RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

FDToth's Odd Sound Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 12:58 PM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post FDToth's Odd Sound Thread

Hi guys,

As i wrote many times, we have 2 Lexus Rx450h in Europe, Hungary . We bought them in 2010. We have problems with this sound since 2011 but nothing happens! Last time when we were at the dealer they show us a relly new 2013 RX450h, with 2-3 km, but in that brand new car, this cliking and rattleing noise is there! Lexus (or Toyota) sais that it is not normal but they can't do anything! They could changes the cars if any one of the new RX450h would be without this clicking or rattling noise, but they say all of the RX450h (In Euorpe!) have the same problem!
At our first car the brakes and the other parts of the brakes were changed 5 times!!! But it is worse than before! Now we have these sound on both cars:

It is a shame to park or drive reverse with these car! They are beeping all the time! Ervey poeppple on the street watch us while parking! This is not a premium car!

We had Lexus RX400h for 2 yeras it was such a wonderful car, but the Rx450h... These noises form teh brakes/suspensions,,,, they are terribel!

The dealer tries to solve the problem with many services but is is inefficent!

We can"t do anything!!!

(Sorry for my english)

Regards,

FDToth
Old 12-21-12, 06:14 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FDToth
Hi guys,

As i wrote many times, we have 2 Lexus Rx450h in Europe, Hungary . We bought them in 2010. We have problems with this sound since 2011 but nothing happens! Last time when we were at the dealer they show us a relly new 2013 RX450h, with 2-3 km, but in that brand new car, this cliking and rattleing noise is there! Lexus (or Toyota) sais that it is not normal but they can't do anything! They could changes the cars if any one of the new RX450h would be without this clicking or rattling noise, but they say all of the RX450h (In Euorpe!) have the same problem!
At our first car the brakes and the other parts of the brakes were changed 5 times!!! But it is worse than before! Now we have these sound on both cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtGMSlWhLI

It is a shame to park or drive reverse with these car! They are beeping all the time! Ervey poeppple on the street watch us while parking! This is not a premium car!

We had Lexus RX400h for 2 yeras it was such a wonderful car, but the Rx450h... These noises form teh brakes/suspensions,,,, they are terribel!

The dealer tries to solve the problem with many services but is is inefficent!

We can"t do anything!!!

(Sorry for my english)

Regards,

FDToth

Has your dealer tried to grease the back pad with brake grease and the slide area?
The noise is almost gone for my 2011RX350. My wife drives the car daily. Today when she pulled into
the garage, I don't hear any noise.
This must be a known issue because my dealer knew exactly how to remedy the noise.
Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails FDToth's Odd Sound Thread-001.jpg   FDToth's Odd Sound Thread-002.jpg   FDToth's Odd Sound Thread-003.jpg   FDToth's Odd Sound Thread-005.jpg  
Old 12-21-12, 06:34 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PghJeff
Hello all, getting close to finalizing a purchase of a 2013 RX350. Is this something I should worry about or is it just effecting a select few? I realize that a lot of time only the ones having problems post in these type of threads. Are there some with higher mileage that haven't had this happen? Thanks and this is a very informative forum!!

~Jeff
My wife drove a loaner 2012RX350 with less than 10K miles. And she heard the noise too.
Old 12-25-12, 05:14 AM
FamilyRX
Rookie

I used to work at a Lexus dealer in the 90s and we had the same issues with some of the models. Additionally, my wife's '93 Corolla used to make the same noise. The fix back then was to replace the hardware (fit) kit and lubricate the corners of the brake pad (not the friction material, but the "ears" that slid in the hardware kit). The clips that mount to the caliper bracket often did not have enough tension and allowed the brake pad to shift in the bracket.

FamilyRX
(coming soon)
Old 12-29-12, 08:05 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Still pondering why some cars make noise. Some don't.
Old 01-20-13, 11:41 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Has your dealer tried to grease the back pad with brake grease and the slide area?
The noise is almost gone for my 2011RX350. My wife drives the car daily. Today when she pulled into
the garage, I don't hear any noise.
This must be a known issue because my dealer knew exactly how to remedy the noise.
Here are a few pictures.
Thank you for the pictures!!! i dont remember that the dealer did it or not with the parts of the brakes. Our dealer don't do anything We try to solve problems now with our lawyer.
One of our car makes this clicking noise more frequently than the other

Do you think that the sound on this video (applying the brake when the passengers get in the car):

Thank you
Old 01-20-13, 11:53 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Still pondering why some cars make noise. Some don't.
Lexus says that the abnormal noise from the brakes is there because of the developped performnce of the brakes. (and the clicking noise???)
In 2009, when the RX450h model entered the market in Hungary, there wasn't problem with the brakes and with their noise at the quality control. This could be true, cause our problems with the brakes (or suspension???) strated in 03.2011.
Lexus also says that they know this problems (construction failure) but can't do anything, hopeing that this noise won't be there at the next generation of the Rx450h... But these are not enough for many owners who have Rx450h 2009-
Old 01-26-13, 06:28 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FDToth
Thank you for the pictures!!! i dont remember that the dealer did it or not with the parts of the brakes. Our dealer don't do anything We try to solve problems now with our lawyer.
One of our car makes this clicking noise more frequently than the other

Do you think that the sound on this video (applying the brake when the passengers get in the car):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7XsrAvUdBY

Thank you
I do have that noise, but much lighter noise and it happens only when I have my E-brake engaged.

