RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 07:26 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EasyAs123
I am interested! I will need to put new tires on in August. I purchased my vehicle used mid-August last year and I've already put 18k miles on it! That's what happens when you are checking out colleges. I will soon have 40k miles on the vehicle with the original tires.
Sorry for delay They are the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. So quiet. Smooth. Helps soften up the ride. Kick *** tires! http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passe...a-Touring.aspx
Old 06-25-16, 03:33 PM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement Tires

Currently have 21k miles on 2013 RX; have been told there is 4-5 /32's of rubber left so I guess I will need to replace the tires soon. This seems quite disappointing to get such poor mileage on the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. I prefer getting tires at Costco and am considering the same tires, the Michelin Premier LTX (less expensive) and Michelin Defender LTX.

Those of you that have replaced your tires, what have you chosen and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 07-19-16, 10:46 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires are you using?

I have a 2012 RX350 FWD that is terrible in wet weather and not so good in dry. I have the 235/55 19 Michelin Latitude Tour HP that were brand new when I bought the car from the dealer as a one year old loaner car.

With these tires, the car easily hydroplanes and tire spins even on dry roads (even when they were new). I'm not a slow poke driver but I don't have this issue with other FWD cars I own. So, either it's the tires or the car, either way something has to go.

I'm going to buy new tires in the next few weeks and hope this solves this issue. So, for those especially with FWD, what are you using?

I live in Florida and don't plan on winter or off road driving.

Thanks
Old 07-19-16, 11:13 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I just found the tire thread.

I'm surprised that so many people are having good luck with the tires I can't wait to get rid of. Maybe it's the car, I made a big mistake getting the FWD and not the AWD thinking I would gain a few extra MPGs. That was wrong.

Maybe my only way out is to change cars,

Last edited by CoastalRX; 07-19-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 07:11 AM
RobertGift
Driver

I would buy the lowest rolling resistance HIGHWAY tread tires - if they have HIGHWAY tires.
Ask the tire dealers what they recommend.
I buy the highest mileage tires, 90K, assuming the rubber may be harder to attain 90K and therefore less rolling resistance.
I always accelerate gently, keep the tires 2 psi below Maximum on the tire and reduce weight as much as possible. (Removed our Expedition's third rear seats and trailer hitch.) Also removed the RX350's roof back cross bars. Who uses roof racks?

Last edited by RobertGift; 07-20-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 07:38 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

I have nothing to reduce the weight and as much as that shouldn't matter, apparently it does. That's disappointing that such a nice car would have such a design flaw.
Old 07-20-16, 07:57 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You have to account for being in FL. The driving style is very different between North and South.
My RX gets a full workout when we go to FL, tires spinning and everything.
Therefore, demands from tires and feedback from drivers may be opposite, depending on the region.
Old 07-20-16, 08:03 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
You have to account for being in FL. The driving style is very different between North and South.
Therefore, demands from tires and feedback from drivers may be opposite, depending on the region.
Yep, that's the problem. And it doesn't take much for it to hydroplane out of your lane even at very low speeds, that's not safe. I was hoping that it was the tires and no doubt I can probably improve the handling with brand new and a different tread style but it looks like this may be a trait of the FWD RX that I can't eliminate.
Old 07-20-16, 09:17 AM
RobertGift
Driver

In the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area, I drove a Ford AWD Taurus, (police package?)
No problem, even twice over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.
Old 07-20-16, 03:00 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone tried Goodyear TripleTred CS tires? Looks like they're now available in our size.

I had TripleTreds as winter tire on my IS300 for a few years and couldn't wear them out. Great traction, both wet and dry. Decent snow performance.
The one thing I see is people being concerned with excessive noise in the truck version.
Any feedback?
Update: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9616139

Last edited by vlad_a; 09-15-16 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Do not buy these
Old 07-21-16, 08:56 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lester123
Currently have 21k miles on 2013 RX; have been told there is 4-5 /32's of rubber left so I guess I will need to replace the tires soon. This seems quite disappointing to get such poor mileage on the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires.
Lexus and other manufactures clearly state limited life of tires in specs. Look at small print #7 in the 2015 RX brochure
http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...X-Brochure.pdf

"Performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles depending on driving conditions"
Attached Thumbnails The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-image.jpeg  

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-21-16 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 05:31 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried Goodyear TripleTred CS tires? Looks like they're now available in our size.

I had TripleTreds as winter tire on my IS300 for a few years and couldn't wear them out. Great traction, both wet and dry. Decent snow performance.
The one thing I see is people being concerned with excessive noise in the truck version.
Any feedback?

worth looking into. Right now it will probably come down to this or the Premier LTX.
Old 07-22-16, 03:23 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Premier LTX will give you a slightly firmer ride and you will feel the road imperfections a tad bit more than say a dueler ecopia, etc...
Old 07-24-16, 09:32 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Default Your Winter tire recommendations.

Whenever there is a blizzard, it seems a hospital will call at midnight for a stat blood platelet delivery.

Any recommendations?
Should I just get WalMart's self-adjusting snow chains?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Autotrac-L...hains/46378914

Thank you.

Last edited by RobertGift; 07-24-16 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 08:20 AM
MarinRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RobertGift
Whenever there is a blizzard, it seems a hospital will call at midnight for a stat blood platelet delivery.

Any recommendations?
Should I just get WalMart's self-adjusting snow chains?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Autotrac-L...hains/46378914

Thank you.
The Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best winter tires I've ever owned. I just took them off about 2 weeks ago and replaced with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus for the summer to not wear the Blizzaks down but I have nothing but great things to say about how the Blizzaks did in the snow and ice up in Tahoe this year. Never had to think about chains - handled both uphill and downhill without an issue and drove right up a steep driveway with ~8" of snow on it without a struggle. The only thing I noticed is on concrete highways that have the small "channels" (or grooves? not sure what to call them) in them, these tires "tracked" to the grooves when at speed which gave a slight shudder in the car from time to time. Was a bit worrisome the first time it happened but once we realized what was going on it was easy to ignore. It'd be great to have a tire with all season performance that could handle snow and ice like the Blizzaks but also not wear quickly on hot roads but in order to not have to worry about chains (I always still carry them just in case), I'm OK swapping 2x/year.

Not related to your post but I've had the Pirellis on for about 1k miles so far and they're doing great - smooth ride, not much road noise and no handling issues as of yet - however we haven't had any rain so will need to see how they do on wet roads. We have a long roadtrip coming up that will really put them to the test and will report any new findings. FYI Tire Rack still has these on sale for $139/tire plus shipping for the 235/60R18 size.

Edit: I just opened up those self-adjusting chains you linked to and while I have no experience with them (and there are no reviews on Walmart's site) those look like they wouldn't last to long in rough conditions. The rope/cable(?) providing the tension looks teeny next to the chains and I'd be worried about that snapping or getting cut along with the device being used to tighten it. Again - I've never used these nor known anyone that has but I'd be wary if there aren't glowing reviews elsewhere...

Last edited by MarinRX; 07-25-16 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread