RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-09-15, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Console Storage Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 02:13 PM
flashydiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console Storage Box

Hello,

I heard that there is a box that I could purchase to "fill up" the empty space in the center console's "pass through storage". Is this true? Does anybody know about this? Or where I can get one from? What do others use this space for? Everything I seem to put in the space just rolls around and makes a bunch of noise.

Thanks for your Help
Old 02-27-13, 05:28 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has a large box of tissue in ours.
Old 02-28-13, 10:04 AM
kirbyskip
Driver School Candidate

Default Storage console

I use mine to store several of the user manuals, including the very large one. They will tuck nicely into the storage space. Since I don't use them very often, it's a good place to store them -- and they don't rattle around like other items might.
Old 02-28-13, 01:00 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Every SUV needs a nice laundry basket in the back. That's where my towels, manuals, paper towel roll, gloves, etc., ride.
Originally Posted by kirbyskip
I use mine to store several of the user manuals, including the very large one. They will tuck nicely into the storage space. Since I don't use them very often, it's a good place to store them -- and they don't rattle around like other items might.
Old 02-28-13, 01:42 PM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kirbyskip
That's brilliant. I'd been considering stowing mine in the space by the spare tire to free up the glove box... I never even thought about using the console space. Thanks so much!
Old 02-28-13, 02:51 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't forget about the large hidden cavern directly under the armrest storage area as

well. Just remove the folding plastic false floor in the console and ALSO flip sideways the extra door on the left side. You will find another space 3X the size of your armrest storage. There is enough space there for about 7 Ipads stored vertically. It is undocumented in the manual. None of the local Lexus salesmen knew about iy until I showed them.
Old 02-28-13, 02:56 PM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MachineMan
well. Just remove the folding plastic false floor in the console and ALSO flip sideways the extra door on the left side. You will find another space 3X the size of your armrest storage. There is enough space there for about 7 Ipads stored vertically. It is undocumented in the manual. None of the local Lexus salesmen knew about iy until I showed them.
I thought that was the space we were talking about... oops. Now that I read the original post I guess the OP meant the open storage space at the base of the console.
Old 03-01-13, 05:27 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shhh. That place is a secret.
Old 03-04-13, 06:11 AM
flashydiva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mac12
My wife has a large box of tissue in ours.
Thanks I didn't think about the tissue box!
Old 03-04-13, 06:28 AM
flashydiva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mac12
Shhh. That place is a secret.
LOL. It is still a secret!!! I can't find it!!!
Old 03-04-13, 06:36 AM
flashydiva
Driver School Candidate

Where? What? Wow! I wish you could post a picture. I was all on the floor trying to find this secret place.

So, just to make sure we are talking about the same place. I am not talking about the armrest storage. I'm talking about the place that's just like an open box/space that's under the navigation buttons and mouse.

Is this where you are talking about? How do I open it?
Old 03-04-13, 07:31 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

This space is only in the 2013s, right?

There is a picture on page 677 in the 2013 owners manual. It's a great spot, big enough to hold all of the manuals.
Old 03-04-13, 08:16 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Folks, for clarity, I think we're at times mixing up two different spaces in this thread.

One is the "open space" literally under the controller that is a pass-thru area from where the drivers and passenger's feet/legs are. This is what I believe the OP was originally talking about in post #1.

The second area is the "secret space" more recently referenced that is completely enclosed under the bottom of the console box where the drivers right elbow generally sits. ...and yes, Woodrow, that is one of the unannounced new things on the 2013 and I fit all my manuals under there (after careful reading)
Old 03-04-13, 10:46 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I considered that space for the books but it would be a PITA to get to them as I would have to re-thread my phone charger pig-tale through the hole each time. I just keep them in the laundry basket in the luggage compt instead.
Originally Posted by BertL
Folks, for clarity, I think we're at times mixing up two different spaces in this thread.

One is the "open space" literally under the controller that is a pass-thru area from where the drivers and passenger's feet/legs are. This is what I believe the OP was originally talking about in post #1.

The second area is the "secret space" more recently referenced that is completely enclosed under the bottom of the console box where the drivers right elbow generally sits. ...and yes, Woodrow, that is one of the unannounced new things on the 2013 and I fit all my manuals under there (after careful reading)
Old 03-04-13, 12:38 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

I've been giving some thought to a good use for the open space under the console (not the space under the armrest..)

One thought that comes to me is this would be a dandy spot to add a subwoofer or two..

My first thought was something like a BassLink:

But - it looks like the space isn't as large as we all imagine it is. Measured it - it's about 8" wide (side to side) 10" long (front to back) and height varies between the ends and center. The ends are only about 4" high clear space, the center perhaps 6".

Since a true sub is non-directional this would be an ideal spot for it (if you can hear where the sound is coming from it's too loud..) And there is power right there with the lighter outlet (wonder if that's on a switched circuit?) Any ambitious soul thinking of making an aftermarket solution? Something with nice cloth grilles available in the interior colors would blend in and look stock.

Would be nice to improve the audio on the RX - it's rather sadly lacking in low frequency compared to the Bose system on my Cayenne (which uses a large powered subwoofer built in below the spare tire in the rear.)

Last edited by deilenberg; 03-04-13 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Console Storage Box