RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 03:27 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Aptosuser, I think you're the first to get the Premiers .... Please report back.
I drove about 100 miles today on the new Michelin Premier LTX tires. They are much smoother and quieter inflated to 36 PSI (cold), which I noticed works out to 40 PSI when the tires are warm/hot. Fuel economy is good; I averaged 28.2 mpg on the latest tank of gas. I am very impressed with the way these tires handle. I drove between Santa Cruz and Palo Alto over a winding, 4-lane mountain road (Calif. Highway 17) and these tires gripped the road superbly through the curves. My car's steering feels tight now, which is a very welcome improvement. Bottom line, I think I'm gonna like these tires.
Old 07-15-15, 05:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That's great. A confident ride is definitely a plus. And I'm glad you found the right pressure for comfort. You'll have to keep us posted. As you probably know, Lexus is putting the Premiers on the 4RX. I had a chance to see them at NYIAS. Michelin had a small display next to the '16 RX. They didn't look particularly impressive. But so far they sound pretty awesome. I almost wish I needed new tires, LOL!
Old 07-16-15, 10:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My (new to me) 2013 RX450h came with Kumho City Venture Premium. Can't really find much information on them, but they do ride smooth. I don't know what kind of rolling resistance they have, but they may be holding me back from getting the mpg I should be getting. Not sure if the dealer will do anything considering they are not defective.
Old 07-16-15, 05:40 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
My (new to me) 2013 RX450h came with Kumho City Venture Premium. Can't really find much information on them, but they do ride smooth. I don't know what kind of rolling resistance they have, but they may be holding me back from getting the mpg I should be getting. Not sure if the dealer will do anything considering they are not defective.
I searched Tire Rack and learned that your tire has since been renamed "Crugen Premium." It's the same tire -- same materials and tread -- as the City Venture. There are some reviews from Tire Rack customers here. The reviews are not especially favorable. You might want to just junk the tires that came with your RX and replace them with Michelins. I did that with my wife's new 2012 Camry hybrid, which came with Bridgestone tires. I knew that Bridgestones were not very good and that new Camry hybrids at other dealerships came with OEM Michelins and asked the dealer to switch the Bridgestones for Michelin MXVs, but they said that the couldn't because all their cars came with the Bridgestones. I don't know if it was a case of "couldn't" because they didn't have any Michelins on hand or just "wouldn't", but I knew they weren't gonna do it so I took the car "as is" because the price was right.

I've never regretted "eating" the cost of the Michelin tires, considering them a long-term investment. We have 40,000 miles on them now and they look like they could go another 20K. The Michelin Premier LTX tires I just got for our RX 450h are the successor tires to the MXV model, by the way.
Old 07-17-15, 05:56 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default Everyone has their favorite and .......

.......ratings change too. I'm kinda referring to Tire Rack which most folks, including myself, look to to find what 'might'' be the "best" tire for ones car/vehicle.

If one were to rely on Tire Rack as the sole source for tire choice one has to be careful. Tire ratings change. When I bought my 'choice' the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 'Plus' was the best rated tire for my 2013 RX. My limitation was that I also have 19" wheels. Second choice was the Bridgestone tire but it was 'H' rated so that made it a slight hesitation to get?? To my surprise, in my wheel size, the Michelin brand did not come out too high??

Admittedly the Dunlops did not fare well in the ratings and I too did not like them but they came with the vehicle and I'm slightly tight with the wallet so was not going to scrap them and then spend hundreds of dollars on new tires when what I had, had oodles of tread left on them.

What's my point?? I like my Pirelli's and they are quiet and ride smooth. I have put several thousand miles on them and seem to work well for me But for someone else they may be extremely happy with their Michelin, Bridgestone or whatever.

Buyer beware.....take 'our' advice......carefully. If you have had good luck with a certain brand in the past kinda look there, you were happy for a reason. Also, I have found that some of the reputable tire shops will give good advice on what has been a good tire choice for their customers for certain model vehicles. Don't be hesitant to listen/take their advice.

Pirelli has been (is) a good choice for me.,,,..for you? maybe not?
Old 07-17-15, 09:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great points NorthGA. I've gone to my fav local tire guy for more than 10 years and asked him for recommendations on my RXs. He has yet to disappoint though I initially brought up the Scorpion Verdes as a replacement for the Dunlops three years ago. Reviews are a great place to start, hence why I began this thread. But they only go so far. It's important to keep in mind what's most important when purchasing new tires. One size does not fit all. For me it was solid all season performance and warranty. I'll admit I took a chance on the Pirellis. There wasn't too much info out there. Fortunately they haven't disappointed.

