RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 09:04 AM
flynhi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any current opinions on whcih tires offer the smoothest ride for my 2013 RX 450h?

Tks
Old 10-13-15, 11:36 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gianttama
Sorry if this question was asked before, but the thread is too long for me to search:

Do our rxh need speed V rating? I checked the door sticker and couldn't find the info, the car came with 101v tires, I'm wondering if I could install a set of H tires.
A V speed rating is absolutely not needed. RX's are electronically limited to 108 mph. S-rated tires (112 mph) are fine for them, as long as they meet the load rating. That means that T-, and H- rated tires are okay too.
Old 10-13-15, 11:37 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingy68
Hmmm. I was hoping someone would be running the Verde with 'LR' in the description. I'm 100% sure the tyre will be ok to use, but just wonder if running a tyre with LR on the sidewall (so OE for LR) could potentially cause any issues with my insurer or Lexus warranty despite it being the corrrect tyre spec.

Thanks for looking Klitz. Much appreciated.

Yes the LR is Landrover. 'Verde' is available as OE for LR, BMW, Porche and Audi - but you specifically order them for those vehicles.
The company I ordered from (Camskill) sold the tyre as a 'generic' 4x4 tyre that suits the Lexus/ the 19" tyre size.
It was as they despatched the tyre they noticed the 'LR' and say it is Pirelli sending them out incorrectly as they should not have 'LR' in the description.
Checking further 'MyTyres' where you input your car reg. give the Verde as a suitable tyre - with the 'LR' in the description too.
Sorry for the double post.

Having worked as an engineer in a major tire manufacturing plant, my guess is that the only difference between the tires is the LR on the sidewall. There is about a 90% chance that there is no difference at all in the construction and tread compounds. As long as you are using the correct size and minimum load rating, the brand and model makes no difference to your insurer or the Lexus warranty. Use your tires with confidence.
Old 10-14-15, 04:59 AM
Kingy68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkeeney
Having worked as an engineer in a major tire manufacturing plant, my guess is that the only difference between the tires is the LR on the sidewall. There is about a 90% chance that there is no difference at all in the construction and tread compounds. As long as you are using the correct size and minimum load rating, the brand and model makes no difference to your insurer or the Lexus warranty. Use your tires with confidence.
Thanks very much. Appreciate that. My thoughts exactly but nice to get them confirmed by someone knowledgeable.

As it happens, the tyres arrived with me a short while ago as I'd decided to go ahead with them. There is an EU label on each tyre and this has the tyre spec followed by (LR).
I've checked the actual tyre sidewalls and I can't see LR anywhere. I think the supplier just wrongly assumed the LR marking would be on the tyrewall.
So, very pleased I went ahead and had the tyres delivered. Can now get them fitted with full peace of mind.
Old 10-21-15, 12:22 AM
wsdsingh
Driver School Candidate

So I bought a new set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires for my 2010 Lexus RX 350 from Mavis Tire (Niagara Falls, NY) in November 2013.
http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selector.../tire-details#

At the time, my car had 85k km on it. Today its at 123k, and after taking it in for a scheduled maintenance, the Lexus dealer advised me that the tires only have 2/16" and should be changed soon.

I was shocked to hear this as the tires seemed to have been "worn" after less than 40k km on them...but Michelin claims that they're built to last 90,000km and come with a 90k Treadwear warranty.

It was especially shocking because I know for a fact its not my driving....Prior to getting these tire's on, I was driving on OEM tires the up to the 85k km mark, and those tires were only built to last 80k...

Anyhow, I called Mavis Tire, and they said the only warranty they have is if there's anything wrong with the tire, they'll change it but pro-rate it for whats been used...and because my entire treads been used, there's no real warranty left???

Am I out of luck, or can I get something done about this?

Paid a total of $1025 USD for the set of 4 with alignment.
Old 10-21-15, 09:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Your link indicates there is a 90,000 KM treadwear limited warranty. It appears calculating from your mileage that these tires wore out in 37,000 KM. I would think they would pro-rate the difference in mileage since your tires wore out much faster. Did you rotate them every 5,000 KM? Are all 4 worn evenly? They often use the lack of rotation excuse to deny coverage.
Did you contact Michelin? Is Mavis tire still a Michelin dealer?
Old 10-21-15, 11:25 PM
wsdsingh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Your link indicates there is a 90,000 KM treadwear limited warranty. It appears calculating from your mileage that these tires wore out in 37,000 KM. I would think they would pro-rate the difference in mileage since your tires wore out much faster. Did you rotate them every 5,000 KM? Are all 4 worn evenly? They often use the lack of rotation excuse to deny coverage.
Did you contact Michelin? Is Mavis tire still a Michelin dealer?
I don't know about 5,000...but definitely rotated them every 8-10,000 when I got my oil change/maintenance service completed on the car

I haven't contacted michelin as I assumed I had to go through the place I purchased it, but Mavis is still showing up as a dealer on the Michelin website.
Old 10-21-15, 11:27 PM
wsdsingh
Driver School Candidate

Front Driver
The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-jqo8jbd.jpg
Front Passenger
The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-xbbiqws.jpg
Rear Passenger
The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-prtyrnu.jpg
Rear Driver
The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-su9brph.jpg
Old 10-22-15, 07:52 AM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wsdsingh
Your tread doesn't look that low. Try using a penny instead of a toonie. I am guessing you're canadian, Canadian Tire sells tread measurement tool for like $5.

