RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 10:03 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^

If noise is not a concern go with the BF Goodrich Long-trail T/A tour tires.

Those tires are great on snow and iced roads.

I tested those myself back in 2011 here in Georgia when we got a lot of snow/ice and the city of Atlanta did not have enough snow trucks to keep up.

My wife old 2006 Nissan Murano AWD was pulling ice covered hilly roads like it still summer.

These tire have traction,but they are noisy on dry pavement.

Here is the BFG tires on my old 2006 Murano in the snow back in 2011.

I also used Continental DWS tires on my 2006 Infiniti M35x, which are great AS tire as well.

Old 03-23-16, 10:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

mattsk42, I suggest you take a look through the tire thread which I merged yours with. It'll give you a few options.
Old 04-06-16, 11:53 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought new tires for my 2013 RX 350 FWD. I had 47K on the original Bridgestone Dueler 400 XL, and could have gotten a couple more months out of them. We drive 15K miles per year, mostly on interstates in Florida and southern states. I was told 47K was exceptional for those OEM's.
I narrowed down my choices to the Pirrelli Scorpion Verde Plus's, and the Michelin Premier LTX's for the 235/55/19 tires, which was based on numerous reviews and Tire Rack tests. I went with the Michelins because they tested so well on wet roads, and that's most critical here in Florida. The Pirrellis's were a tad cheaper, but we're talking about $100 over around three years, so I went with what I thought would be the safest tire for me. I got mine at Discount Tire for around $1000.
I've only got a few miles on them so far, but they seem to be an improvement in ride and comfort. That could just be the newness though. I'm especially interested to see if the gas mileage improves, particularly on longer interstate trips. I originally leaned toward the Pirrelli's due to the positive reviews, and tested economy, and shied from the Michelin's because of little long term experience since they've been out less than a year. I will update after I get a bit more mileage on the tires.
Old 04-20-16, 01:16 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I searched this forum, but it looks like no one has reported on the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2... If anyone knows anything, please advise.
I think I may try to get them. I will not buy Michelin or Continental. The Dunlop & Pirelli & Bridgestone all have some realistically weak reviews from our group. I really like the idea of Summer Only because I have Blizzaks for winter. These seem like a good fit although I have never owned Hankooks.
If I need to avoid like the plague, please let me know.
Old 04-21-16, 07:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

The Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 are a Summer high performance tire. Do not drive on them below 40 degrees or bad weather. Summer tires rubber compounds do not drive well in cold weather as they get too stiff, they need warmth to work properly. Here is the blurb at Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....us+S1+evo2+SUV
Call them up if you do not believe me, their sales persons are very knowledgeable.

I did have the Hankook S1 Noble2 on my previously owned CT200h and they were very nice all season high performance tires and I would buy them again. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/hankook-tires.jsp
Old 04-21-16, 03:18 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, I was aware of that. That's why I mentioned it not being an issue because I use dedicated winter tires appropriately.
Old 04-22-16, 08:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

According to the owner reviews at Tire Rack they wear out very quickly. All 3 of the reviews complained about wear. I see they only have a 220 wear rating.
It may be wise to try a different tire with a longer tread life.
Old 06-14-16, 09:12 AM
MarinRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bquinney
Got these...1200 cdn all in. Went to Lexus for the alignment.

Saw the review on tire rack as the best all season even though I have Blizzaks for my snows. Got these for rain and early season trips through the mountains. Didn't want to get caught out with summer tires.

First Impressions: more road noise than the OEM Michelin Lattiude, which had an ok tread wear, but were not great in snow.

Great in heavy rain. No hydroplaning.

Firmer ride...starting to feel a bit like my old X3...but not quite. I do miss the BMW ride.

So far happy as I've have these on my X3 and they were great (I had Hak's for my winters on the bimmer)

2013 RX350 F Sport.....with a rack coming in the mail for the ski box!
Any updates on these? I'm looking to fit some summer tires to my 2010 RX350 ( also have the Blizzaks for the snow) and Tire Rack has a great deal on these (~$700 delivered before rebate and installation). I'm seeing mixed reviews on the standard Verdes but not sure if there's a big difference with the "Plus" version?

edit: this is for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires
Old 06-14-16, 08:40 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I needed tires quick. And did not want to pay 225+ for them. I went to a local dealer who has been there for decades and we put 4 Coopers on. They were whatever size fit my car. 175 per, and they are the smoothest riding & quietest tires I have ever had. I cannot believe it. I had Michelin HP touring (I think, they were top of line Michelin) and these are better.

If anyone is interested, I will get the model number/name. I cannot imagine that Cooper makes too many varieties of tires for this car.
Old 06-17-16, 07:26 PM
EasyAs123
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I needed tires quick. And did not want to pay 225+ for them. I went to a local dealer who has been there for decades and we put 4 Coopers on. They were whatever size fit my car. 175 per, and they are the smoothest riding & quietest tires I have ever had. I cannot believe it. I had Michelin HP touring (I think, they were top of line Michelin) and these are better.

If anyone is interested, I will get the model number/name. I cannot imagine that Cooper makes too many varieties of tires for this car.
I am interested! I will need to put new tires on in August. I purchased my vehicle used mid-August last year and I've already put 18k miles on it! That's what happens when you are checking out colleges. I will soon have 40k miles on the vehicle with the original tires.
Old 06-18-16, 07:25 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EasyAs123
I am interested! I will need to put new tires on in August. I purchased my vehicle used mid-August last year and I've already put 18k miles on it! That's what happens when you are checking out colleges. I will soon have 40k miles on the vehicle with the original tires.
I will post the info up here tomorrow.
Old 06-20-16, 06:36 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my local tire shop said the Michelin Premier LTx is better allseason tire than the latitude tour HP. is this true?
Old 06-20-16, 07:59 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Originally Posted by greeknasty
my local tire shop said the Michelin Premier LTx is better allseason tire than the latitude tour HP. is this true?
Tirerack.com is usually considered the go-to source for this information. Their user ratings agree. #1 is Michelin Premier LTX. Pirelli Scorpian Verde All Season Plus is #2. Michelin Latitude Tour HP is # 13.

The only caveat regarding the LTX is the amount of user miles reported. It's only 125,000, because it's a relatively new tire.
Old 06-20-16, 09:07 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Having had both the Michelins and Pirellis on the '10, both give a firm ride but the Premiers are more forgiving.on the bumps. I didn't get to test them out too much on the snow this past winter For the price though, they're the better deal. Latitudes were easily another $60 per tire.
Old 06-20-16, 09:16 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow up on my Michelin Premier LTX's for the 235/55/19 tires: I now have around 4,000 miles on the tires. Unfortunately, there is not much I can add. The mileage seems to be about the same as the OEM's, and I'm unable to discern any major difference in the ride, handling or noise. More power to those that find substantial ride improvements on their new tires. I chose these for the long term reliability, and reported wet road performance.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread