RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Personalized Settings for 2013 RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 09:08 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Personalized Settings for 2013 RX

I am curious which of these people have changed and if it would be advantageous for me to have changed?

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf

Thanks Dorothy
Old 03-03-13, 09:41 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did everything i could in the nav system, i just had the dealership turn on "windows open with unlock key"
Old 03-03-13, 02:22 PM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#30 Rear hatch opens when depressing button rather than just unlock. Dealer must do.
Old 03-03-13, 03:36 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dorothy, for me on the other hand, I had no changes made by the dealer to my 2006 over the 8 years I owned it, or to my 2013 which is nearly 9 months old. I only tweaked some of what I could change in the vehicle myself. I can see the logic perhaps with some personalization changes that are available, but others, could likely come up with reasons I wouldn't suggest the default be changed as well.
As a speculative side note, I've always wondered why my RX's since 1999 have an increasing number of options I could change myself at any time, but also have this set of relatively similar personalizations across now 3 generations of RX that only the dealer can modify upon request. I'm happy Lexus let's their dealers make these personalizations for those that want them, and I'm all for that, but it's interesting to me after all these years, with other things Lexus has done to probably save money, that these changes still require dealer service intervention vs. having just become another option the consumer could change themselves. I doubt at this point Lexus just forgot about it, as they would see increased warranty costs from their dealers every time a customer asks for the free change to be made. Lexus may not be the fastest with deploying some changes, but after this amount of time and the cost challenges everyone is concerned with, it sure makes me think Lexus engineers or designers have some good reason for going to the trouble keeping a set of personalization options in all their models that are only available for change after great thought on behalf of the owner, and only with intervention by their dealer network who preserves the changes as part of the VIN service record. IMO for the good and bad of it, Lexus generally tries to be deliberate in what they do, even if we don't know the reasons for it some times. Anyway, back to your question.
My suggestion is, take the input folks give you here, but then read through the list of what could be changed once again, and live with the defaults that come with your RX for the first 5K miles (or until something really begins driving you nuts and you can't wait). At that point, if you really believe a change would be better for you, super, have your dealer do it. They'll make any personalization changes one time for you "officially" until the 5K service is performed, without charge. They may or may not charge you to change something after that.

Last edited by BertL; 03-03-13 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-03-13, 04:53 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by naplesam
#30 Rear hatch opens when depressing button rather than just unlock. Dealer must do.
I like this suggestion a lot.

Any and all appreciated. I just turned 2k miles. Loving it.
Old 03-03-13, 05:33 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing that drives me nutz is how the HVAC automatically goes into "RECIRC" mode during hotter times of the year. I understand the reasoning but I also want to make that decision myself. Not sure what Toyota calls it, but that function must be altered by the dealer. Funny, when I asked my Toyota dealer to do it on our '09 TCH, they looked at my like I had two heads. Claimed they never heard of it and would have to "open up a case" with Toyota. They finally figured it out.
Old 03-04-13, 09:09 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by naplesam
I just tried that on mine (2013) and my dealer must have done for me before delivery. I guess I don't have to worry about that at 5K miles
Old 03-04-13, 09:47 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, I am sure there is some safety feature built into NO Outside Air mode, however, a cars cabin is a very small space.... with a few passengers, its incredible how fast CO2 build-up can occur...sure, it won't kill ya, but it sure can make ya feel like crap. I test these things in commercial buildings, so of course, I occasionally test them in my cars, just for kicks... I leave my OA intake on as a default.

Even an avg sized bedroom, with two people, will double the CO2 concentration after one night of sleeping (vs. the 450ppm in all outside air). I even have OA intake system in my house, similar to what the cars offer.... one of the best investments I ever put into my house. Re-inhaling toxic exhale, is not ideal.... we all tend to overlook things we can not smell, see, taste, or sense....

As for these options....why in the world can't the remote lock doors AND close windows??? How nice would that have been.... must be a legal issue...
Old 07-26-13, 10:48 AM
gto88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Personalize Settings: can it be treaked by owner

I am picking up my 2013 RX 350 this weekend.
I studies the LPS PDF file, and thinking to change those dealer applicable only
by then.
However, I think if owner can set it any time would be handy when you want to
change it over time.