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/info...ireTreadDepth/
Old 10-26-15, 08:27 AM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flynhi
Any current opinions on whcih tires offer the smoothest ride for my 2013 RX 450h?

Tks
I just put on Michelin Premier LTX. Our other vehicle I had put Michelin Crosstours... the Premier LTX's are the next generation of that model. I know that the '16 Rx's will have the Premiers on them...

So far, after a week, I am very impressed. Our roads are horrible where we live, and I'm very surprised at how much quieter these tires are. Could be because they're brand new, but the sound and stability in the rain is excellent. I spent a LOT of time researching tires and concluded these were the best ones. Its hard to find a lot of reviews on them because they were just introduced this summer.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-15, 06:50 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

After 3 ½ years and only 25K miles, the Scorpion Verdes are gone. Unfortunately the tread was down to 4/32 and declining. Just this past week the traction light came on while braking on damp roads twice. And with winter coming up it was only going to get worse. So I decided to go back to a brand I’ve experienced good luck with over the years. Yesterday I had the Michelin Premiers installed by my fav tire place. They were around $215 a tire. With labor, balancing, alignment and tax, final cost was $1,100. It also came with a $70 rebate. Price was comparable to the dealer. Lexus had a promotion last month for $100 off but it did not include the Premiers. And I wasn’t interested in the Latitudes at $280.

I’ve only put a few miles on them so far. My initial impression I will say is positive. They are definitely softer than the Scorpion Verdes and absorb bumps well. But I’ll have to see how they perform on my daily drive consisting of hills with turns and railroad tracks. And rain is coming in next Thursday.

For other members with the Scorpion Verdes, I wish you better luck than me. Just to note, mine were purchased back when they first came out. Pirelli has apparently made some improvements including to the mileage warranty since then. I just couldn’t wait until 2/32 to file a claim with winter coming up.

So here are the Premiers on my 450h. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday getting the wax off with peanut butter. Still have a little to go but they look pretty good after a coat of 303. I’ll be sure to report back when I put a few more miles on them.
Attached Thumbnails The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-img_0067.jpg  
Old 12-02-15, 07:13 PM
beemergofa
Driver School Candidate

Default Falken PRO G4 A/S tires?

Anybody have any experience with the new Falken PRO G4 on their RX. I have a 2011 with 18" wheels and on the Discount Tire web site these tires are very well rated for my car and cost anywhere from $99-$128 per tire. V rated.
I'm not looking to buy the least expensive tire but these have an equal to or better rating than many of the most common tires for our cars (Michelin Latitudes, Bridgestone Dueller, Pirelli Scorpion, etc).
For the difference in price I may give them a try. Discount stands behind their tires and if I don't like them I can exchange them. ???
Old 12-03-15, 01:16 PM
Clutchless

I see they have good reviews at Americas Tire. I had Falkens back in the 90s and liked them enough to buy the same tire twice for my Mazda.

Found this trivia on the Nissan Juke forum:
Many people don't know but Falken is owned by Sumitomo rubber, #2 in Japan. Sumitomo OEMs Dunlop and Goodyear in Japan and they know what they are doing. Falken G4 is made in Thailand but I know production is under strict Japanese quality control. So far with only 20 mile drive, it is hard to say if Falken G4 is good for Juke or not. It is very quiet and comfortable. Steering feel is bit on soft side but not to the annoying level. Hope these tires last long time.

Found this on a Mazda forum:
At the recommendation of the Discount Tire guy I went with Falken Pro G4 A/S 205/50/16. I was a little weary as I could not find ANY reviews on this tire as it is pretty new but I did not want to go with a performance tire this time.

First off this is not a performance tire. My old worn Khumos handled better than this tire in the turns and there is some sidewall flex. I can't take some of my favorite turns as fast as I used to but thats ok. The ride and quiteness has transformed my car. I commute 60 miles a day and was wanting to just get a better riding tire that wouldn't beat me to death and the difference has been night and day. It is very quite and the ride is so much better.

Wet traction is very good and today I drove 30 miles in 2 inches of sleet and traction was very good. I had no problems getting traction even at starting from a complete stop on the ice going uphill. I dont think these will be a substitute for snow tires for you guys up north but down here in Texas they are an awesome all season tire, and they have a 65k mile warranty.

Sounds like a pretty good bargain tire if they hold up!
Old 12-03-15, 02:09 PM
beemergofa
Driver School Candidate

Question

Thanks Clutchless for your response and information.
Prior to seeing your response, I visited 3 Discount Tire stores today, looking at tires and asking a lot of questions.
Bottom line is I drove home with (4) Falken PRO G4 all season tires. Mounted, balanced, TPMS rebuild, supplemental road hazard warranty, taxes, all for $710. (In Utah the tires are $128 where elsewhere in the country I have seen them at Discount for $98. No, the Utah store said they could not honor that price....)

First driving impressions (about 25 miles so far about 1/2 on freeway at 70 MPH, balance city street): quiet tire on the freeway...not any difference I can tell with these tires and the Michelin Latitudes they replaced. I thought the handling was great...if not a bit better than the Michelins. Ride was definitely smooth over freeway expansion joints, better than my Michelins, but they were worn and 4 years old. I'll give it some time to reach conclusions but at the outset I am impressed overall.
Old 12-04-15, 01:59 PM
Clutchless

Great, let us know how they drive this winter and as the miles accumulate.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread