RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ECO mode setting on/off questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 08:43 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default ECO mode setting on/off questions....

Okay, i'm a bit confused. I just got a 2010 RX450H CPO. I notice when driving ECO light comes on/off based on acceleration etc. in the dial (similar to RPM etc). However in reading posts, then using the controller on the steering wheel, i may not even be in ECO mode? It comes up ECO........EV..........ECO snow or whatever. But both ECO and EV show off? I'd think ECO would show on and stay on until changed? I'd drive back and ask the dealer but thought i'd questioned here. Might be one reason i can't seem to get local MPG much past upper 23's.
I'm sure the owners guide has but thought best to ask current users....... thanks.
Old 02-21-13, 08:58 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

ECO mode as set by the steering wheel switch changes how the car responds to climate control settings and sensitivity of the gas pedal. When on, climate control settings are a little less demanding of energy and the gas pedal is less sensitive to help you ease off on jack rabbit starts.

The ECO light is unrelated, it is simply is like a to supposedly encourage you not to be stomping on the gas pedal all the time, and corresponds to the first two sections of the hybrid gauge.
Old 02-21-13, 09:36 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Default ECO mode on steering wheel etc.

Then should i leave it off for normal driving? Or would setting it to on improve MPG as well. It's winter, cold, and understand MPG will be better (hopefully) in warmer months, but started to wonder if it was supposed to be in the on vs. off mode. Considering my first car was a 1969 Mustang, things have gotten alot more complex over the years. Slow learner i guess.
Old 02-21-13, 09:57 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

It's strictly personal preference, the difference in fuel economy is about 1 or 2 mpg I think for most people.

If you like fast starts, or want the heater or A/C to work faster in Auto setting, leave it off. Otherwise, if you want the best fuel economy possible, leave it on.
Old 02-21-13, 10:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I was running our Prius in the Eco mode for the first few weeks after getting it. It got old real fast. After that, I almost never used it. Same goes for the RX.
Old 02-21-13, 10:26 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Default ECO mode etc.

Okay. I'll give it a try in ECO mode on. Be interesting to see difference, but if slow starts and the "bird" starts getting flipped my way, may be sooner than later turning it back off. thanks.
Old 02-21-13, 11:01 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine has been off for most of the three + years I've had it. I just go easier on the throttle and fuel economy hasn't suffered. But the car 'does' warm up faster .
Originally Posted by raviola4
Okay. I'll give it a try in ECO mode on. Be interesting to see difference, but if slow starts and the "bird" starts getting flipped my way, may be sooner than later turning it back off. thanks.
Old 02-21-13, 11:09 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I posted a question just like this when I collected my RX450h F Sport. Sport mode, Eco mode as well as Snow mode is controlled via the steering wheel buttons. EV mode is turned on using the switch in front of the armrest, near the Remote Touch.

Basically, EV is fine for city driving where you will be stopping and starting often. It will automatically turn off however, with a BEEP sound when you accelerate sharply. Ive never used it cos it annoys me and has a low range.

Eco Mode is designed for economical driving, hence the name. It tones down the throttle response and basically makes the car very slow and sluggish. I speak from personal preference. But yes, it does however, help with MPG.

Normal mode is just normal. The hybrid system acts depending on how much throttle YOU put in to it. There's no toning down of throttle response and is great for everyday use.

Sport mode pumps up the throttle response. The car feels much more urgent. The steering is tightened up and the lateral damper system works overtime to help reduce vibrations. Its great for highway driving.
Old 02-22-13, 10:53 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

It seems like most people that have posted regarding "Eco" mode, move away from it pretty quickly. The benefits it provides, seem to be offset by the lack of throttle response, which requires more input to achieve normal acceleration. The mileage benefit seems minimal at best. It will be interesting to see if the OP has a similar experience.

I like the idea of "sport" mode on the highway! I hadn't thought of that! I wish whatever setting you chose, would remain after turning off the car, though. Does it default back to normal after being in Eco, or just after being in Sport?

Last edited by Woodrow; 02-22-13 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-22-13, 12:02 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Prius used to stay in Eco, but I think it reverted back to normal from Sport. Never tried it on the RX, but I expect it to be the same.

I use EV when driving through our development and parking in the garage. Unfortunately, unlike the Prius, it is not allowed when just starting to drive.
Old 11-25-13, 02:00 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned on the eco mode in our '10 RX450h and now I want to turn it off. But when I follow the manual's instructions all I get is an option to toggle the eco indicator. I know I found the thing before, but I'm damned if I can now. What am I missing?

By the way, we've been running our '12 Camry hybrid in eco mode almost since day one. My wife drives it and she's averaging 41 mpg.

UPDATE: Never mind, I figured it out. I needed to push the menu button more than once to get where I wanted to go. I've turned off eco mode and will see what happens to fuel efficiency without it. I already drive with a very light touch on the gas and brake pedals. I just filled up the tank for the first time since I got the car nine days ago and averaged 24.6 mpg over 163 miles. That was mostly citified suburban driving. I expect to do better on the next tank.

Last edited by Aptosuser; 11-25-13 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Updating