Some people will post some trick for certain car even it is not listed any where in the
manual of the car.

Is it possible that someone know how to do those dealer applicable settings by owner
without any equipment?
Maybe some technician work at the dealers knows the trcik and willing to help here.
Old 07-30-13, 06:31 PM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gto88
I am picking up my 2013 RX 350 this weekend.
I studies the LPS PDF file, and thinking to change those dealer applicable only
by then.
However, I think if owner can set it any time would be handy when you want to
change it over time.

Some people will post some trick for certain car even it is not listed any where in the
manual of the car.

Is it possible that someone know how to do those dealer applicable settings by owner
without any equipment?
Maybe some technician work at the dealers knows the trcik and willing to help here.
The dealer only options require the Lexus computer being plugged into the OBDII plug under the dash and navigation through the tablet to change the options you want switched (I watched them change some of my settings for me). So in order to change these settings you would have to have or know someone who has a Lexus computer and knows how to access the options using the computer.
Old 03-27-14, 08:02 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you guys want to change your Lexus Personalized Settings by yourselves, now you can

We've recently released a new version of our Carista OBD2 app for Android, which can do just that. No need to fight with the dealer about them anymore! Plus, there are a lot more settings actually available on these cars (and through Carista) than the dealer offers in hose PDFs.

All you need is an ELM327 bluetooth adapter ($10-25 on amazon/ebay/etc.) and the "Pro Package" inside Carista, which is $9.99. By the way, you can see what settings are available for your car and what their current values are for free, without buying the Pro Package. You only need to pay if you want to change a setting. So give it a try
Old 03-27-14, 08:59 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I paid $140.00 for a wired handheld device in 2009 so $12.00 plus and Android app looks like a good deal and is a lot smaller.

The check engine light came on when we didn't tighten the gas cap enough on our 2002 Highlander. Same thing happened to our daughter and she paid more than the cost of this app to have the light reset.

If the RX check engine light comes on it is probably off to the dealer unless it is something stupid like the gas cap.

I'm interested in the customized settings and this seems like a small cost to learn more. Can anyone confirm settings that are not shown on the PDF listing?

I ordered
this scanner this scanner
and will give the app a try Saturday when the hardware shows up.
Old 03-27-14, 09:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
All you need is an ELM327 bluetooth adapter ($10-25 on amazon/ebay/etc.) and the "Pro Package" inside Carista, which is $9.99. By the way, you can see what settings are available for your car and what their current values are for free, without buying the Pro Package. You only need to pay if you want to change a setting. So give it a try
I assume you realize that on the web page on your site indicated in the above URL at least two of the three products listed are using "cloned" chips and therefore are not "true" ELM product. As a result, some or all features may not work. The third product, actually the first one in your list, does not indicate which version or whose chip they are using.

"A few clone makers have carefully worded ads that make it seem like they are using genuine version v1.4a, v1.5, v1.5a, or v2.1 Elm chips. These can not use Elm Electronics ICs as we have never made those versions."

http://www.elmelectronics.com/obd.html

I have no association with ELM. Just a CL member who sees the need to point out that you are not getting what you think you are getting when you buy these products.
Old 03-27-14, 09:24 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom558
I'm interested in the customized settings and this seems like a small cost to learn more. Can anyone confirm settings that are not shown on the PDF listing?
Here are the available settings on one of our test vehicles, a 2010 RX450h (Euro spec). Newer models usually support more settings. Also, we're in the process of adding more settings to the app, mostly relating to the seats and interior instruments (they will come as a free update to the app when we release them).