What I would add is don't wait until you need new tires to start looking at your options. It took me a few weeks to make a decision, mostly due to lack of info on the Pirellis. And get a few recommendations from the dealer and local tire places.
Old 08-03-15, 02:26 PM
markn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve decided to purchase the 235/60-18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires for my wifes 2012 RX350. I was online and found pricing at Discount Tire that I felt was a great deal now with a $70 rebate. I called the local Discount Tire for more information about pricing and availability. They told me that the tire pressure monitoring sensors need the gaskets replaced when new tires are installed at $8 each. I told them I’d do some checking with the dealer to see if this was needed.

So my question is “do these gaskets need replacing” on a 3.5 yr old 38k mile vehicle ? I’d say NO. I’ve never had this done on any of my other TPM wheels for other vehicles (non-Lexus/Toyota) that I’ve owned when new tires were mounted.
Old 08-03-15, 03:10 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by markn
They told me that the tire pressure monitoring sensors need the gaskets replaced when new tires are installed at $8 each. I told them I’d do some checking with the dealer to see if this was needed.

So my question is “do these gaskets need replacing” on a 3.5 yr old 38k mile vehicle ? I’d say NO. I’ve never had this done on any of my other TPM wheels for other vehicles (non-Lexus/Toyota) that I’ve owned when new tires were mounted.
I have had new tires installed at Big O several times on our TPM vehicles and never once have I been charged for new gaskets, at least not to my knowledge.

Good luck with the Bridgestones. They were OEM tires on my wife's new (in 2012) Camry hybrid and I couldn't get rid of them soon enough.
Old 08-04-15, 05:46 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Originally Posted by markn
I’ve decided to purchase the 235/60-18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires for my wifes 2012 RX350. I was online and found pricing at Discount Tire that I felt was a great deal now with a $70 rebate. I called the local Discount Tire for more information about pricing and availability. They told me that the tire pressure monitoring sensors need the gaskets replaced when new tires are installed at $8 each. I told them I’d do some checking with the dealer to see if this was needed.

I have talked with a Lexus 'tech' and he said it is not necessary. The tire stores are doing that to 1) make money and 2) cover their backsides so just in case there was to be a leak they would not have to redo the installation.
Old 08-04-15, 01:41 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHen I got my preowned RX450h it had 19" Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport tyres installed, still in good conditions with 4,4 mm of average tread. But I did not like the ride at all: inconsistent steering feedback, vague feeling during cornering, and in top of that a very poor fluency that made very difficult any attempt of glide. So I started looking for a new set of tyres, with special attention to three priorities:
1) low friction 2) good brake on wet 3) M+S tag.

At the end of my research I bought the Michelin Latitude Tour HP custom edition for Porsche, recognizable by the "NO" tag on the sides. Compared with regular Latitude tyres, they have lesser rolling resistance and firmer sides.

I have now some 300 miles on them, and I cans say that they have a smooth and quiet ride on smooth roads and (to be honest) a-harsh-but-still-enough-quiet ride on the local awful cobblestone roads; a decent behaviour when cornering, and provide a good steering feedback. Still have to test 'em on wet, but I am confident. Most of all, finally now I can enjoy the pleasures of gliding... wondering if it is the case to increase the pressure to 3,0 bar, now they are inflated at 2,7 bar@30 C (39 psi@86 F).
Old 08-05-15, 12:11 PM
davew277

I picked up my 2010 RX350 back in March. It came with the 19" Michelins and they have about 1/2" of tread on them right now after a few thousand miles so they're pretty much new (9/16" is new?). The vehicle has 47k miles on it at the moment.

For the most part I like the vehicle. But one thing that was below my expectations was the ride quality. I was driving a 2012 SRX4 before this and the ride/handling was much better. On smooth roads the RX ride is good, but it wanders at highway speeds. (I don't know if this is normal or if something is wrong). It is in need of an alignment though, which I intend to do soon... It pulls a little to the left.

I dropped the tire pressure to 32 PSI all around and thought I noticed a slight improvement to the ride. Adding weight in the back made a noticeable improvement on the ride. But I'm wondering if higher tire pressure will help the handling at highway speeds? I'm probably going to try it. I prefer handling over ride quality. I hate wandering...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I wouldn't trade my RX for the SRX at all. The SRX had better ride/handling to me, but I prefer everything else about the RX. I'm only trying to get the ride as close to what I like as possible. The interior of this 2010 is a lot more luxurious than that 2012 SRX to me, by a lot. The ride just wasn't what I was expecting from a Lexus.

