RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Accident - F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 05:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Unhappy Accident - F-Sport

Sad day today

My wife had just parked the car along the curb down OUR street to drop off the kids from school to their friends house. Next thing you know BAM, a Nissan Armada backing out of a driveway from a house across the street smashed into the side-rear of the RX. I'm thankful no one got hurt as my kids had just both got out of the other side facing the sidewalk when the 5500 lb behemoth unleashed its wrath. Lady driver frantically apologized and admitted (police report as well) she only looked one way and didn't see the PARKED RX. Sad and scary that if a child was out in the vicinity...

The entire rear side frame is misaligned with the rear door and hatch. They'll pick it up this weekend and insurance will assess the damage.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any idea if they tap the frame/body back flush or if they cut and re-weld a new flush section? Frame is bent off about a 1/4 inch along the line the door and hatch make.
Attached Thumbnails Accident - F-Sport-rxfsport_20130308_155805.jpg   Accident - F-Sport-rxfsport_2013-03-08-19.18.14.jpg  
Old 03-08-13, 06:31 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That had to make you sick. Sorry it happened.
Old 03-08-13, 06:34 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, hope the damage is not too severe. Thankfully everyone is all right.
Old 03-08-13, 07:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I feel your pain. Have lost several vehicles in bad accidents that while they were put back together they were never really the same -- at least to me.

As for how they do it, more than likely it will just go on a frame machine similar to the video below and will be pulled into alignment.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327387_ho...aightened.html
Old 03-08-13, 07:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I feel your pain. Have lost several vehicles in bad accidents that while they were put back together they were never really the same -- at least to me.

As for how they do it, more than likely it will just go on a frame machine similar to the video below and will be pulled into alignment.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327387_ho...aightened.html
Thanks for the link. Not sure I'm reassured on the heavy machinery pulling and twisting at the frame of the RX. Hopefully they can fix it without impacting the entire car's structural integrity.
Old 03-08-13, 07:40 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks sort of bad.

If it involves, any kind of re-welding or cutting and changing pieces structural pieces, I would say get rid of it and replace it with a new RX. My reason would be, would be the structural integrity of the vehicle after such work.

Last edited by Sango; 03-08-13 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 09:09 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sad day today

My wife had just parked the car along the curb down OUR street to drop off the kids from school to their friends house. Next thing you know BAM, a Nissan Armada backing out of a driveway from a house across the street smashed into the side-rear of the RX. I'm thankful no one got hurt as my kids had just both got out of the other side facing the sidewalk when the 5500 lb behemoth unleashed its wrath. Lady driver frantically apologized and admitted (police report as well) she only looked one way and didn't see the PARKED RX. Sad and scary that if a child was out in the vicinity...

The entire rear side frame is misaligned with the rear door and hatch. They'll pick it up this weekend and insurance will assess the damage.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any idea if they tap the frame/body back flush or if they cut and re-weld a new flush section? Frame is bent off about a 1/4 inch along the line the door and hatch make.
It looks like mostly cosmetic damage, though a bad one-the "frame" should not be affected, and a new rear quater panel can be welded in, bumper cover needs to be replaced.
It is hard to say if there is any structural damage w/o looking from below the vehicle...but it was low speed collision, hopefully w/ no structural damage.

You can try to make a case w/ their insurance Co re:diminished residial value of your RX.
Old 03-08-13, 09:50 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

oh man that sucks!
Old 03-08-13, 10:03 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tough break ... good luck with the repair. It would be interesting to hear how they repair that rear panel ... I've always wondered how that is done.
Old 03-09-13, 12:16 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks for the link. Not sure I'm reassured on the heavy machinery pulling and twisting at the frame of the RX. Hopefully they can fix it without impacting the entire car's structural integrity.
Personally, I believe once a piece of metal, in this case perhaps the frame of your RX, has been bent it is never quite the same even if you bend it back into shape. A lot of materials science and engineering involved. Am sure the insurance companies have a different opinion. However, until they get all those damaged panels off to inspect the extent of things and get it on the sled to measure how it lines up everything is just speculation. The frame may actually be fine.

Here is another video on frame straightening using a laser measuring system. This is what you want your shop to have at its disposal. Does not mean they necessarily own one, rather, just that they have access to one.

Old 03-09-13, 04:38 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to see this, but very glad your family is OK. I too suspect your RX may never quite be the same -- it's looks like a awful lot of things may be involved or potentially impacted as the years go on, but we'll all keep hoping for the best! Keep us posted.
Old 03-09-13, 05:09 AM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this. Glad to hear your family is OK.

A quality body shop should be able to make the proper repairs. In 2008 my wife's '07 Prius was hit on the R/R quarter panel by someone who blew through a yield sign while she was turning. They had to replace the quarter panel and straighten the unit body around the door frame, replace the bumper, and respray the vehicle. We still have the vehicle and had no issues with the repair.
Old 03-09-13, 08:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Corrado, first I want to say I'm glad no one was injured. That kind of inattentiveness by the other driver could have resulted in something far worse. It's very sad to see your F-Sport hurt like that I'd wait to hear what the insurance company says and then take it from there. It's hard to determine the extent of the damage from the pictures. I know that's not what you want to hear right now but it will get better. Keep us posted.
Old 03-09-13, 09:40 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that's really something. Cant believe the other driver didnt see such a big car parked. waiting for the day when backup cameras are standard
Old 03-09-13, 09:59 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep to your guns and be sure that they pay you for the diminished residial value of your RX. Because it does mot matter how well they fix this car it will not have the same value of one just like it that was not hit. Look around your town there to see if they have some one that does Diminished value clams . When my 2005 RX330 got bump state farm at first did not want to pay me for it. I got $500 out of them after fighting with them for some time . When I let the car go car fax hit me with a $ 600 charge for the bump. Keep sticking to your guns and do not let them screw you over on this.

Quick Reply: Accident - F-Sport