My 07GS350 does the same thing when I have my E-brake engaged.
So I brought it in for the dealership to check out. They said it's normal. Pads are shifting due to suspension movement.

Here's how to duplicate it.
1. Engage E-brake (in your case applied the brake)
2. Get in the rear seats (or bounce the rear end).
Then you will hear the noise.

Didn't hear any noise since they greased up the RX350 brakes.

I am curious, do you see the Slip indicator on a lot on your car?

Last edited by chuckGS350; 01-26-13 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 06:36 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

I do have that noise, but much lighter noise and it happens only when I have my E-brake engaged.

My 07GS350 does the same thing when I have my E-brake engaged.
So I brought it in for the dealership to check out. They said it's normal. Pads are shifting due to suspension movement.

Here's how to duplicate it.
1. Engage E-brake (in your case applied the brake)
2. Get in the rear seats (or bounce the rear end).
Then you will hear the noise.

Didn't hear any noise since they greased up the RX350 brakes.

I am curious, do you see the Slip indicator on a lot on your car?
Thank you for you answer!

My e-brake is not engaged just applying on the brakes and you can hear these noise.
Approx. 1-5, 2 yeras ago there was problems with the e-brakes, the dealer solved it with cleaning some parts.
I am going to try what you have written, but i havent realised yet noises when the e-break is engage

Slip indicator: it appears 1-2 times per month but just for 3-4 seconds, then nothing. if slip indicator ocmes on and "stays" there for a while - this is problem, but whn it flashes, i don"t hink so..
Old 02-15-13, 01:44 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Hy Westyfield,

Just a general question: as the f-sport versions of the RX450h have different suspension/brake system, or 100% same as the "normal" RX450h?

On you vehicle, could you hear same noises like on these videos:?

When you get into the car (without e-brake, just applynig on the brakes)

Reverse, beeping noise:

and other two:

Thank you in advance for your answer,

Greetings,

Ferenc
Old 02-15-13, 09:53 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans
I am from the UK. My RX450h F Sport does not make these noises. Neither do any of the other RX's I have driven and tested. Looks like there is a problem with your car.
Thank you very much for your important comment! We know that our cars have problems, but neither the dealer nor the importer does nothing. They say this is normal sound on every RX450h but this can't be true.

I would relly appreciate if you could make similar videos like we did, beacuse these could be a really strong evidence for us!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Greetings,

Ferenc
Old 02-15-13, 05:23 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

FDToth,

In your beeping in reverse video, is that your proximity sensors of the parking assist system sensing a nearby obstruction? Does the beeping stop when you put the car is park? Does it do it when some one walks in front of the car?

Is the squealing your brakes?
Old 02-16-13, 11:29 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwlink
the beeping noise in the interior sounds like audio feedback, but it occurs prior to any audible sound coming from the speakers. Most likely, some connection to the amplified is improperly shielded.
I don't think that it is the parking assists "beeping sound" or interior sound (audio system is off). i made this interior video to demonstrate how loud is this sound when you are in the car.

Here are some videos, exterieur, you can hear the same noise (no parking beep and without audio system)

Not as loud as on the other car:

Unitl 0:22 sec (exterieur, audio system and parking assist off)

Until 0:50 is interesting (extrieur, audio system off, parking assist off)

This beeping sound on the "almond brown" colour car is always there while forwarding, reverse just sometimes, it is random.
On the 'silver' car, there is beeping sund while reverse but as i noticed, 75-80% when the wheather is rainy.
Old 02-16-13, 11:39 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
FDToth,

In your beeping in reverse video, is that your proximity sensors of the parking assist system sensing a nearby obstruction? Does the beeping stop when you put the car is park? Does it do it when some one walks in front of the car?

Is the squealing your brakes?
This beep sound is not the sound of the parking sensors. you can hear them parallel. When i put it 'p', theres is no sound, the parking assist is not active.

Squealing from the brakes? Our dealer and the importeur say yes, but they don't know exactly, they don't do antything.
In this topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...low-speed.html chuckGS350 wrote me something how to solve it (page 2)