To sum it up; I'm asking if wandering at highway speeds is normal for a 2010 RX350?

Edit:
I made an appointment to have the alignment done on Friday (it needs it anyway). So I'll have them look at it then. I'm tired of wondering.

I'm also a bit surprised that not a single person bothered to respond and there have been a lot of views since I posted. This is a question that every RX350 owner can answer. I've heard that Lexus customer service is second to none. I guess that doesn't apply to the forums. It's all good. People have the right not to respond, and I have the right not to come here. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll not be back. Delete my account.

Last edited by davew277; 08-06-15 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 11:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Your expectation is a bit too much here. The forum is not own and operated by Lexus at all, nor do we have technicians on standby. Everyone here is an owner, just like you. It's only until recently that we have Lexus customer service available to our forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/

Wandering on the freeway is never normal for a factory car. Chance are if someone is not responding, it's probably because they don't have the same issue. Many people also don't drive on the same road as you, or with the same tires. The amount of RX owners on this forum make up a very very small number of the actual RX on the road.

The RX handling is just not up there no matter what you do with the tires, alignment, etc. It serves its purpose as a comfortable transportation but you may not find the handling you want until the next generation RX comes out.
Old 08-28-15, 10:18 PM
markn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I posted back in 8-3-15 I was ready to purchase 235/60-18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires for my wifes 2012 RX350 with a $70 rebate but it didn’t happen because of a time problem. Doing much research after this I decided to instead go with the Continental CrossContact LX20. I was looking at all the great reviews of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus that ranked #1 but when you look at the “ Total Miles Reported” on the total number of reviews it was less than 10% total miles of the Conti’s on Tire Rack. The driving videos on Tire Rack of both tires also helped.

This Thursday I was on Discount Tire Direct website and they listed the Conti’s delivered for $166 each plus a $100 Visa card rebate. So I called my local Discount Tire store and told them what I saw online and asked what they could offer. The sales person checked the website and said they could reduce the price of each tire by $25 giving me the same price and not having to wait for the Visa card rebate. Today they were installed for $672 out the door. These replaced the factory Michelin Latitude Tour HP with 39k and 2/32 left on them. I almost never drive this car as it’s always with my wife. First impression compared to the replaced Michelins.. The ride is slightly firmer from the XL load rating.. The car steers more on center. Ran it up to 90mph for a full mile and it was very smooth with no vibrations. I also did some high speed breaking to knock the mold release off the tires. Just a quiet as the replaced Michelins

I won’t get a chance to dive this SUV anytime soon now that my wife has it back, but I’ll get a full report from her as she’s as fussy about tires as I am. This is the first automatic transmission vehicle that she’s owed since 1977. She can drive the wheels off a stick shift car and has had some faster ones when younger.
Old 08-31-15, 10:38 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Default Yokohama Geolander Tires? Feedback requested

Hello, all,

When I purchased by 2013 RX, I got it with Michelin Latitudes. I just took it in for its 40K mile service, and apparently 3 of the tires need to be replaced (the 4th tire had been recently replaced due to a nail in the tire last year). When the service person called me to discuss the tire issue, he mentioned that I would get some assistance from Michelin on price due to the tires not making their full mileage as stated in the warranty. He then said he had a better solution. He recommended the Yokohama Geolandar tires. He said they used to not like Yokohama but that these tires are actually quite good and comparable to the Latitudes. He even said that his manager has those tires on his demo and said they were great. He could give me 4 of those for less than 3 of the Latitudes, Yokohama is offering a $60 rebate and I'll get about $125 in assistance from Michelin due to the breach of the warranty on the existing tires. Just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with these tires that I could consider as I make my decision.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-31-15, 01:22 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bridgestone TDueler H/L 422 Ecopia 19" Tires

4 new Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia 19"

H instead of V which only affects you if you drive a lot faster & corner a lot faster than normal

$761.80 out the door & a Bridgestone $70 rebate taking it down to $691.80
Lifetime balancing, rotations, and Road Hazard included

1. Is this a fair deal
2. Is this tire working well for others?

Its a 65,000 mile tire allegedly

I had Michelin Latitude on the RX that they wanted $400.00 more for

Please let me know thanks Dorothy

Last edited by dotbowels; 08-31-15 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread