RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Old 06-04-15, 07:00 AM
nparmelee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here tried the Yokohama YK580 tires? They came on my 2010 and while the drive and handling have been good, the traction has pretty much stunk for me so I'm wondering about these tires. My 2008 was an AWD and the 2010 is FWD so I'm not sure if that is part of the difference. Had the Bridgestone Dueler's on the 2008 and had really good traction handling in all kinds of road conditions. Wet road control is definitely bad with the Yokohama's, but even dry road can be not so good. My traction control warning comes on quite a bit when I really wouldn't expect it to.
Old 06-05-15, 10:22 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by nparmelee
Has anyone here tried the Yokohama YK580 tires? They came on my 2010 and while the drive and handling have been good, the traction has pretty much stunk for me so I'm wondering about these tires. My 2008 was an AWD and the 2010 is FWD so I'm not sure if that is part of the difference. Had the Bridgestone Dueler's on the 2008 and had really good traction handling in all kinds of road conditions. Wet road control is definitely bad with the Yokohama's, but even dry road can be not so good. My traction control warning comes on quite a bit when I really wouldn't expect it to.
I put 17k miles on the 235/60R18/XL Goodyear BW Eagle GT 107V 50K, V=149mph, before switching to the 235/60R18XL 107H BW Yokohama YK580, 107=2149lbs, H=130mph.

I haven't had any traction dry or wet issues and the road noise is much better than goodyears. It might have less traction due to the LRR compounds. Are your tires worn?
Old 06-08-15, 01:48 PM
nparmelee
Driver School Candidate

The tires look pretty new, not really sure when they put them on. I had to replace OEM Goodyears on our 2008 in the 15-16K mileage area too, those were awful tires!!! The wet pavement traction does concern me, we had quite a bit of rain in Central Texas last month! I'm going to keep an eye on the Yokohama's and hope for the best. Overall I like the drive with these tires, just a little concerned about wet road traction. I had a little mushiness with them on some wetter days that I did not expect.
Old 06-13-15, 04:01 PM
relax221
Driver

Default 2013 RX 350 Tires

I only drive this car 6 months a year (snowbird) and looking for replacement

tires for flat street driving (city ) for comfort...any ideas ?

Mike
Old 07-01-15, 09:32 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3k in on new RX... And I can say the Dunlop stock tires are awful. Driving highway in the rain feels like driving on ice. And the backend spins out a bit on sharp curves when dry. Horrible traction. (I'm an easy driver on my cars... I'm averaging 24 mpg.)

Even though it's new, I'm going to replace them with Michellins soon. If their bad now, I can only imagine winter.

Am I right that these tires are awful or do I just get a bad lemon tire?
Old 07-02-15, 03:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

lili43, the Dunlops aren't great. Still I managed to get through three winters with them, no issues. I got rid of them as soon as grip declined. The backend slipping out is more typical when turning in the snow. Since you have time before winter, maybe wait until Michelin or the dealer has a promotion. Good luck.
Old 07-04-15, 08:27 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lili43
3k in on new RX... And I can say the Dunlop stock tires are awful. Driving highway in the rain feels like driving on ice. And the backend spins out a bit on sharp curves when dry. Horrible traction. (I'm an easy driver on my cars... I'm averaging 24 mpg.)

Even though it's new, I'm going to replace them with Michellins soon. If their bad now, I can only imagine winter.

Am I right that these tires are awful or do I just get a bad lemon tire?
Life is short and valuable. Get new tires!
Old 07-09-15, 09:31 AM
qjj123
Driver School Candidate

Anyone used BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A 235/60R18 Touring Tire?
Old 07-10-15, 06:18 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I just got Michelin Premier LTXs to replace the OEM Michelin Radial Xs that came with the almost-new 2010 RX 450h I bought in Nov. 2013 with just under 15 k on the odometer. I probably could've waited another 4,000-5,000 miles, but the Radial Xs' tread was getting down to the warning bars at 33,200 miles. The Premier LTXs, which replaced Michelin's Primacy MXV4 tires, just came out in 235/55-19R size for SUVs. I got them mainly because of their 60,000-mile tread-life warranty, and because they were "low-rolling-resistance" tires and a couple hundred dollars less expensive than the Green X Michelin Latitude Tours. I was also intrigued by new technology that makes these tires grippier on wet pavement even as they wear down. Because these tires were new on the market, I paid close attention to early reviews, and they were favorable. I haven't put more than 150 miles on the tires yet, but I can report that they seem to grip the pavement better than the Radial Xs did. The steering feels tighter and more secure than before. Gas mileage is about the same, as near as I can tell. However, the new tires seem noisier than the Radial Xs were and the RX's ride doesn't seem as smooth. I am hoping that the ride will quiet down and become smoother as the tires wear in.

For the record, I paid $948.25 at Tire Rack, including shipping, plus another $110 or so for installation at my local Big O tire store. The Latitude Tours, with a bit less tread-wear warranty (OK, only 5K miles less), would've cost me $1,168 before installation. I'm having a bit of buyer's pre-remorse because of the initially more jittery ride and hope I haven't made a mistake by not paying an extra $220 for the Latitude Tours.

Last edited by Aptosuser; 07-12-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 08:45 PM
qjj123
Driver School Candidate

Just installed Latitude Tour HPs today on 2013. I seem to be hearing little more road noise. Not sure if it is just me or it is normal for the first few days. Any ideas?
Old 07-13-15, 08:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Aptosuser, I think you're the first to get the Premiers so unfortunately we don't have input from other members. Have you checked your pressure? Maybe Big O set it too high. I know you can check in the cabin but do it manually as well. I find a pound difference typically. It might be a matter of playing with the pressure until you find a comfortable spot. The firmer ride is also probably from the higher treadwear grade. My Dunlops (280) were mushy compared to the Pirellis at 600. I've put on almost twice the miles with minimal wear so there is an upside. Give it some more time. Chances are you'll get used to the Premiers. Please report back.
Old 07-13-15, 09:07 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We bought 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires a month or 2 ago, and have been really happy with them. They're terrific in the rain (we've had our share this year!), and confidence inspiring with improved stability in turns/corners in the dry. I was going to say that I can't wait to see how they do in snow, but I can. They're a lot quieter, too.

I felt a bit disloyal to Discount Tire when I bought these through the dealer, which matched the Discount Tire price. Discount has be VERY good to my family over the years. On Friday however, I realized why it was a good idea to buy them from the dealer after all! My wife had a flat tire when she ran over a screw, so I called the dealership service dept. They sent a guy over to where she works, and he put her spare on the car. He took the flat tire back to the shop where they found the screw, mounted and balanced a NEW tire. Then they and took it back and put it on the car and put away the spare. Total cost you ask? Just $18 for the labor to mount and balance, plus a tip to the guy that changed the tire twice!

Pretty awesome, if you ask me! I love Lexus service, and I'm sold on the Pirellis!
Old 07-13-15, 01:31 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Have you checked your pressure? Maybe Big O set it too high. I know you can check in the cabin but do it manually as well. I find a pound difference typically. It might be a matter of playing with the pressure until you find a comfortable spot. Please report back.
Anita, I am reporting back as directed. I did "play" with the pressure; I increased it and the ride is actually smoother now. I had asked the guys at Big O to set the tire pressure at 35 psi. But I think they set it at more like 34 psi, except for one tire which was at 32 psi when I checked. (This was all per the dash display.) I used a digital tire gauge to check the tires' pressures myself (first thing in the a.m. when the tires were cold) and then upped the psi to 36 in all four tires. That seems to have smoothed out the ride quite a bit. I think I will like these tires, especially the way they grip the pavement. The steering is much firmer with these new Premier LTXs than it was with the OEM Michelin Radial Xs that came with the car.
Old 07-13-15, 01:39 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I bought these through the dealer, which matched the Discount Tire price. .... I realized why it was a good idea to buy them from the dealer after all! My wife had a flat tire when she ran over a screw, so I called the dealership service dept. They sent a guy over to where she works, and he put her spare on the car. He took the flat tire back to the shop where they found the screw, mounted and balanced a NEW tire. Then they and took it back and put it on the car and put away the spare. Total cost you ask? Just $18 for the labor to mount and balance, plus a tip to the guy that changed the tire twice!

Pretty awesome, if you ask me! I love Lexus service, and I'm sold on the Pirellis!
I hadn't thought of buying tires through my Lexus dealer, but on the other hand, the dealership is about 40 miles from our house in Monterey. There is no Lexus dealership here in Santa Cruz County. Other than going to Monterey, I'd have to go "over the hill" to San Jose to get to a Lexus dealer. This could put a bit of a crimp in the service. I have bought tires at Big O in the past. If you buy your tires from them, they provide free tire rotation and I believe they will fix flats for no charge. But they won't come to you.
Old 07-13-15, 06:19 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
I hadn't thought of buying tires through my Lexus dealer, but on the other hand, the dealership is about 40 miles from our house in Monterey. There is no Lexus dealership here in Santa Cruz County. Other than going to Monterey, I'd have to go "over the hill" to San Jose to get to a Lexus dealer. This could put a bit of a crimp in the service. I have bought tires at Big O in the past. If you buy your tires from them, they provide free tire rotation and I believe they will fix flats for no charge. But they won't come to you.
Right. IMHO, it's worth the inquiry next time you are talking to your SA -- even with your little longer drive, so you know what the dealership (not Lexus) policy is, should the need arise. My last 2 Lexus dealers will match other local big name tire dealers in their installation and purchase price, and provide a similar "if you get a flat, we'll fix it for free" sort of guarantee. Interestingly though, my Lexus dealership charged $50+ to fix a flat from a screw that I'd picked up somewhere on a new tire on my 2013 purchased from them less than a month earlier... and while I was sipping my cappuccino and being told it would cost me the 50-bucks to fix, he mentioned their policy if I ever need new tires. It's VERY strange (and my SA sorta shrugged his shoulders when I asked him why the difference), but as much as I've had good experiences with my local tire dealers in the past, should I need new tires on my RX, I'll probably call my SA and get whatever sort of tires I want on it for the same price... That way I'll have no issue should a problem come up with tire pressure sensors, having them reset when the new tires are installed, etc... The disadvantage being I can't go to another Lexus dealer to get that flat fixed for free like a I could with some national tire chains,. The Lexus dealership of course is hoping I need an alignment with the new installation, so it's a likely reason they go for the perhaps lost leader... ).

...now, if we want to talk about my MBZ, well, the best two local dealerships offer is 10% off their normal (higher) price because I have a MBZ Club of America card, so I'll let you guess where I'll be headed when I need new tires on that toy.

Last edited by BertL; 07-13-15 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Fixed crazy autocorrect (that wasn't correct) once again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread