently bought a 2013 RX450h FWD. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a bike rack for four bikes. I've researched through the options and read the threads on this board. The roof racks and ones that attach to the back don't appear to be good options, so I'm trying to figure out the hitch mount options.

I now understand that the FWD is not rated for towing. When I bought the car, I assumed I could add it later if I need it. My understanding is that I can add an aftermarket hitch and the car can support it fine for light duty like bikes, but it might void the warranty. What's the real risk? If I take it in for service and they see it, will it be an issue?
Old 03-11-13, 01:25 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My daughter had an ES with a small tow hitch on it. The receiver was a scaled back 1.25" or so ... tiny compared to a normal hitch. It was used for bike racks. A small hitch like this would probably not worry Lexus or a future owner because it is not capable of any heavy towing. But, check directly with Lexus. It was also cheaper (closer to $100). I believe they are called something like a class 1 hitch.

I believe that the reason there is no towing on the FWD 450h has nothing to do with the ability of chassis or engine to handle towing. I think it comes down to the fact that in reverse the car uses it's electric motor to backup. I don't think the backup system is heavy duty enough to backup with a heavy load on the vehicle. The dual motors on the AWD seem to be able to overcome this problem.

You definitely want a hitch to carry four bikes without damaging your RX. The hitch could be removed and tossed before you sold the car ... if you were concerned.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-11-13 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 05:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The hybrid system uses electric motors for both going forward and backward. In fact, it has no transmission and one of electric motors (FWD) is directly tied to the wheels.

I used to own a Prius that I put a hitch on. It is not rated for towing at all.
It was absolutely fine towing a small trailer, backing it up and even hauling 1,000 lbs load from Lowe's.
Again, I had no issues with a bike rack on long trips.

No complaints at the Toyota dealer when I took it in for service. I took the hitch off when I traded it in.

So, in comparison RX450h is much more capable when it comes to towing. Needless to say, bike rack will not be an issue as the body is more than capable of handling it.
Old 03-11-13, 07:19 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I agree with others here that you're only going to get opinions about if Lexus would or would not see putting a hitch on your FWD as a problem. Lexus does not officially sell one. One of the reasons I have an AWD is so I can have a Lexus hitch on my truck, pop in my bike carrier if I want, and never worry about getting into some problem or discussion about it being supported should it come to that.

That being said, do a search in this forum on "Curt hitches". You'll find half a dozen threads and even an video updated in the past 6 months that have installed one on their FWD and think it's great for their situation.