Here's what we have in the current version (2.0):

Auto headlights activation threshold (Much darker / Darker / Normal / Lighter / Much lighter)
Instrument lights dimming sensitivity (Much darker / Darker / Normal / Lighter / Much lighter)
Instrument lights restoring sensitivity (Much darker / Darker / Normal / Lighter / Much lighter)
Dim interior lights after… (7 seconds / 15 seconds / 30 seconds)
Turn on interior lights when you shut off engine (Yes / No)
Turn on interior lights when you unlock doors (Yes / No)
Turn on interior lights when smart key in range (Yes / No)
Center console spotlight (bright when doors open, dim when driving) (Yes / No)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) when smart key in range (Yes / No)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) when doors unlocked via remote (Yes / No)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) when doors unlocked via interior switch (Yes / No)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) for… (Off / 7 seconds / 15 seconds / 30 seconds)
Interior light control (Enabled / Disabled)
Exterior light control (Enabled / Disabled)
Ding when headlights are left on (Yes / No)
Remote low battery warning (On / Off)
Rear parking sensor range (Narrow / Wide)
Mute parking sensor when stationary for more than 3 sec. (Yes / No)
Parking sensor beep volume (1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / Max)
Blink turn signals when locking/unlocking with remote (Yes / No)
Volume of beep when locking/unocking with remote (Off / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / Max)
Beep when opening/closing windows with remote (Yes / No)
Warn when door can't be locked with remote because it's open (Yes / No)
Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door within… (30 seconds / 60 seconds / 120 seconds)
Unlock doors via remote (Driver's door on 1st press, all on 2nd / All doors on 1st press)
Unlock doors via physical key (Driver's door on 1st press, all on 2nd / All doors on 1st press)
Unlock doors via smart key (Driver's door on 1st press, all on 2nd / All doors on 1st press)
Auto-lock doors when moving (On / Off)
Lock doors when shifting into gear (On / Off)
Unlock doors when shifting into park (P) (On / Off)
Unlock all doors when driver's door is opened (On / Off)
Lock doors when smart key inside vehicle after… (0.5 seconds / 1.5 seconds / 2.5 seconds / 5 seconds)
Smart key location to start car (Front seats / Anywhere in vehicle)
Open windows/sunroof by holding key in door lock (On / Off)
Close windows/sunroof by holding key in door lock (On / Off)
Open windows and sunroof via long-press on remote (On / Off)
Close windows and sunroof via long-press on remote (On / Off)
Temperature dial calibration (-2°C / -1°C / Normal / +1°C / +2°C)
A/C evaporator control (Automatic / Manual)
A/C ECO mode (Enabled / Disabled)
Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on (Yes / No)
Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed) (Yes / No)
Auto-turn on recirculate mode when A/C is on (Yes / No)
Deactivate front defroster when AUTO button pressed (Yes / No)
Beep when HVAC buttons are pressed (Yes / No)

We are particularly proud of the "Ding when headlights are left on" setting, which is NOT available through the dealers' software on this car
Old 03-27-14, 09:34 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I assume you realize that on the web page on your site indicated in the above URL at least two of the three products listed are using "cloned" chips and therefore are not "true" ELM product. As a result, some or all features may not work. The third product, actually the first one in your list, does not indicate which version or whose chip they are using.

"A few clone makers have carefully worded ads that make it seem like they are using genuine version v1.4a, v1.5, v1.5a, or v2.1 Elm chips. These can not use Elm Electronics ICs as we have never made those versions."

http://www.elmelectronics.com/obd.html

I have no association with ELM. Just a CL member who sees the need to point out that you are not getting what you think you are getting when you buy these products.
Yes, very true! We've spent countless hours trying to work around bugs/incompatibilities and other problems with those ELM clones. We've made Carista robust enough that it can work with most of them. But yes, the fact that we've linked to them from our web site doesn't mean that we endorse those products or that we're saying they're the best thing available. They're just the cheapest thing available, and that's what most users prefer, as long as it works ok.

Also, note that the Lexus-specific functionality in Carista needs an ELM327 v1.4-compatible chip. Notably, the OBDLink LX is v1.3-compatible, so it doesn't work. The next version of Carista will be able to work with older versions of the ELM327 interface too, incl. the OBDLink ones.

Quick Reply: Personalized Settings for 2013 RX